Training for Health

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Training for Health

Post by johno » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

One of the Finnish studies correlated sauna use with cardiac health. But there was also a big social aspect to the Finnish sauna experience as studied.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Turns out vodka and mutual birch beatings are good for you. I wonder what happened to Stig?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm

OK, for folks who have already chimed in with how you might train for peak health...my follow up question is this: what are you training for right now? If not for health, what is it that motivates you? By which I mean, what is your motive?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm
OK, for folks who have already chimed in with how you might train for peak health...my follow up question is this: what are you training for right now? If not for health, what is it that motivates you? By which I mean, what is your motive?
My motive is to keep enjoying life as long as possible. And to ensure that, I need to be the healthiest I can without killing all the fun in the process.

I’m slowly transitioning to a health-centric lifestyle: trying to sleep more, to eat more sensibly, to improve the endurance side of the training spectrum and, above all, trying to give less fucks about everything.

The only compromises I will make are work related, and even those are quite limited. I’m almost 46, I’m lucky enough to enjoy a perfect health and I intend to spend as much time as possible doing whatever the fuck I want.

That means no more commitments (familiar or otherwise) that I won’t enjoy. So fuck distant family gatherings (if I really gave a fuck about cousins I would still be in touch with them on a regular basis), fuck training like it was more than a mere hobby, fuck doing things just because you are supposed to.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm
I am training to look good, feel good and move good (specifically for surfing). So I do some bodybuilding and watch what I eat for the look part, some stretching and stabilization exercises for the feel good portion and some plyometrics and sports specific exercises for the movement part.

Surfing is incredibly fun, but I can do it better with some training. If I miss more than a week or so of training I can tell that my surfing starts to suffer and it motivates me to keep the gym up. I know that eating healthy and following a balanced program benefits me in the long run, but the day-to-day motivation is enjoying my day-to-day life.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 pm

I have an interesting observation. When I started BJJ everything started to hurt. I mean when I woke up in the morning it was an effort to turn to the other side: my neck, shoulders, back and what not, everything was sore to some degree. I lasted for about three of months, worse the day after BJJ session, then slowly fading away etc. One day I was particularly uncomfortable. There was no BJJ session on that day, so I went downstairs and pretty much forced myself to do a few lifts - KB snatches, BB squats, incline bench, pullups. 20 minutes later I felt way better.

The point. When I look at old people doing all kind of things in obvious discomfort I think their pains are in a way similar to what I experienced at the beginning of my BJJ "career". I also think there is only one cure besides pills, namely muscle activation. How many folks actually do that?

In the line of my work it is simply amazing to realize how many patients would improve with a very basic exercise system and even mildly reduced calorie intake. But for fuck's sake, nine out of ten times when I talk to an obese type 2 diabetic on five pills and insulin injections about the diet - the answer is traditional: "No, mate, my diet is good. I eat healthy"... Last week one guy beat the record of stupidity by saying "Yeah, yeah, my doctor told me about this exercise bullshit..." One of the best tests to assess patient's condition is to see how he moves from the bed onto the operating table You won't believe how many 40 year olds take full minute to slide across from one surface to another, straining, puffing and doing all kinds of uncoordinated things.

So, where was I? Yes, the point. Some form of exercise and some attention to the amount of what you eat can go a long way and prevent or at least delay age related degeneration. Many things - like Bram's surfing or BJJ, for example - also stimulate the mind. They give you back the drive to achieve something, never mind how small. A lot of ageing is degeneration of all kinds. But a lot of it is also our neglect. Use it or lose it, you can't avoid this cliche. How come, when you are 10 years old falling is something you barely notice, but at the age of 80 it kills many people? It's the combination of losing motor patterns (being able to avoid falling altogether or bracing when it happens), loss of muscle strength and excess weight. Again, exercise and some sort of diet gets you back in line.

These, in short, are my reasons. Plus some component's of the small man's syndrome that keep driving me to do things that my contemporaries cannot do.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 pm

I'll be 43 at the end of this month, and what I am finding is that I am not in shape for anything that I don't do regularly. For example, I can run, grapple, lift because I do those regularly but an hour of yoga or climbing would smoke me. Actually, who am I kidding, I couldn't climb for an hour. But you get the idea.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 pm

The only time I felt I was fit for everything was when I ran long distance (30-45 minute steady state), ran sprints and lifted. I cut running because I don't see much carryover to my sport, but the difference when I step outside my lane is noticeable.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm

Running is a funny one. I enjoy it and I do agree it has more carryover by providing a strong cardio base, but the pounding on the joints is a major detractor. I try to mitigate that by only running uphill, and then walking down.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Evened out sand, dirt or grass feels good. Concrete not so much.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 pm

True. I should try more beach running. I did a bunch when I was vacationing on Kauai in November and I loved it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 pm

If you can handle barefoot, it seemed to help my body sensitivity when I was grappling. Feet just felt more "aware." It can also give you foot issues too, those muscles are often so dormant they can get easily overworked.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am

Do more:
OA kettlebell sessions, longer than 10 mins
Grappling mobility/yoga
Grapple more selectively
Sauna and cold plunges
Walk more
Incorporate more daily ritual work into my routine.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 am

There was a video someone posted a while back of a semi-retired potter in his early 80's down in Florida who made his own goofy exercise routine in his backyard that was really interesting. Everything from cardio to hand eye coordination exercises. I can't find it though.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 am

Turdacious wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 am
There was a video someone posted a while back of a semi-retired potter in his early 80's down in Florida who made his own goofy exercise routine in his backyard that was really interesting. Everything from cardio to hand eye coordination exercises. I can't find it though.
Here you go...

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 am

Dunn wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am
OA kettlebell sessions, longer than 10 mins.
Why one-arm?

I’m guessing because it allows you to “rest” without resting, so you can go longer. Am I right?

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm
Running..pounding on the joints is a major detractor.

If your form is already smooth, disregard. But a fluid gait is an important factor for minimizing joint impact.

Focus on the horizon as you run. If it's bouncing, so are you. Smooth it out until the horizon doesn't bounce.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Interesting tips. I've been told I have a good stride, but that was years ago. I'll play with the horizon thing. One tip, which really seems to work for me, that I picked up from Born to Run, was to focus on the mid-distance (perhaps 10 yards out) rather than the far horizon, as if you were pursuing an animal. It's very interesting how suddenly the peripheral vision kicks in and you can take in everything. Colors become sharper, you maintain perfect posture, better breathing and less fatigue, etc. all with that one trick.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Interesting. I'll check it out.

W.B. Yeats

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm

The idea is that it triggers the "persistence hunter" system of the brain. YMMV but it's easy to try and actually worked for me. But it's completely different than the horizon thing you mentioned, which was to check your stride and has merit.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 am
Turdacious wrote:
Here you go...

Here we go, he is talking about preventing falls. One smart dude. The only thing I would advise him to add to his routine is some weighted lifting.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:59 pm

johno wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:26 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm
Running..pounding on the joints is a major detractor.

If your form is already smooth, disregard. But a fluid gait is an important factor for minimizing joint impact.

Focus on the horizon as you run. If it's bouncing, so are you. Smooth it out until the horizon doesn't bounce.
Another thing to check is Chi Running:

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 am
Dunn wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am
OA kettlebell sessions, longer than 10 mins.
Why one-arm?

I’m guessing because it allows you to “rest” without resting, so you can go longer. Am I right?
Less of a need for specific thoracic mobiiity adaptation and thoracic mobility, also less of a load which allows you to work longer.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 pm
SubClaw wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:14 am
Turdacious wrote:
Here you go...

Here we go, he is talking about preventing falls. One smart dude. The only thing I would advise him to add to his routine is some weighted lifting.
Thanks SubClaw! I agree about the lifting but he pretty much gets everything right— weight under control, lots of easy cardio, balance and coordination work, and gives zero fucks that others think he’s nuts.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:33 pm

HeavyHands deserves mention in this thread too.