IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Training for Health
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm 
Jesus Christ®

If you would, for a moment, indulge in a thought experiment with me. We all have activities we enjoy, and things that we've invested a lot of time and energy into, that probably form the bulk of our training. Whether or not that training is, in the strictest sense, healthy is another question entirely. I've invested a ton of time in martial arts, for example, but I'm no longer certain it's good for my general health.

Anyway, my question is this: if you were to set aside your longtime habits and preferred activities and train solely for good health, what would you do?

Post subject: Re: Training for Health
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I would honestly do exactly what I'm doing currently.

A lot of surfing, or another fun activity, if I lost the love for it or moved.

Plus a couple workouts a week focused on joint balance (rows and bench for example for upper body), with some extra compound and isolation work (say push-ups and arms), and stabilizers for joint health (external rotators). A bit of flexibility work. And finally a balanced, healthy, no-fad diet.

This has taken a long time to come up with, but it's keeping me pretty fucking happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Probably Yoga and walking/hiking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:58 am 
Lifetime IGer

Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan
http://www.irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... 25#p490673

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 am 

Quote:
If you would, for a moment, indulge in a thought experiment with me. We all have activities we enjoy, and things that we've invested a lot of time and energy into, that probably form the bulk of our training. Whether or not that training is, in the strictest sense, healthy is another question entirely. I've invested a ton of time in martial arts, for example, but I'm no longer certain it's good for my general health.

Anyway, my question is this: if you were to set aside your longtime habits and preferred activities and train solely for good health, what would you do?
Improving my diet and sleep would be my first priority, but regarding physical training...

I'd try to do several mini-Yoga sessions through the day, a la grease the groove: at least half a dozen sessions, no less than five minutes long, no more than fifteen minutes long.

I'd try to spend as much time outdoors as possible, emphasizing Maffetone running, hiking, riding my mountain bike, actually rowing (kayak, not machines), possibly swimming and taking an hour long walk every day after dinner.

I'd ditch barbells forever and use only bodyweight, sandbags and dumbbells/kettelbells/clubbells: more natural movement, relatively lighter loads, superior balance and propioceprion, unilateral and anti-rotation training, more focus on perfect, beautiful reps...

I'd switch disciplines and start to take more seriously my filipino martial arts training: stick and blade training is way less harder on the body and way more effective in a real situation. I'd still train striking and grappling once a week to maintain a decent level (not sucking too much at it), but trying to focus only on perfect technique and timing. Robb Wolf summed it up beautifully: "training in such a way that I could potentially get out of shape".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 am 
Sergeant Commanding

More or less what Subclaw wrote.Hiking,easy running,walking.Would do mobility every day and high repetition stuff (barbells,bw/trx kettlebells) and try to forget what I once lifted in different exercises as that sometimes can lead me into trying things that I shouldn`t now that I am approaching 50.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I am doing it. Staying active doing fun stuff that is also exercise, getting out in the woods and parks summer and winter, getting on the water, being active for an hour to hours at a go, pegging the heart rate every now and then, picking up something heavy and carrying it around, hiking with a load, keeping the connective tissue and bones sturdy enough.

I love MA, but I swear, whenever I do it I end up hurting something. I'll take full credit for my injuries, it is what it is.

Same thing for weightlifting and going heavy. An injury waiting to happen unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Good question.
We seem to all be of similar philosophies.

First priority: walking. Maybe rucking or jogging, done judiciously.

Second: mobility. I lean toward Tai Chi.

Third: Hot & Cold. Saunas, alternating with plunges.

Medium weights go somewhere in there.^

For a high degree of confidence for being injury proof, I'd drop grappling. *EDIT Below.
Instead, I competed in a sub-only meet in June, and got to roll hard with guys 30 years younger & 20 lbs heavier. It was a great experience, although I got repeatedly stomped.

In practice, I do a good bit of walking, and have now relocated next to a beautiful, inviting trail.
I do very little mobility and intermittently hit the weights. And my sauna is now in storage for a year. But I'm close to Puget Sound, so plunges might go into my plan.

Once my house is sold, I've moved all my crap into storage, and restore some order to my life, I plan 2-3 grappling sessions per week. Probably 2.

EDIT: I wouldn't drop grappling, but approach it judiciously by being selective with partners and limiting hard rolls. Gay, I know.

W.B. Yeats

Last edited by johno on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
pegging
No surprise there. \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Kidding aside, I am noticing some commonalities so far:

- Walking, hiking, or light jogging but no marathons or hard running.

- Lots of outdoors time, whether in the water, trails, or mountains. That resonates with me.

- Weights, but lighter weights and higher reps.

- Yoga or mobility training.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:08 am 
Sgt. Major

Deadlifts, farmer's walks, and rucking. I've done that for several weeks at a time when I'm focused and, as at 53, I just feel good, strong, and stay 'lean'.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:39 am 
Jesus Christ®

Good ol' lift and carry seems a popular choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Without repeating a lot of what others have said, I’d include some gardening. If I were advising somebody without regard to their interests, they’d be probably well-served by some kind of social dancing once a week that they take seriously.

Sauna, yoga, walking, water activities, weighted carries, cals, weights but go easy on the weights. Get some blue zone type community activities.

No combat sports unless you are well past the beginning levels and are not finding yourself getting torqued or hit in the head.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I got into lifting weights after repeatedly crashing my bicycle doing airs. I figured I needed something safer and moved to weight training instead. When I picked a sport back up in the form of surfing, I promised myself no airs. I was afraid that if I got hurt doing it I would no longer want to surf anymore.

I would say the primary culprit for surf injuries at the elite level is air variations. I'd much rather not be elite if it means I'm not side-lined as often.

I don't know how one could apply that to other things. But maybe in Jiu-Jitsu for example, refusing to roll with certain people or avoiding rolling where certain submissions are allowed or skipping rolling if there's way too many people in the room.

Just some food for thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Spells mentioned sauna. If we mention non-sport activities then sauna and fasting. These two things add a lot to health.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:37 am 

Quote:
Spells mentioned sauna. If we mention non-sport activities then sauna and fasting. These two things add a lot to health.
Fasting I can do no problem (even if it’s for a few days in a row), but i DO hate sauna. And swimming.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Man, it takes a while to get the taste of sauna, so to speak. And when you do you are addicted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Try buying only winning lottery tickets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:56 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Does getting heat exhaustion on a MTBike ride ride on a hot and humid day count as sauna?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 pm 
Jesus Christ®

What's the benefit of saunas? I mean, I live in the tropics and sweat every day. Is that all it's good for?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
What's the benefit of saunas? I mean, I live in the tropics and sweat every day. Is that all it's good for?
I didn’t read the very latest stuff, but in fairly recent news it was found that the elevated HR you get delivered equivalent benefits to cardio exercise elevating HR to the same level.

I personally found the feel-good effect more pronounced in the winter, have never had any interest when it’s hot out, which may explain the regions where it’s popular and not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Look up Heat Shock Proteins. Apparently that's the primary mechanism by which sauna works. Living in the tropics doesn't do the same, you need the intensity of heat. I posted couple of weeks ago that when I measured my body temperature during sauna session it went as high as 41.4 Celsius, while average has been around 40.

Splashing water onto the hot rocks apparently produces negatively charged ions that are somehow beneficial for health, but I don't know the details. And yes, elevated HR - it has to in response of metabolic rate going through the roof - does produce cardio-like effect.

Alternating hot sauna and dipping into ice cold water produces unbelieveable relaxation and calm. After sauna I sleep like a baby.

Finally, an article published in JAMA couple of years ago shows reduced cardiac morbidity proportionate to the frequency of sauna visits per week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:50 am 
Jesus Christ®

Interesting stuff about saunas, that's definitely something I never do. I get my cardio the old fashioned way fuckin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:07 am 

1) Get a sense for what the gold standard human animal needs to be healthy (near enough is good enough for starters)

2) Work out what the modern world doesn't offer enough of, or too much of. (focusing on the main culprits is good enough for starters)

3) Balance the gap between those two things in a manner that suits your personal situation and adaptive abilities.

4) Measure and monitor to get an idea of what is and isn't working.

5) Refine and re-apply.

6) Be consistent. Health is a process, not an event.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:58 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan
Quote:
Finally, an article published in JAMA couple of years ago shows reduced cardiac morbidity proportionate to the frequency of sauna visits per week.
Did it correlate primarily to sauna visits, or other factors (income, provider access, etc...)?