Shoes for Flat Feet

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

cimes
Sgt. Major

Shoes for Flat Feet

Post by cimes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm curious to see if folks here with flat feet have a preferred running shoe or hiking shoe. I'm not an overpronator- fairly neutral.

I was a fan of the Nike Lunarglide (6 was my favorite). The 7 not so much and liked the 8 but the soles are horrible about picking up little rocks. I also found they don't hold up that long and would usually show a lot of wear after 200 miles. I also like the Brooks Adrenaline but found their sizing inconsistent.

I'm really liking the Salomon's for hiking shoes (Ultra 2 GTX) and actually use those daily for walking to work. However, I need something a bit more substantial I think for some of the hiking I plan to do this summer.

CI
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Re: Shoes for Flat Feet

Post by dingleberry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:41 pm

I have the GTXs in both the high and low top. This model is awesome. I hike in both. The boots version is what I use when the pack gets over 25 pounds.

I don't have flat feet so I offer no help there.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:38 pm

dingleberry wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:41 pm
I have the GTXs in both the high and low top. This model is awesome. I hike in both. The boots version is what I use when the pack gets over 25 pounds.

I don't have flat feet so I offer no help there.
That helps and I think I'm going to get the high tops for some of my trips. I love the mids I have right now and my feet have been fine in them. Thx.
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:32 pm

"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 pm

I don't have flat feet, but the brand of shoes I use has supinators and should be of use for those who do. Ecco shoes. They don't have running shoe, but walking and everyday models are damn comfortable.

https://global.ecco.com/

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man » Sat May 05, 2018 1:35 am

Based on these factors, we found that the Salomon Men’s Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot were the best choice in hiking boots for men with flat feet and the Timberland Women’s White Ledge Hiking Boot the winner for women. Here are our top picks for 2017.

Men’s Boots
Salomon Men’s Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot
Merrell Men’s Moab Mid Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
Hi-Tec Men’s Logan WP Hiking Boot
Danner Men’s Mountain 600 4.5″ Hiking Boot
Vasque Men’s Inhaler II Gore-Tex Hiking Boot
Women’s Boots
Timberland Women’s White Ledge Hiking Boot
Merrell Women’s Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking Boot
Nevados Women’s Klondike WP Hiking Boot
New Balance Women’s WW1400V1 Walking Trail Boot
New Balance Women’s WW769V1 Walking Shoe
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Tue May 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks All - I actually just ordered those Salomon's yesterday for my upcoming Rainier trip after seeing similar reviews and the 2D is about $100 cheaper on Amazon now than the latest model(3D)

I totally agree on the Ecco brand. I have been wearing their Chukka's for work for several years after the Doc Martens started to bother my right heel.

CI

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 pm

I have flat feet. I can't wear anything with an appreciable arch so I cannot wear any Nikes. They will have my arches cramping in no time. If the arch of a shoe is pushing into my arch when I put it on I know the shoe will be painful to wear.

I have been comfortable running in what were being called "minimalist" shoes for awhile there, e.g., NB Minimus (have had 4 varieties of these) and the merrell barefoot models. I've also got some skechers go trail 3s that are great for when my feet are tired plus some NB Vazee Pace.

I wear slippers/moccasins much of the time since they let my flat feet do their own thing.