IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:42 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: I LIKE GRAPPO
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Okay, since I was gone a fair number of people have drifted away from this little island of sanity. When last I was here there were a few people who trained in grappling arts like wrestling, BJJ, and judo. I have no idea if that is still the case.

In October of last year I passed the 20-year mark for BJJ and the 37-year mark for MA in general. I still love it, although my body less so. I am currently 1st degree bb.

So, to get the ball rolling, are there people here who grapple and who are interested in having more content and discussion related to these arts?

Post subject: Re: I LIKE GRAPPO
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:35 am 

I started judo a year, year-and-a-half ago at a USJA-affiliated club run out of the local athletic club. Love it.

LOVE.
IT.

So now I'm a 52yo yellow belt. I go twice a week, except when I'm a sorry sad sack of shit who skips (like I did tonight). I'm half-decent at the sweep- and foot-related throws. Background in karate makes the stances and angles for those very intuitive to me. I'm weaker at the throws requiring knee bend to get under partner's weight — ogoshi, seoi nage, etc — I guess because turning 50 didn't do my knee bends any favors. I suck complete ass at the ne-waza, which is the grappling stuff: guard retention, guard passes, pins, pin escapes, etc. It's all a hazy cloud to me, and my stamina gives out when we start to do the serious reps that I need to learn the stuff.

But I'm learning shit, and it's totally fun. Every once in a while I nail a throw. Makes me a little more fit, too. Plus my wife says I'm always in a great mood when I come back from practice.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 am 
Jesus Christ®

Wow taking up judo at 52 makes you a stud. That's great I will try to post more judo content. Ashiwaza is the way for older folks so good for you for focusing on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:21 am 

Quote:
Wow taking up judo at 52 makes you a stud.
Technically I was merely 50 when I took up judo – two or three wks shy of my 51st bday. That's practically my 40s.

It's piano I took up at 52. :supz:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:48 am 

Quote:
Okay, since I was gone a fair number of people have drifted away from this little island of sanity. When last I was here there were a few people who trained in grappling arts like wrestling, BJJ, and judo. I have no idea if that is still the case.

In October of last year I passed the 20-year mark for BJJ and the 37-year mark for MA in general. I still love it, although my body less so. I am currently 1st degree bb.

So, to get the ball rolling, are there people here who grapple and who are interested in having more content and discussion related to these arts?
I've been training various forms of martial arts for almost forty years: Shoto Kan, Shito Ryu, Kyokushin, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Panatukan, Pekiti Tirsia, Balintawak,Krav Maga, Judo, BJJ and CSW.

So, fuck yeah! Let's talk about martial arts.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
Wow taking up judo at 52 makes you a stud.
Technically I was merely 50 when I took up judo – two or three wks shy of my 51st bday. That's practically my 40s.

It's piano I took up at 52. :supz:
LOL I like the cut of your jib, sir.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:46 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:

I've been training various forms of martial arts for almost forty years: Shoto Kan, Shito Ryu, Kyokushin, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Panatukan, Pekiti Tirsia, Balintawak,Krav Maga, Judo, BJJ and CSW.

So, fuck yeah! Let's talk about martial arts.

You're giving me a chubby right now brah. Lemme axe you tho: what is it that keeps you on fleek?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 am 

Quote:
You're giving me a chubby right now brah. Lemme axe you tho: what is it that keeps you on fleek?
What is it that keeps me going, after all these years?

Frankly, I don't know. I've been doing this for so long that I can't really picture myself without practicing some form of martial arts.

Thing is, I'm still motivated as fuck and I love learning new things. Grappling arts (my main focus for the past decade or so) are so vast and extensive that you can't get easily bored (I love striking arts but, after a while, practicing them becomes kinda stale, if you know what I mean).

Filipino martial arts, my true love (and the thing I suck most at), are brutal, fun and quite hard to "master". The older I get, the more I lean towards them. There is something primal about stick and knife fighting that I tend to gravitate to.

And lately I'm becoming more and more interested in Destreza (rapier and dagger Spanish fencing dating from the Late Middle Ages).

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:27 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I’ve been training BJJ for 5 years now. Got my purple belt in March. I love it and a direct benefit for me is my wife and daughter train with me, my wife has been doing it for 3 years and my daughter for 4, so it’s family time.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I’ve been training BJJ for 5 years now. Got my purple belt in March. I love it and a direct benefit for me is my wife and daughter train with me, my wife has been doing it for 3 years and my daughter for 4, so it’s family time.
Is that you EZ? I'm still tryna figure out who everyone is now.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
Is that you EZ? I'm still tryna figure out who everyone is now.
Yessir

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:31 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Good man, glad to hear you are well and enjoying BJJ still. Once it gets its hooks in you its hard to give up. Are you focused more on gi or no-gi?

PS Consider posting a training log again. We're getting the band back together.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:17 am 
Sergeant Commanding

As I have made known I joined the local BJJ school in January and I am 55. Really like it so far, though the rest of my body not so much a lot of the time. For the first month after every session everything was hurting until the next morning. It was also very deflating to be dominated by small girls, not being able to last the whole session and tapping out because of exhaustion. But it is all getting better. I love the playfulness of this art and am fascinated by the technique

Here is one of the videos that illustrate what I mean. For the life of me I cannot embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skD5OzHAve0

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I'll be 50 this year. I'd like to start BJJ, as there are several places nearby including

Rillion Gracie Missouri City
http://riliongraciemissouricity.com/
Gracie Barra Sugar Land
https://gbsugarland.com/
Leonardo Xavier BJJ
http://lxbjj.com/

LX BJJ is the oldest place, and the one I see a lot of LEO use. RG is the newest.

An online buddy goes to Gracie Barra Westchase and suggests I go there, it's generally considered THE place in Houston for BJJ.
https://www.gbwestchase.com/

Looking quick, do you have any opinions on any of these?

I am tight as fuck through the shoulders and have one sketchy knee, are these legit concerns or is it a matter of just tapping early and often?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

For Smet

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I'll be 50 this year. I'd like to start BJJ, as there are several places nearby including

Rillion Gracie Missouri City
http://riliongraciemissouricity.com/
Gracie Barra Sugar Land
https://gbsugarland.com/
Leonardo Xavier BJJ
http://lxbjj.com/

LX BJJ is the oldest place, and the one I see a lot of LEO use. RG is the newest.

An online buddy goes to Gracie Barra Westchase and suggests I go there, it's generally considered THE place in Houston for BJJ.
https://www.gbwestchase.com/

Looking quick, do you have any opinions on any of these?

I am tight as fuck through the shoulders and have one sketchy knee, are these legit concerns or is it a matter of just tapping early and often?
Re: website, it's really hard to tell and the real answer is you should go check them out. But, based solely on looking at the websites, the two Barra academies (Sugarland and Westchase) seem like the ones I would go check out first.

Re: tight through the shoulders and sketchy knee, you just have to acknowledge from the outset that you are a 50 year old man with some mileage and train accordingly with good humor about your limitations. Jiujitsu is actually a great choice for older men provided that they are intelligent in their training.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:16 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
what is it that keeps you on fleek?
Girlfriends son is a HS wrestler. 170s usually. I've sparred with him all season. To fuck with him I tap him out all the time. Wrestlers always leave a limb or a head out. Yesterday he finally sacked up and went with me to Currans' and give the BJJ a try. I think he's addicted.

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
what is it that keeps you on fleek?
Girlfriends son is a HS wrestler. 170s usually. I've sparred with him all season. To fuck with him I tap him out all the time. Wrestlers always leave a limb or a head out. Yesterday he finally sacked up and went with me to Currans' and give the BJJ a try. I think he's addicted.
Old Man, how long have you been doing it?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

since mid 90's I guess. Took it serious for years but no time the last 7 or 8. Just seminars and open mat nights now.
I've wrestled since I was 8 though.

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I wrestled in primary school. Went to comp in Grade 4. There were only 2 competitors in my weight class (under 25 kg). I lost and got second place.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 am 

Quote:
I wrestled in primary school. Went to comp in Grade 4. There were only 2 competitors in my weight class (under 25 kg). I lost and got second place.
Why did you quit GS, Smet? I think it would be the perfect complement for your BJJ practice. No need to achieve competition numbers, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:45 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I am thinking about doing long sets with light bells for endurance. Anything close to competition numbers with remotely respectable weight in addition to BJJ will be too much for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:26 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Quote:
I'm still tryna figure out who everyone is now.
I'm Ralph, the talking moose.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Hagbard! Yay! #mooseandrights

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Elegance: