I LIKE GRAPPO

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: I LIKE GRAPPO

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm

That's Jason Vigil of Island Jiu-Jitsu about three blocks from my house. He's a superb grappler in his own right. We here in Hawaii, uh, support the Diaz lifestyle.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu May 17, 2018 6:24 pm

On this here forum, Fatty's and Marco FP's logs inspired me to start grappling. I was 56 at the time; that was almost ten years ago. I'm still at it. In fact, I'm off to Open Mat in twenty minutes.

My current grappling fancies are: The Over/Under Pass, Bottom Half Guard, the Front Headlock to Schultz Headlock, and, from top All Fours, breakdown to 2 on 1 or 1 on 1, to Hammerlock submission, ala Melanson (You Tube).

I'm still experimenting to see if I can reliably get the Hammerlock after I secure the 1 on 1.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 pm

I feel better. I feel better every time I see someone my age on the mat, though most guys with grey hair are black belts.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Interesting commonalities: over under pass and bottom half is my jam.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm

For me it's usually: Bottom Half -> Underhook -> Bump him forward* -> Heist & secure leg.

From there, breakdown.

*If I omit this step, chances for success are cut in half.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Yeah so called single leg half. Have you seen Bernardo Faria’s material on that approach?

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm
Yeah so called single leg half. Have you seen Bernardo Faria’s material on that approach?
Not yet. I'm trying to control my instructional-whoreishness. I take it that Faria's Half Guard stuff is good?

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm

johno wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm
Not yet. I'm trying to control my instructional-whoreishness.
Just because he's the guy who won worlds with that technique. If you want I can share material.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 am

Another fascinating video Marcelo Garcia rolling with Bernardo Faria. What amazes me is how Garcia manages to stay on top, even though he is good 20 kg lighter.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Just because he's the guy who won worlds with that technique. If you want I can share material.

1 - Thanks for your kind offer. But if I decide to spend time with Faria's material, I'll buy it - I like to support artists & their producers.

2 - Would Faria's material translate well to No Gi? His promotional video for the Half Guard series struck me as very Gi oriented.

W.B. Yeats

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat May 19, 2018 5:50 pm

johno wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 pm
1 - Thanks for your kind offer. But if I decide to spend time with Faria's material, I'll buy it - I like to support artists & their producers.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sun May 20, 2018 1:48 am

Been in MA since I was a kid. First boxing, kickboxing, JKD, no gi grappling, Renaissance MA (armed and unarmed), and finally BJJ. Been pretty steady in BJJ for 3-4 years and currently a blue belt. The wife does Muay Thai. Now with a son there is even more desire to share the wonderful world of MA with him.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 20, 2018 6:03 am

I trained Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 5 years under Rodrigo Medeiros and Clark Gracie.

Haven't trained in a while, but loved it deeply for a few years.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun May 20, 2018 8:09 pm

johno wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:24 pm
I'm still experimenting to see if I can reliably get the Hammerlock after I secure the 1 on 1.

Getting the Hammerlock is not a sure thing. I'm pondering taking a Kimura grip from the 2 on 1 and progressing to Kimura finish or Armbar. Hmm.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun May 20, 2018 8:53 pm

johno wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm

2 - Would Faria's material translate well to No Gi? His promotional video for the Half Guard series struck me as very Gi oriented.
Understood. Re: nogi, he was Brazilian and European no-gi champion so he was relatively successful in that domain, but his claim to fame is in the gi: four time world champion, six time Pan American champion.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun May 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Thanks, FC.

W.B. Yeats

terra

Post by terra » Wed May 23, 2018 2:56 am

Still training Gracie JJ on and off.

More off than on unfortunately. I have now earned myself a shitty false-rib joint, so anytime it goes out i'm fucked for a couple of months minimum. Once it pops I can't even have someone lean on it for a while.

Makes it hard to progress, although i might get 9 months of training, increasing the learning curve and pressure, before someone goes for a clumsy knee ride and i'm sidelined again. Quite a few of the guys are my ongoing patients, which helps to maintain involvement/motivation even when injured. I'm sponsoring a couple of the Gracie guys for the world champs. I still enjoy it, though at 48 years old and 62kg i've resigned myself to be the token 'forever white belt', just heal up and get back at it.

Have also taken up Kali Pekiti Tirsia for last 18 months. A fairly practical variant of FMA from Grand Tuhon Gaje, via Uli Weidle in Europe. It uses the heavier sticks, not the tikky-tikky light stuff. My 'Filipino-esque' stature is less of a liability than with grappling, so I can maintain training Kali through any rib fuck-ups. Teacher is also solid in BJJ so he integrates it well.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 am

I just ordered Faria's No Gi Half Guard DVD.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 23, 2018 5:51 pm

I think you will be happy you did. He has changed my game more than any other in the past couple of years.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 am

I started BJJ this past year. Im 51 . I love it . My instructor is Ezra Lennon . It is the hardest thing Ive ever done. I wish I had more time for it. I wish I was 25 years younger. I wish...eh fuck it ..I got Gi at 530 tomorrow. I would greatly appreciate any and all conversations about this journey and if you would humor my questions ,I would be in your debt.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 pm

A tactic for a small guy I figured out. I tend to end up under larger guys at the start. If this happens I give them an arm for an arm bar and then use this escape.

Obviously this will not work with serious grapplers, but at my level it works more often than not. But timing has to be perfect. Look on the big guy's face when it happens - priceless...

terra

Post by terra » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 am

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 pm
A tactic for a small guy I figured out. I tend to end up under larger guys at the start. If this happens I give them an arm for an arm bar and then use this escape.

Obviously this will not work with serious grapplers, but at my level it works more often than not. But timing has to be perfect. Look on the big guy's face when it happens - priceless...
Duly noted and taking it to the mats on Friday. Thanks.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

MeatPlow
Staff Sergeant

Post by MeatPlow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:28 pm

I've been training over 3 years now. I am a 2 stripe Blue Belt currently. Been out since February due to a popped knee and just started back this past week. I began under a Carlson Gracie Jr. Black Belt association academy. As time went one I just felt that I simply was not getting any high level black belt instruction and had not progressed since I was a 3 stripe white belt.

There were a few guys in our academy that had left the head association and went under a Team SAS Academy. The Professor came down to our academy and taught a free seminar and that was it for me, I went under the SAS banner. Great thing, the entire academy followed the week after and we now have a new affiliate with a professor that will make the trip to ensure we are performing optimally.

So now, I am going to try to unlearn some bad habits that I have developed, thats first and foremost. Along with that is I will be drilling much more now than hard rolls. Hard rolling has its place and one needs to do it, but not all the time. My body was simply giving way. I've already told my team that my rolling will between 50-70% effort now, with the occasional 100% all out.

I hate being on bottom plain and simple. I want side control and murder you with grinding pressure. With that pressure slowly twist and grind you until you want to give me that arm.