IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:42 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: How many reps for power?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:16 am 

I've added Power Cleans back into my lifting. (Or rather, Clean High Pulls.)
How many reps should be in my sets?

I initially was thinking of them as assistance for the Squat or Dead, so I tried loading them as an assistance exercise: like 3 sets of 10. But that seemed insane as soon as I got well into in my first set. This lift is for power, not "grinding" strength or whatever. It's not meant to be slow. So I feel like the reps beyond #5 or 6 are counterproductive.

What should it be? I'm thinking 3 to 5 is around the right number. And then if I really want volume, just add more sets after resting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

For what it's worth...

I worked out at a gym used by some guys training for the US Olympic weightlifting team, at the time I was doing sets of 8-20 on cleans and push-presses/jerks. A guy told me if he wasn't training for the Olympics he would have done what I was doing, said he got a number of injuries with pushing the resistance high on low reps.

In my limited experience (1RM clean of 205, but 15RM of 165), I never noticed a transference from heavy weight/low reps to any measure of increased athleticism, though you can see I had a very small difference between my 1RM and 15RM in terms of weight. I did find high reps carried over to things like jumping higher and feeling stronger for Jiu-Jitsu.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:33 pm 
Gunny

1 to 3 reps with a weight you can move as fast as possible gets my vote.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:38 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
1 to 3 reps with a weight you can move as fast as possible gets my vote.
Which isn’t going to be your 3RM. Probably between 5-8RM.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:10 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Classic.....oi...the fuck is this forum still up for?

Power and strength are easily the most transferable qualities in all of S and C.

The correct answer is doubles. one rep less or more won't kill you.

The simplest way to work either power (RFD) or strength is to start with an easy weight....work the weight up adding small amounts (3-5% or so) slowly over a series of sets...lets say less than 10 but more than 3. Do these for doubles...when the bar begins to slow down from what feels crisp to what feels challenging...but doable, back off slightly and do more doubles there until form degrades.

Sets of 8-whatever have a place...it's not here.