IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:21 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Weekly Goals Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:10 am 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Goal for the week: avenge wildbill and smash Croatia in the semis. If England win I will renounce beer for a year. If they win the final I’ll make it four years. Best World Cup since Mexico 86. Russia has excelled.
Odin, I think I’ll copy your goal minus the giving up beer part 😁

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:31 am 
Sgt. Major

ha ha!! This has been an amazing tournament. First England team I've not loathed for about 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:41 am 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
ha ha!! This has been an amazing tournament. First England team I've not loathed for about 20 years.
The last one as good as this was Italy 90 imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 am 
Jesus Christ®

Goal for this week is four BJJ sessions. And getting your mom to stop calling me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am 
Sergeant Commanding

My goal for the week - yes, Bram, weekly goals are still gay! - is to survive. Came down with some sort of virus on Sunday evening, I don't remember my throat to hurt so badly it's painful to talk. Must be punishment for talking too much shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
48 hours of sleep last week (7 below goal of 55).

Goal for Week of Thursday night to next Friday morning:

55+ hours of sleep

:happiness:
Fuck me. 42 hours of sleep this week. Only plus side was I at least laid in bed without turning on the lights or the TV for 8 hours last night.

Goal from now to next Saturday, 55+ hours of sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

For the last couple of weeks I have consciously upped my cardio game and I can actually feel its positive effects. This week I've had one outdoor bike session, one outdoor run, and two indoor mashups of rowing/treadmill running. I'm going to keep after this awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:55 pm 
Lifetime IGer

The wife and kids are leaving town tomorrow, gone for a whole week. Woohoo! Stay-cation!

Goal is to do a couple of 20 mile MTB rides this weekend, and do something fun after work every day next week. Followed by steak and beer each night.

Oh yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:31 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
For the last couple of weeks I have consciously upped my cardio game and I can actually feel its positive effects. This week I've had one outdoor bike session, one outdoor run, and two indoor mashups of rowing/treadmill running. I'm going to keep after this awhile.
Outdoor time is almost always a good time. I also notice that cardio improves my mood and energy levels.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm 
Manpussy Apprentice

Met the goal of being a good patient with 100 percent no weight bearing on the broken surgically repaired foot.
New weekly goal starting Monday is to get into a regular waterproof cast so I can sweat and go swimming (at least get into a pool)

The iwalk 2.0 has been a mind saving device since it frees my hands up to do other things beside hold a crutch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Bram, do you have problems with sleeping?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Met the goal of being a good patient with 100 percent no weight bearing on the broken surgically repaired foot.
New weekly goal starting Monday is to get into a regular waterproof cast so I can sweat and go swimming (at least get into a pool)

The iwalk 2.0 has been a mind saving device since it frees my hands up to do other things beside hold a crutch.

I googled it. Cool looking support.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I more have problems with irresponsibility. Which leads me to drinking lots of caffeine around 4-7pm and playing video games until 1am, before I wake up for work around 630.

I've cut the caffeine and been in bed more or less on time the last 2 nights. It's also hot and humid, with no air conditioning, so that ain't helping either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:01 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Just added that to the list of things I wished I'd thought of first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:23 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

Fuck me. 42 hours of sleep this week. Only plus side was I at least laid in bed without turning on the lights or the TV for 8 hours last night.

48 hours. 55+ hours for next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:

48 hours. 55+ hours for next week.
I slept 13 hours last night. Had my three kids plus four more (one with diabetes who needed mid-night adjustments) at the beach for a week. Then added in lazy sister and elderly parents halfway through. I went to bed at 6 and didn't wake up til 7 this morning. I wouldn't recommend this method, but damn it felt good to just realize I was tired, lay down, and have my body actually agree to go down with me. It also helps that my kids can feed themselves. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

I slept 13 hours last night. Had my three kids plus four more (one with diabetes who needed mid-night adjustments) at the beach for a week. Then added in lazy sister and elderly parents halfway through. I went to bed at 6 and didn't wake up til 7 this morning. I wouldn't recommend this method, but damn it felt good to just realize I was tired, lay down, and have my body actually agree to go down with me. It also helps that my kids can feed themselves. :)
I like how the Zen or Taoist's put it: eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired. I envy you conking out for 13 hours straight, but it sounds like you earned it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:51 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

For me the most important step in getting over my insomnia was accepting that some nights I would have very little sleep and would be tired the next day. I used to take Zolpidem every night for years, and in July last year I just stopped it. I take Melatonin most of the nights, but very often it seems to have very little effect.

In retrospect I don't believe that eight hours of sleep a night is some sort of magical number. Sure, chronic sleep deprivation is not good, but getting shit sleep some nights is ok. If I feel too tired I will up my coffee, Nicorette gum or take Modafinil, then catch up with my sleep the next night - or after several nights. I don't follow a "sleep routine" and don't fret about sleep hours.

There are a few studies that question the idea of eight hours of sleep being the magic number.

Mortality associated with sleep duration and insomnia.

Mortality related to actigraphic long and short sleep.

Sleep duration and risk of all-cause mortality: A flexible, non-linear, meta-regression of 40 prospective cohort studies.
Quote:
We eventually included in our study 40 cohort studies enrolling 2,200,425 participants with 271,507 deaths. A J-shaped association between sleep duration and all-cause mortality was present: compared with 7 h of sleep (reference for 24-h sleep duration), both shortened and prolonged sleep durations were associated with increased risk of all-cause mortality

4 h: relative risk [RR] = 1.05;
5 h: RR = 1.06;
6 h: RR = 1.04;
8 h: RR = 1.03;
9 h: RR = 1.13;
10 h: RR = 1.25;
11 h: RR = 1.38;
So, if you sleep 5 hours a day your risk of dying increases by 6%. Given the design of cohort studies the difference of 6% is as good as zero.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:28 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Maybe I'll just focus on taking 30 minutes to prep for bed every night and see if that inches me towards better sleep habits - I'm around 7 hours of sleep already. Goal for the week is doing this every night.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 pm 

Quote:
Maybe I'll just focus on taking 30 minutes to prep for bed every night and see if that inches me towards better sleep habits
That's a good idea. Parents do that with their children. They have a routine that starts with PJs and ends with the kid in bed.

If you had a 4yo, the routine might be bath time, then PJs, then playtime for another 15 mins, then brush teeth, then read books, then turn on the music and leave them alone in the room, then come back once or twice when they call for you — and then blessed sleep.

A routine is a real lifesaver for a parent. Maybe it works for adults too. (I sure as shit wouldn't know, my sleep cycle is all over the place.)
So maybe something like:

• 10p — Cup of herbal tea
  • 10:15 — Brush your teeth, wash your face
  • 10:30 — Prop yourself up in bed with your copy of The Portable Curmudgeon
  • 10:45 — Turn on your music player for 45 mins worth of comfortable stuff. Vivaldi, piano trios by Beethoven or Schubert, stuff like that.
    Lights out.

Make that a regular thing, and it could settle you right down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks Jim!

So far I have failed every night to get a good nights sleep this week or follow any kind of bed routine besides brushing and flossing my teeth.

I don't know what the deal is. I think I need to associate the benefit of getting to bed early (more energy, better day the next day) over the enjoyment of staying up very late.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Maybe 40 hrs of sleep this week and zero times having a pre-bed routine of 30 minutes.

Last night was the only night I succeeded in getting 8.5 hours bed-time.

Goal for next week 55+ hours and no electronics after 930pm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:47 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Maybe 40 hrs of sleep this week and zero times having a pre-bed routine of 30 minutes.

Last night was the only night I succeeded in getting 8.5 hours bed-time.

Goal for next week 55+ hours and no electronics after 930pm.
why can't you have a pre-bed routine?

Seriously, what is getting in the way?

My pre-bed routine is getting in bed at 8, hoping to turn lights out by 9. Sometimes I read, sometimes I talk to my husband, main goal: wind down.

I think you need to figure this out.

Step 1: Get in bed.

Step 2: When you get sleepy, turn off the lights and close your eyes.

I am not fucking with you. This is why no one can sleep, they don't do either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:50 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Signaid is right, although 8:00 is way early for us, doing something routine-like is the way to go. We have never had a tv in the bedroom. We both usually go to bed at the same time...10:00-10:30ish, and read a little bit, talk, words with friends etc. and then boom, get sleeply, lights out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks for the advice compadres

The last 3 days I’ve been getting about 9 hours a day. Things that have helped: being on vacation, cool weather (in the Pacific Northwest, hot during the day, but cool at night), naps, no electronics after 10, no video games, zero news. My one vice the last few days is reading after 10, which keeps me up for another 30-60 minutes.

I’ll need some more fans when I get home, but finally seem to be making progress.