Make Iron Garm Great Again

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Make Iron Garm Great Again

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 am

Bring back United Provinces of Kettlebellistan. The reddit kettlebell sub is for shitholers riding Pav's chestgreasy nutz.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Make Iron Garm Great Again

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Agreed
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm

IGX basically started its foulmouthed existence, and achieved its purest form, as a kb and pl forum. That plus hating on crossfit and Freido. If we want to MIGGA we need to offer people a service they can't get anywhere else.

With the total collapse of AKA, WKA, IKSFA, IKFF, etc. we have an opportunity to become the place where people come for legit KB discussion, and let's be honest, KBs attract vociferous loons which is entertaining and drives usage.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm
IGX basically started its foulmouthed existence, and achieved its purest form, as a kb and pl forum. That plus hating on crossfit and Freido. If we want to MIGGA we need to offer people a service they can't get anywhere else.

With the total collapse of AKA, WKA, IKSFA, IKFF, etc. we have an opportunity to become the place where people come for legit KB discussion, and let's be honest, KBs attract vociferous loons which is entertaining and drives usage.
Yeah, but... will Simple & Sinister grow my dick longer?

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 pm

UPK... too late for me. I sold all my kettlebells :)

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 pm
UPK... too late for me. I sold all my kettlebells :)
Sadly, there are no more kettlebells in Russia.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:20 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm
Fat Cat wrote:

Actually, S&S is an incredible product in my opinion and...easily, the best single workout accompaniment to BJJ I have ever tried. It is Pavel's best, most broadly useful product to date. I can go into it on a dedicated thread, but it's the rare product that offers what it claims.

Dux
Sgt. Major

Post by Dux » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Thats an easy fix.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt "

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 pm

Damn Dux, I'm not used to that level of efficiency.

OPEN FOR BIDNESS: http://www.irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:43 am

S&S and his beyond boobybuilding is his bets work yet.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 am

It's funny, over time I like BBB less and S&S more. Actually most of Pav's stuff is pretty weak, but Power to the People and S&S are legit. Also his stretching shit is solid.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 am
It's funny, over time I like BBB less and S&S more. Actually most of Pav's stuff is pretty weak, but Power to the People and S&S are legit. Also his stretching shit is solid.
Don't get me wrong, S&S is quite solid but, according to the people posting on the SF forum and Reddit, it's the answer to everything and beyond. Pretty much like Starting Strength and the Rippetoe nuthuggers crew.

I do like Pavel's S&S, PttP and 5x5x5 (the "Mind Over Muscle" program) a lot.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 am
Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 am
Don't get me wrong, S&S is quite solid but, according to the people posting on the SF forum and Reddit, it's the answer to everything and beyond. Pretty much like Starting Strength and the Rippetoe nuthuggers crew.

I do like Pavel's S&S, PttP and 5x5x5 (the "Mind Over Muscle" program) a lot.
The dick sucking over on reddit about S&S is an abortion. Actually reddit is an abortion. What is it about Pavel that attracts fanatics? That said, as a basic program that anyone can do, adhere to, and make progress on it's very legit, and the things that it does well: shoulder stability, grip, hips, breathing, etc. have superb carryover to BJJ.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 pm

I did S&S up to using the 48KG bell, though never quite got it under the 5 min time scale. It was good. Felt strong in the hips and back, shoulders were healthy, it's a good base layer program for men of a certain age.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 am

Damn 48 kg is diesel. Good for you. Did you feel like it had diminishing returns at that level?

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 pm

Never felt like the get up was more than mobility work. I get it, especially from the point of BJJ, but it doesn’t hit me as more than a warmup movement.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Really? I'm surprised. It's got a weighted shrimp, sit up, butt scoot, technical standup, lunge, posting, etc. It's almost a class on basic jiu-jitsu movements in a single exercise.

PS but for me best of all it helps with my lame left shoulder

terra

Post by terra » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Fatty, have you also tried KB arm bars for the shoulder?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm
Really? I'm surprised. It's got a weighted shrimp, sit up, butt scoot, technical standup, lunge, posting, etc. It's almost a class on basic jiu-jitsu movements in a single exercise.

Oh I agree. And for some it’s a solid move but it just doesn’t have a place in my routine beyond warmup. There are better movements for building strength and better movements for building endurance. As a warmup tool I like it because it’s use seems to shine in terms of mobility. To each their own though.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:51 am

The thing I profoundly dislike about S&S is putting a clock on the TGUs. It seems almost as counterproductive as trying to cram 'n' planches into five minutes.

I'd much rather do the swing part as a timed workout and then, just do five minutes of continuous and perfect reverse TGUs (Maxwell style) without keeping track of the reps.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:57 pm

I agree it's not something to rush, but isn't the actual prescription not to do it in a timed fashion most of the time? I thought you were only supposed to time it when a certain weight just felt effortless, then progress to the next weight incrementally.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:49 am

Dunn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 am
Fat Cat wrote:

Oh I agree. And for some it’s a solid move but it just doesn’t have a place in my routine beyond warmup. There are better movements for building strength and better movements for building endurance. As a warmup tool I like it because it’s use seems to shine in terms of mobility. To each their own though.
OK, I bite! If you had to name one exercise better for strength and one better for building endurance, what would they be?

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:28 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:49 am
Dunn wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 am
Fat Cat wrote:

OK, I bite! If you had to name one exercise better for strength and one better for building endurance, what would they be?
Squat for strength. Jogging or weighted waking for basic endurance.

KB-centric.....Half Snatch or C&PP for both in one go.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 am

Might add the get up (again).Helped my shoulders before and they are playing up again + I like the mobility aspect of getting up and down from the ground.That gets harder as I age.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc » Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:20 pm
SubClaw wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm
Fat Cat wrote:

Actually, S&S is an incredible product in my opinion and...easily, the best single workout accompaniment to BJJ I have ever tried. It is Pavel's best, most broadly useful product to date. I can go into it on a dedicated thread, but it's the rare product that offers what it claims.
Has been great for ultrawalking and running training - short break right now for some fun stuff with P bars and other kb stuff but will get right back too it soon enough