IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Le Arte de Abz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm 
Jesus Christ®

What are your favorite ab exercises and why? I've been trying different things, trying to figure out what works for me, but I am open to ideas from y'alls.

Post subject: Re: Le Arte de Abz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 pm 

Quote:
What are your favorite ab exercises and why? I've been trying different things, trying to figure out what works for me, but I am open to ideas from y'alls.
Front squats, crawling, ring levers, snatch grip deadlifts and loaded carries.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:47 pm 
Jesus Christ®

So you prefer to do exercises that use the abdominals as a stabilizer, rather than direct work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sommer wrote that when one starts L-Sit, he will abandon other abs exersizes.
So i doing only lsits, but as part of complex moves - pullups with lsit, dips with lsit...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:29 pm 
Jesus Christ®

So what you're saying is that I should never do L-sits or I will be forever trapped in a prison of gymnastic ambivalence?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
So what you're saying is that I should never do L-sits or I will be forever trapped in a prison of gymnastic ambivalence?
L-its and V-sits are good. And i like idea that i do not train abs separately, they just training themselfs by the way.
I have also ab-wheel, but it will wait till winter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

Quote:
So you prefer to do exercises that use the abdominals as a stabilizer, rather than direct work?
Crunches and the like tend to hurt my back. And, frankly, I find them pretty useless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

Ab wheel, Hanging leg raise (and with ankle weights), Plankz, Suitcase carries all excellent. Put on an ankle weight and chamber for a sidekick a zillion times, holding that chambered position for a sec as if you're threatening someone. Maybe even hold a kettlebell in the off hand. Heavy half get-ups.

There's lots of yoga stuff that's good, but I don't know what any of it's called. I don't hate the "Full Contact Twist".

Grappling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:26 pm 

Whatever happened to Bill Fox, the original creator of the Couch Thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 pm 
Jesus Christ®

https://www.strongfirst.com/author/citizenfox/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I've had luck with running people through a rotation of:

Day 1 - Trunk Flexion - Swiss Ball Rope Crunch for example

Day 2 - Lying Hip Flexion - Leg Raises for example

Day 3 - Unsupported Hip Flexion - Hanging Knee Raises

For the past month, I've had people activate their abs (like bracing for a punch) and then draw them in prior to each rep. The moment they fail to keep the abs contracted, I can see their back arch and stomach bloat. Seen a nice improvement in core strength from following this. As an accessory I'll add lateral flexion (side bends or side planks) to the trunk flexion day, and rotation (cable twist) to the lying hip flexion day.

As maligned as trunk flexion may be, as a grappler I found it helpful for playing guard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 am 
Lifetime IGer

Medicine ball seemed to be magic manna back in the day, but requires a partner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:47 am 

Last couple weeks at the gym, I've seen a couple dudes jump up onto the pull-up bars, hang there, and do a thing where they raise their legs, and then rotate their legs in a circle in front of their body — like their legs are the second-hand of a clock. First one way, then the other. Pretty impressive to see.

Like this, but smoother & more controlled:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I think yakutian pegtop also good for abs (rotating muscles)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm 
Jesus Christ®

It always comes back to Yakutsk.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Maybe i mention this tool too often. But it so easy to make and so good to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Medicine ball seemed to be magic manna back in the day, but requires a partner
Or a wall. Slams, twists, side throws, overhead situps, are all great. Love standing core work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:24 pm 
Jesus Christ®

My poor house would not be able to withstand me throwing medicine balls around. Syaigh, I see you often just log "abs" in your workouts; what specifically do you do in terms of exercise, sets, reps?

How 'bout ab wheels? Any utility?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
My poor house would not be able to withstand me throwing medicine balls around. Syaigh, I see you often just log "abs" in your workouts; what specifically do you do in terms of exercise, sets, reps?

How 'bout ab wheels? Any utility?
Well, good question.

I have a very long torso and I had a rectus abdominus repair (I had a massive diastasis recti from three pregnancies and a pre-existing umbilical hernia) so ab wheel just doesn't feel that good to me unless I keep it under my shoulders, ie not go all the way out. I know a lot of people who like them and do them, but I think they tend to be hard on the shoulders unless you have big lats.

I used to teach a kettlebell fitness class three days a week and mostly did swings, twists, squats, lunges, TGU's and windmills, and woodchops for core. The ladies would occasionally challenge me to have them do traditional abs because they didn't think they were working core. I never did situps so I told them that if any of them could do more situps than me, then we could start including them. They never could. Now, I was also doing a lot of barbell work at the time both powerlifts and Olympic lifts so I think that added a lot of stability.

BUT, there was a time I doing some krav with a self defense instructor and found that kicks, especially knees, killed my lower abs so I felt that leg raises or hanging knee raises were definitely important.

Nowadays, I surrendered my training to a figure coach so she has me doing bicycle crunches, V-ups, med ball overhead situps, V-sit Russian twists, crunches, and lying leg raises. I'll be honest, its not been particularly difficult, but I engage my core a lot to stabilize other lifts (and riding horses) so I think my core is relatively strong.

But, my overall feelings about core work still are this:
1. Rotational work, either standing, lying, or seated is highly underrated (I love full contact twists in addition to what I listed above).
2. Leg/knee raises hit the abs in a way we just don't unless we are regularly sprinting, kicking, or jumping.
3. Ab flexion may have its place but I don't think its as valuable as the above two. Definitely worth visiting from time to time, but if the obliques and back extensors aren't strong, this can be really hard on your back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks for the detailed answer. I obviously can't try everything all at once but I'll be trying things out in phases as I go and this is all very helpful. For years I have found reasons not to train my core directly so there's a lot to learn and I don't really know what works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Also, what's the deal with the figure coach? Are you planning on competing or did you just want to try something different?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 am 
Lifetime IGer

As a data point, I paddleboard lots now, and it is purportedly a good core workout. I'd say that if you already have a solid core you won't notice it in particular, but it does work you over the range of motion. If you haven't done it much, it tires you out with the constant body tension until you learn to relax.

Standing up and getting back down on the board is a surprisingly good drill, as you need to maintain balance through the full range of the squat. Probably jumping off and then getting back on and standing up 20 times fast would be a decent set.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Also, what's the deal with the figure coach? Are you planning on competing or did you just want to try something different?
Over the past five years Ive gotten kind of chubby and given myself some pretty annoying chronic injuries, shoulder and knee in particular. I knew I needed to lose some weight and do some bodybuilding to fix my joints and regain some balance and I always do better with things I hate with a goal and a coach so yeah, might compete. We will see whats under all the flubber.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 am 
Jesus Christ®

I can certainly relate to wanting to reorient training to feel and look better, so good luck. Are you having fun with it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
As a data point, I paddleboard lots now, and it is purportedly a good core workout. I'd say that if you already have a solid core you won't notice it in particular, but it does work you over the range of motion. If you haven't done it much, it tires you out with the constant body tension until you learn to relax.

Standing up and getting back down on the board is a surprisingly good drill, as you need to maintain balance through the full range of the squat. Probably jumping off and then getting back on and standing up 20 times fast would be a decent set.
Paddleboarding looks like a ton of fun. I have no excuse for why I haven't tried it yet.