Bike Commuters and Road Warriors

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Spheroid_Physique
Private

Bike Commuters and Road Warriors

Post by Spheroid_Physique » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 am

Cyclists and other cardio expert types, I have questions.

Should I track an approximately 35 minute commute as training? I'd imagine it has to count for something, but the consensus online and in various books and articles seems to be that it's too short to be meaningful. If I do track it, what metrics should I track and what kind of trends should I look for?

Carmichael's books, and articles by him and others, suggest lengthening a short commute and adding intervals. Is such a training regimen plus heavy lifting sustainable without the test and EPO that's known to make his coaching super effective (ha)?

Do we have any other bike commuters on the 'Garm? Do you guys track anything (cadence, HR, pace, etc.)?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Bike Commuters and Road Warriors

Post by nafod » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:59 pm

I bike commute often, and just enjoy the ride. I think of it as setting the base for training. Toughening the derriere, greasing the groove, etc. But I also have a hilly route that naturally imposes intervals on the trip in and out. I don't track any metrics other than how I feel.

But by riding the same route day after day, you really get tuned in to your bike fitness and current state. I know exactly how I should feel at the false flat on the big hill, for example, and what gear I'd expect to be in (and if I am up or down from it). I allow myself to have a high gravity day too. Ebbs and flows.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm

I do it, and it's training. I find that it's easy to overdo the intensity. I use a heart rate monitor attached to my watch-- one of the reasons is to help me keep my intensity down on days when I really need the recovery benefits (recovery rides are magic manna). You can connect your rides to one of the online programs (I prefer Strava) to see your results over time.

BD's posted a lot of valuable stuff over the years on cycling. His recommendations on improving hill climbing helped me a lot, and I did most of it as a part of my commute.

Also: http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=228516
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 am

Yes. 35 minutes is a good little ride. Even if it's the only cycling you do.
I considered my short 15 minute cycle as an 'opportunity to improve'. The ride was up and over a small hill with a couple of steeper sections in it and I used them as challenges. The rest of my ride was steady commuting, but the overall time of the ride kept reducing.

Notice which gear you are pushing and use particular sections as an 'effort' challenge, no changing down to lower gear. Increase the effort for that section and over time you'll go up a gear on that particular hill.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Spheroid_Physique wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:28 am
Cyclists and other cardio expert types, I have questions.

Should I track an approximately 35 minute commute as training? I'd imagine it has to count for something, but the consensus online and in various books and articles seems to be that it's too short to be meaningful. If I do track it, what metrics should I track and what kind of trends should I look for?
Track it as you would a walk. At a certain point, that's all it is..and that's a good thing, but not a huge thing. It's just a walk.
Spheroid_Physique wrote:
Carmichael's books, and articles by him and others, suggest lengthening a short commute and adding intervals. Is such a training regimen plus heavy lifting sustainable without the test and EPO that's known to make his coaching super effective (ha)?
Carmichael is a very sound resource.

Gradually lengthening your commute or setting up rules based process....

I ride until the hill, I go balls out to the top. I ride the downhill easy.

Or....

I ride my X commute on X number of days per week.... days a week I add in a loop of around 10-30% more...do this extra bit at a slightly higher pace ..or a way higher pace. Don;t make it a pain in the ass, just play it. You can make a tremendous amount of progress by slightly nudging weekly mileage.

Spheroid_Physique wrote:
Do we have any other bike commuters on the 'Garm? Do you guys track anything (cadence, HR, pace, etc.)?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Just got a hand-me-down commuter bike myself. Will be interesting to see how it goes, surrounded by Asian drivers. :rolleyes:
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González