Post subject: Re: Weekly Goals Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:33 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

why can't you have a pre-bed routine?

Seriously, what is getting in the way?

I think you need to figure this out.

Step 1: Get in bed.

Step 2: When you get sleepy, turn off the lights and close your eyes.

I am not fucking with you. This is why no one can sleep, they don't do either.
I think I have about 4 things every night I would rather do than sleep (internet, video games, phone, read) trying to ban myself from doing any of them. Seems to be helping.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Finally got my goal of 55+ hours of sleep.

Cool air, and no books or screens after 10pm seemed to be the cure.

Goal for next week is wear enough sun-screen to survive this hot weather without even a light burn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Finally got my goal of 55+ hours of sleep.

Cool air, and no books or screens after 10pm seemed to be the cure.

Goal for next week is wear enough sun-screen to survive this hot weather without even a light burn.
Accomplished. Bought a bunch of sunscreen, stashed it in my backpack, my car, my bathroom and at my work. Definitely easier to apply when I have access to it. Only time I fucked up was when it was overcast and I went surfing, then the sun broke through and it got hot - later in the evening though and didn't hit me too hard.

Goal for next week: 4 hours of meditation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:43 pm 
Manpussy Apprentice

Cast is off. Going to try and return to normal walking. Swim 3/week and continue Rob Shaul's leg injury program.

No weights or running or jumping until Oct. 6 at earliest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:37 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Bram, out of interest, how do you meditate?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Cast is off. Going to try and return to normal walking. Swim 3/week and continue Rob Shaul's leg injury program.

No weights or running or jumping until Oct. 6 at earliest.
What happened to the leg?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 pm 
Manpussy Apprentice

Broke the 5th metatarsal of my right foot. Called a Jones fracture. Doc installed a deck screw to pull it together because as he put it, it will be hit or miss to heal without the screw.

8 weeks with my lower leg immobilized and non weight bearing sucked. Couldn't drive either. Now with a flat rigid velcro shoe and cane. Just beginning to put weight on it.

Best thing is being able to get a work boot on and go driving.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Oh that's right, sorry man I think we talked about that briefly. Glad it's healing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:35 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Bram, out of interest, how do you meditate?
Thanks for asking...

I generally pick one style and do it for 15-30 minutes. My two favorites are:

Noting Meditation - breathing slowly and deeply, I name every thought, internal sensation or external sensation that comes up. "Itchy foot," or "overhead fan," or "impatience."

Impermanence Meditation - breathing slowly and deeply, I repeat the word "impermanence" on every breath in, breath out or repeat it between breaths.

If I'm teaching a class, we always end with

Compassion Meditation - visualize yourself then repeat "may you be happy," "may you be healthy," "may you be safe," "may you be content". Repeat this after visualizing a good friend, then a person you feel neutral about, then a difficult person and lastly all people.

If just starting out, 2-5 minutes is what I would recommend. You can build slowly from there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Maybe managed an hour of meditation total last week...and I led three meditation classes. Gonna change the goal for this week: meditate every day, even if it's just for a minute. If I miss a day, I'll try and meditate twice the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:03 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Bram, where did you learn/read about these techniques?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:13 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I have a goal now. Not weekly or monthly, but more long term: to shed fat below 15% as per my Tanita scale. I have been on holiday in the UK, mostly Scotland, and with my love of Scotch and the abundance of distilleries and various Whisky tasting places that place has proven to be dangerous to my physical shape and health. I think even most IGx-ers will agree, a distillery tours at 10 am is not the healthiest way to start the day. And after couple of whiskys there is no holding back on food.

The plan is to continue BJJ, lift weights and run LSD. Long Slow Distance, not Lysergic Acid Diethylamide. On top of caloric deficit. My wife is also keen on losing her holiday gains, so having a company should make it a little easier.

The day I came back my weight was 72 kg and body fat of 21.5%. I am deeply ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:53 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Bram, where did you learn/read about these techniques?
Compassion Meditation or Metta is a Buddhist form of meditation. There's a gentleman named Mathieu Ricard who got the title of "happiest man on Earth" due to brain scans conducted while he was doing compassion meditation.

I first started it after reading about it in Dan Harris' book "10% Happier" - though I've seen it pop up in talks with various Buddhists and in different texts on Buddhist meditation.

The "impermanence" meditation is based on reading and experimenting with different forms of mantra meditation, coupled with reading a lot of Buddhist, Taoist and Zen literature. If someone is religious, then repeating a phrase that brings comfort from their faith would be a good place to start.

Noting meditation I believe I came across in a book called "Siddhartha's Brain" - it has been shown to regulate not the amygdala (the fight, flight or freeze response) but some mechanism that affects the amygdala. So by noting what feelings are coming up (fear, anger, impatience, envy), it makes you less reactive. I strongly support the inclusion of any or all of the three forms as effective means to get yourself kinder, more patient and to help let go of negativity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:39 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

And the posture?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:27 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
a distillery tour at 10 am
I understand, but cannot agree. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

You are a pussy! Seriously, this was the best tour ever. Early hours and only two of us. No Asians taking photos of everything and undivided attention from the guide. Two and a half hours.

And it wasn't as sinister as it sounds. The tasting included seven samples, and it's not hard to understand that after this amount of whisky - 7 x 25 ml - 185 ml of 45 - 58% alcohol - alcohol level in the blood is unlikely to stay legal. So you taste a little, then put the rest of the sample in a small bottle and take it home. In the evening though all was finished. And some more. And a little more...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:06 am 
Jesus Christ®

1. Eat food.
2. Get money.
3. Fuck bitche$.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:35 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I'm above average on flexibility, so I can sit comfortably cross-legged. 10 minutes or so of an easy general yoga practice is a great way to get your breathing in check and to make it comfortable to meditate seated.

In class, if someone wants to sit cross-legged I have them sit on enough blankets so that their knees are the same height as their hips. You can sit in a chair, lie down, sit in lotus, whatever you feel works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Shoulder blades neutral, pulled down away from the ears. Hands resting on top of knees or in lap, not draped over the knees as it tends to pull the body forwards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Head sitting on top of the torso.

Lumbar spine, thoracic spine, cervical spine -natural arch.

I'm 39, at 38 I noted I had gained .25" over any previous recorded height from meditating regularly. Re-tested it 3 times to make certain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
1. Eat food.
2. Get money.
3. Fuck bitche$.
4. Drink whisky.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks, Bram, I was just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:36 pm 
Manpussy Apprentice

Started the 10000 swing routine last week while vacationing. Will continue for the 4 weeks. Upped the bell to 24kg because with my rehab polio shoe it didn't bother the healing foot.

Goal is to get this limb to stop swelling and make my ankle function at least as well as it used too. The injury feels fine but my ankle is fucked from having it immobilized for 8 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:22 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Good luck with the foot!

Before surfing, sometimes I'll do a toe raise/calf raise for anywhere from 10-30 reps of each, alternating toes and calves. Gives me a nice awareness of the foot. If it doesn't bother you, it might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:24 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Meditated 5 times last week, noticed I was less of a "road rager," until I missed a day and laid the horn down and ran a lady out of the way after she drove through a stop sign. At least I did it smiling and waving. Goal for this week is meditating daily.