this is all you need to know

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

this is all you need to know

Post by dead man walking » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm

des linden, winner of 2018 boston marathon, in march:
Some days it just flows and I feel like I’m born to do this, other days it feels like I’m trudging through hell. Every day I make the choice to show up and see what I’ve got, and to try and be better.

My advice: keep showing up.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: this is all you need to know

Post by Bram » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm

I just started a book called "Mastery" by George Leonard.

The whole point of the book seems that you need to accept that the vast majority of your time improving is going to be spent on plateau after plateau. A little improvement, a little step backwards and a long gap between the next measurable increase in ability.
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:07 am

dead man walking wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm
Some days it just flows and I feel like I’m born to do this, other days it feels like I’m trudging through hell. Every day I make the choice to show up and see what I’ve got, and to try and be better.

You might really enjoy this podcast. It's on heavy rotation for me.

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2018/04 ... athon.html
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:32 pm

thanks. i'll give it a try.

i read magness's book, which i think is excellent. it has more detail than an old three-speed schwinn with a rusty chain like me needs.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:44 pm

I really needed that today. Funny, because I just listened to the damn podcast yesterday.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:56 am

dead man walking wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:32 pm
thanks. i'll give it a try.

i read magness's book, which i think is excellent. it has more detail than an old three-speed schwinn with a rusty chain like me needs.
You'll most assuredly enjoy the podcast in this case. He and John Marcus are really pretty brilliant at distilling useful science into sound practice...Marcus uses too many 50 cent words. I've put quite a lot their endurance training notions into play in my own strength coaching practice...much more so than any other strength biased coaching resource.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 am

dead man walking wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Pretty much rule 1 of my Training Approach.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 am

here's a new piece by magness, pointing out flaws in crossfit endurance training. you needn't go thru it, but do read the first sentence. that is why i am posting the link:

https://www.highperformancewest.com/blo ... ont-get-it

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 pm

BMacNCheez has allegedly privately admitted that CFE principles DO NOT WORK for long events for everyone, they really only work for someone who has a massive base of successful endurance training and competition and who then, for whatever reason, decides to focus on quality of training v quantity of training, and then they only work for about one racing season.

Currently he is very keen on breathwork and Wim Hof shit, and sucking up the Laird Hamilton and Gabby Reece.

If there is something that points to breathwork and the Wim Hof method as bunk, it's BMac taking up it's cause.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:05 pm

So, Magness, who is actually revisiting something he wrote years ago, is a bit late in getting behind the 8 ball with this piece. It's points are very valid, but CF has since changed it's endurance SME to reflect more mainstream thought. I haven't looked at the Runner's World piece yet that Magness is reacting to, but I figure it's just the same old stupid CF square peg pounded in a round hole.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Magness is one of the smartest writers in training today.

I think that the CF for endurance events idea is almost dead though.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm
Magness is one of the smartest writers in training today.

I think that the CF for endurance events idea is almost dead though.
Except that it has filtered down to the regular folks and sports coaches who don't ever read anything.

The general population is about 5-10 years behind things that we gave up on long ago.

CF style workouts seem to be almost the brand new thing in the large scale globo gyms.

And Tabata style workouts still seem to be a mysterious and magical prescription to a lot of people who haven't figured out what a micro-interval is yet.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 pm

TBH, Syaigh, then then they can bask in even lower 5K and half marathon times as well as myriad DNFs

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 pm

A bunch of my fellow personal trainer's just ran a local 5k.

Now, the 5k starts downhill for a mile (which is stupid), but nearly all of them strained something. I was actually shocked that running 3 miles fucked them all up: low back stuff, shin splints, ankle pain, calf strains, hip pain.

Part of me wonders if it's the cultural effect of praising high-intensity cardio for so long by Crossfit and other agents. I can't think of a single trainer I work with that I regularly see doing LSD cardio.

I opted out of the 5k, trained someone and then surfed, but I did a 10k in 2016 (basically the last time I ran) and besides nicely sore shins had no issues. For that 10k though I ran slow distances a couple days a week in the month leading up to it.
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:25 am

"Tabata Pilates"
Hot Pilates Legs - View Schedule
A fun and challenging full body workout using Pilates principles and high intensity interval training (HIIT), Tabata Training. Hot Pilates is specifically designed to create long, lean muscle mass, burn fat and increase fitness levels. The "legs" class will focus on strengthening the lower body, creating long, lean muscles.
Crossfit did that. There is no coming back, there is no saving it, it is and always was a disease. It still infects every possible outlet of physical culture.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 am

I read that in Theravada Buddhism there is a concept, The Power to Begin. In essence it means that ALL you can do is to begin doing something. What's going to happen next is pretty much out of your control. In Theravada it applies to meditation. You start following your breath, then your mind wonders away, you notice it and you begin following your breath again. In training the only thing you can fully control is begin (= turn up).

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 am

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:25 am
"Tabata Pilates"
Too late...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJAjL_fTwHA