Le Arte de Abz

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Le Arte de Abz

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 am

I tried paddleboarding once in New Zealand, and it was great fun. Surprisingly harder than expected, obviously because of lack of skill.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:36 am

paddleboarding lookks similar to skateboarding, the spine is constantly skewed in one direction, isn't it harmful?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 am
I can certainly relate to wanting to reorient training to feel and look better, so good luck. Are you having fun with it?
I wouldnt call it fun as much as interesting/challenging. But the injuties are healing up and my throws have improved a lot ao theres that. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 pm
Sommer wrote that when one starts L-Sit, he will abandon other abs exersizes.
So i doing only lsits, but as part of complex moves - pullups with lsit, dips with lsit...
Alright, with the lure of doing a single exercise which addresses all my ab-gainz needs, I am trying an L-sit progression starting with hollow body holds. We gon' see.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

terra

Post by terra » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 am

"Ab-wheel"... But I don't have an Ab-wheel, so just put a pair of 5kg or 10kg plates on an Olympic bar and do roll-outs with that.
Employ a 'tucked tail' and keep the glutes/hammies firing to both protect the lumbar and also really hit the abdominal wall.

Front Squats were mentioned in an earlier post. These certainly activate the abdominal wall. especially noticed if you actively 'pull' yourself down/back with your hip flexors in the descending portion.

Also, leading with your hip when swimming has a noticeable effect on the lower obliques. Do this in a focused manner for more than a quarter mile and you'll notice it.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:36 am
paddleboarding lookks similar to skateboarding, the spine is constantly skewed in one direction, isn't it harmful?
No, you face forward and switch sides with the paddle constantly. I average 3-4 strokes a side. So you are getting equal twisting.

Don’t believe everything you think.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

terra wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 am
"Ab-wheel"... But I don't have an Ab-wheel, so just put a pair of 5kg or 10kg plates on an Olympic bar and do roll-outs with that.
I did that once or twice at the gym, when I couldn't find their ab wheel. It seemed much, much easier than the wheel. I think the lateral stabilization with the wheel is a huge factor in the exercise. Also the plates-&-bar have more friction, so they roll less easily; so it's less of a battle to keep your descent under control.

That said, there's a dude at the gym who does it that way, but with heavier plates on the bar. He says that the "crunch" part, the ascent, is tougher with more weight.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:14 am

I tend to agree with Wild Bill in regards to L-sits. You can also do leg raises in L-sit, that targets a lot of muscles, including lats. I haven't done them for quite a while though, BJJ leaves me no strength for now.

Ab wheel - I tend to do partial descent, not to horisontal. This way it doesn't ruin my back. Hanging leg raises - with legs bent to some degree, same, for the back.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:11 am

I quoted by memory. Here exact quote from "Building the gymnastic body"
How hard can it be to simply stay in one position? It must be the easiest thing in the world, right? Wrong.
Correctly done, the L-sit will make most other conventional abdominal exercise seem like child's play.
Way back when, when I was a beginning gymnast, my first coach had us do no specific abdominal exercises; only lots and lots of regular L-sits. A 60 second L was the expected standard.
One day, one of the senior gymnasts challenged me to a hanging leg lift contest on the stall bars (These bars are directly anchored to the wall and do not allow you to lean back at all or to pull down
with your lats - all pure core strength).
I cranked out ten repetitions without ever having done the exercise before.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Now i want to try 5*60sec