IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Garry Kasparov was the number 1 chess player in the World for 19 consecutive years. You can apply what it took for him to be this good to any number of things.

1. "This is the essential element that cannot be measured by any analysis or device, and I believe it’s at the heart of success in all things: the power of intuition and the ability to harness and use it like a master."

----

2. "Attackers may sometimes regret bad moves, but it is much worse to forever regret an opportunity you allowed to pass you by."

----

3. "By strictly observing Botvinnik’s rule regarding the thorough analysis of one’s own games, with the years I have come to realize that this provides the foundation for the continuous development of chess mastery."

----

4. "The best chess masters of every epoch have been closely linked with the values of the society in which they lived and worked. All the changes of a cultural, political, and psychological background are reflected in the style and ideas of their play."

----

5. "Excelling at chess has long been considered a symbol of more general intelligence. That is an incorrect assumption in my view, as pleasant as it might be."

----

6. "The ability to work hard for days on end without losing focus is a talent. The ability to keep absorbing new information after many hours of study is a talent."

----

7. "Winning is not a secret that belongs to a very few, winning is something that we can learn by studying ourselves, studying the environment and making ourselves ready for any challenge that is in front of us."

----

8. "The highest art of the chess player lies in not allowing your opponent to show you what he can do."

----

9. "The stock market and the gridiron and the battlefield aren’t as tidy as the chessboard, but in all of them, a single, simple rule holds true: make good decisions and you’ll succeed; make bad ones and you’ll fail."

----

10. "Tactics involve calculations that can tax the human brain, but when you boil them down, they are actually the simplest part of chess and are almost trivial compared to strategy."

----

11. "For me, chess is a language, and if it’s not my native tongue, it is one I learned via the immersion method at a young age."

----

12. "I’ve seen – both in myself and my competitors – how satisfaction can lead to a lack of vigilance, then to mistakes and missed opportunities."

----

13. "Nervous energy is the ammunition we take into any mental battle. If you don’t have enough of it, your concentration will fade. If you have a surplus, the results will explode."

----

14. "The biggest problem I see among people who want to excel in chess – and in business and in life in general – is not trusting their instincts enough."