intermittent fasting recap

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

odin
Sgt. Major

intermittent fasting recap

Post by odin » Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 am

...so what did we conclude on this one? Bullshit or worth the hype or somewhere in between? I'm talking about health and aesthetic benefits here.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

SubClaw

Re: intermittent fasting recap

Post by SubClaw » Mon May 07, 2018 12:54 pm

odin wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 am
...so what did we conclude on this one? Bullshit or worth the hype or somewhere in between? I'm talking about health and aesthetic benefits here.
I find it WAY easier to refrain from eating for a long stretch that trying to limit the portions.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 pm

It's an individual thing.

IF with good food choices seems to work well.
IF that looks like typical American diet (skip breakfast/coffee, shitty food for lunch, shitty food for dinner), not so well.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe » Mon May 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Just doing dinners since September for the most part and down lots of weight. I'm in a residential school environment, so it's easy to go to the dining hall for dinner (part of my pay...), have a huge salad with protein and eat relatively well after that. Still end most dinners with a big bowl of generic Cinnamon Toast Crunch and the weight is still coming off. There was a lot to start with though, so it's by no means a fine tuning thing.

The only problem I have is that if I do have a non-dinner meal, all sense of proportion is out the window. Breakfast out with the wife and boy yesterday was monstrous and I wasn't full at the end.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 pm

It didn't make any difference for me and I gave it a solid 14 months. Eating window was 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm. I neither gained nor lost any significant weight.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 pm

I did it for 4-6 weeks. I was the leanest I'd ever been and my hair and skin was the healthiest I can remember. Meat, fish, nuts, low-calorie vegetables, cheese and a tiny amount of fruit.

But I found it aggravating to not join friends for chips and drinks and gave up on it.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue May 08, 2018 3:03 am

:-s I have tried quite a few variations of IF: 5 to 10, leangains (not really IF in my opinion, just skipping breakfast), 24 hours on/off, warrior diet. No change in bodyweight or composition and I didn't notice any other claimed benefits, such as clarity of mind, increased energy etc. Though it was nice not to have post-lunch crash.

It seems, according to the existing data, that longer fasting is more beneficial. Apparently benefits start with 5 day fasting :-s There is another method, Fasting Imitation Diet by Walter Longo, 5 days very low calorie ketogenic diet. Research on cancer patients shows good results.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 am

I lost 50 lbs on it over the course of about 10 to 12 months.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue May 08, 2018 5:01 am

What about total fasting for 24-36 hours once a week? I kinda remember having read good things about it.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue May 08, 2018 5:48 am

From time to time I fast for 36 hours. Boiled egg on toast after that tastes like a culinary sophistication.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 am

I lost about10-12kg with "Start eat like an adult" principle.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue May 08, 2018 11:54 am

I've been working with a figure coach for the last three months doing the good old fashioned low-fat, high protein, moderate carb diet and have leaned out significantly while building muscle. I think the biggest reason for success is that when you are only allowed 57 grams of fat a day, you make a much bigger effort to eat low-fat carbs and lean protein. And therefore, don't overeat fat calories.

Anyway, IF worked for me as well when I was cutting for worlds, I fasted four days a week (on non weight training days) til about 5 pm and then only ate clean/lean protein and fruits or vegetables. On training days, I ate whatever I wanted, but still like a grownup. I would not want to do that long-term. I was really really hangry the last three weeks.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue May 08, 2018 2:45 pm

John Berardi or one of his writers had a good white paper based on their experiences

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

I am currently doing IF.

Lost 25 pounds since February. I just don't eat around 8 pm to 2 or 3 pm next day. I eat whatever I want and still drink beer.

Athletic performance hasn't suffered either as much as I can tell.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Post by dingleberry » Tue May 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Then here is this:

nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa » Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 pm

dingleberry wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:51 pm
Then here is this:

30 seconds in to that video and I hope he dies.

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Sat May 12, 2018 10:44 pm

I started losing weight in the fall of 2014. It took me probably 2 years to drop 55lbs (because my calorie restriction was conservative and I didn't give up booze). One thing that worked for me was basically one meal a day. When I was at my heaviest(220), I usually ate a good sized lunch going out with co-workers and then of course dinner. But, usually eating lunch was more just in response to someone asking me to go to lunch at work vs. being hungry. I never liked how I felt after eating lunch. That's not to say I never eat lunch (or breakfast) but it is the exception and not the rule. I personally am just not that hungry in the morning or during day and tend to function better without full meals. If I do get hungry due to working out in the morning and running, I'll opt for a bar a piece of fruit or something. But, never a full meal. I've managed to maintain the weight loss (and yes, I could still probably lose another 20-25lbs).

As an aside, when I started losing weight in 2014, I did track everything for the first few months. I wanted to understand my triggers for eating (or drinking) and it usually involved boredom or anxiety. Tracking helped me do that. While I can attest to exercise not being the key to my weight loss, one thing I will say is that choosing to be active (just walking) when bored or anxious is definitely my outlet vs. shoving food in my pie hole. That's probably made the biggest difference with maintenance.

I think folks evaluating IF for serious weightloss have to identify their triggers. Some people will do better with more frequent small meals, but that wasn't the case for me (I'm also pretty lazy when it comes to serious food prep) - so, an IF type thing or one meal a day continues to work.

CI
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Great result and great method. Vast majority of people cringe when I suggest keeping a food diary or, God forbid, counting calories. Too much hustle, you know, couldn't be bothered and so on. However, more serious effort means more impressive result. Understanding the details - actual intake as opposed to " eat only good food and not too much" - as well as triggers of overeating also means higher chance of keeping the result or even progressing further.

Damn impressive, Catherine!

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes » Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 am

Sangoma wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm
Great result and great method. Vast majority of people cringe when I suggest keeping a food diary or, God forbid, counting calories. Too much hustle, you know, couldn't be bothered and so on. However, more serious effort means more impressive result. Understanding the details - actual intake as opposed to " eat only good food and not too much" - as well as triggers of overeating also means higher chance of keeping the result or even progressing further.

Thank you! With the availability of Iphone Apps - it was too easy not to log food intake and track calories. I also learned more patience. It took me 2 months to lose the first 9lbs and more than 4 months to lose the first 20. Definitely different losing weight in your 40s than in your early 20s, but sustainable since i avoided any sort of severe restriction or something that couldn't be maintained. For the most part, I was keeping my calorie intake between 1800-2000 a few days I would drive towards 1500 and towards 2200. Should be noted that besides boredom and anxiety, I found intense exercise a trigger for overeating. A few folks over the last 2 years asked me what I did, and were shocked to hear that when I was starting to lose weight in earnest, I didn't exercise intensely. and actually avoided it I mainly did this to stave off any notion that I could eat significantly more if I were training intensely. I kept most workouts the first year to low rep barbell training to maintain strength, walking and then lower-intensity rowing and always mindful of an appetite spike due to exercise.

CI
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

For those who struggle with weight loss and want solid answers about IF, I suggest:
https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unl ... 1536682187

Dr. Fung is easy to read and packs in a shit-load of research. Caveat: his follow-up, https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-F ... TS0EHZBCD6 is written with everyone's favorite low-carb fatty, Jimmy Moore.

Full disclosure: I bought the fasting guide directly from Jimmy for cheap, and he signed it! \:D/
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 am

On apps, FitGenie on IOS is the one that's proven easiest and most versatile for me right out of the box.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri May 18, 2018 6:34 am

cimes wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:20 am
Sangoma wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Thank you! With the availability of Iphone Apps - it was too easy not to log food intake and track calories. I also learned more patience. It took me 2 months to lose the first 9lbs and more than 4 months to lose the first 20. Definitely different losing weight in your 40s than in your early 20s, but sustainable since i avoided any sort of severe restriction or something that couldn't be maintained. For the most part, I was keeping my calorie intake between 1800-2000 a few days I would drive towards 1500 and towards 2200. Should be noted that besides boredom and anxiety, I found intense exercise a trigger for overeating. A few folks over the last 2 years asked me what I did, and were shocked to hear that when I was starting to lose weight in earnest, I didn't exercise intensely. and actually avoided it I mainly did this to stave off any notion that I could eat significantly more if I were training intensely. I kept most workouts the first year to low rep barbell training to maintain strength, walking and then lower-intensity rowing and always mindful of an appetite spike due to exercise.

CI
In 2015 I paid for the services of the online bodybuilding coaches and he gave me a program. On lifting days, twice a week, I had to eat 2200 kcal, more carbs. Non-lifting - cardio and intake of 1400 - 1700. Two days a week - extreme loss, intake of 700 - 1000 kcal. Alternating intake made it easier. I got from 18% to 10% body fat in about three and a half months. I was fairly exhausted at the end, but unfortunately the coach had bipolar, and I think my peak of fat loss coincided with the onset of his manic phase. He wanted me to lose more - and more! - and I simply couldn't. Ate myself back up to the initial BF. That's why doing it in small increments, making small adjustments and taking time make the results way more sustainable.

I noticed that moderate aerobic exercise actually suppresses appetite, while lifting and intense intervals - as you mentioned - made me hungry. An hour on the stationary bike at six in the morning, and I could last without food until two in the afternoon. My coach was adamant that I should not lift more than twice a week. My loss was too fast: I started getting orthostatic hypotension and did not feel great overall. Again, too fast. At the pic of loss and a few weeks after I looked really good on the beach: abs, veins, gaunt looking face. Mini-macho. These kind of challenges, even done in suboptimal way, like in my case, are still great. You feel you can do something most people cannot.

terra

Post by terra » Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 am

I stumbled onto something interesting about a month ago. My thing is nervous system coherence as the foundation of health and a good life (aka the body is self-organising system that manufactures its own parts). These podcasts popped up whilst looking into some stuff about pineal gland and coherence (synchronising physiological clocks etc). I recognised Rhonda Patrick's name and listened to the 2 podcasts during a long drive. Fairly easy listening, good balance of science and lay-man's terminology.

Dr. Satchin Panda, is a professor at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and Dr Ronda Patrick has a PhD in biomedical/biochemestry. So this info is coming from a slightly different angle to that snake diet fuckwit.

We generally class nutrition into 'how much' you eat and 'what' you eat. But it could be that 'when' you eat has as much (if not more in some cases) leverage on resultant physiology and health markers/body composition. Seems pretty cool, with sound reasoning and some good studies. I liked it because their studies weren't pushing an idea, more asking questions and letting it evolve depending on the findings. In a nutshell its about sleeping/eating cycles with 15-16 hour daily fast (8-9 hour eating time).

Anyhow, I've been trying it, with no particular goal/desire, just to see what happens and have had some interesting (n=1) results:
Consistently wake with more energy/clarity.
More stable energy all day.
Noticeably less heavy lactic feeling at end of hard 800m swim 3-4x per week.
Also, I lost 2.5kg in 2 weeks. This was NOT a goal, and not necessarily a good thing for me, as I already weigh fuck-all. However, weight loss 'appears' to be mostly fat loss. My nutritional intake has not been cleaner. Maybe naturally a little less as i'm not snacking in evening. although I did very little of that anyway.

Just last night I broke 'the rules' and had a solid evening meal around 8:30pm (due to family member's birthday). Really noticed the food hangover this morning. Reverting to the protocol today and will see how things clear up.

Links to podcast...
Part 1
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-panda

Part 2
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-round-2

There's also a clip of a guy who followed this for something like 6 months and had some interesting results that (n=1) validated their research findings with improved heart health. Again, for me it wasn't so much about 'diet' but how we can better bring our system into coherence (hence the heart findings are pretty fucking cool).
http://blog.mycircadianclock.org/a-stud ... g-results/

From Prof Sachin's blog here..
http://blog.mycircadianclock.org/
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Tue May 29, 2018 8:47 pm

Lost 30 pounds since January. Most days, I just eat dinner. OMAD: one meal a day. I didn't give up booze or any one catagory of food. On my one meal, I try to eat sensibly. Recently went on vacation and gained a few pounds. I did an EF (extended fast, 48 hours) and was right back to where I wanted to be.

I think fasting is the way to go. You can change it up to see what works for you. Extended fast, intermittent fast, or a fast mimicking diet like Alternate Day Fasting or 5/2. Easier than calorie counting or most definitely easier than eating sensibly all the damn time.

I work out in the fasted state (well, I walk for five miles most every day.) The weight I lost seemed to come from the belly. I had to buy new pants. I was a 44. Now, to my surprise, 40s fit well.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed May 30, 2018 12:20 am

Terra, what was the "when" part of your experiment? Did you eat first thing in the morning and then stop 8 hours later?