IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heart Monitors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:33 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Does anyone have any experience using these things? Over time I've become more and more interested in Maffetone shit and of course, one of the key elements is training within your maximum aerobic training heart rate (180 - Age with mods for illness and injury). You guys know all this shit.

I am interested in: have any of you used heart rate monitors for this type of training? Was it useful? What training effect did this approach give you? What device did you use? Do you have any recommendations? Criticisms?

Post subject: Re: Heart Monitors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan
I use one with my polar M400 and love it for running, I can’t do that type of training without it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm 
Gunny

I have wahoo that works with my phone app that I use to track bike mileage (map my ride). It comes with its own app, but I didn't like it much.

I don't use it every ride, but its been helpful in getting a better idea of what constitutes an easy workout.

I should probably use it in the gym when doing farmers walks/sled, but I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I use one with my polar M400 and love it for running, I can’t do that type of training without it.
That and the Garmin one of a similar caliber are ones I am looking at but I don't wannt drop $250 if it has limited value. I'm not a gadget type person, but at the same time, I sure as hell can't estimate my heart rate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:35 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I have wahoo that works with my phone app that I use to track bike mileage (map my ride). It comes with its own app, but I didn't like it much.

I don't use it every ride, but its been helpful in getting a better idea of what constitutes an easy workout.

I should probably use it in the gym when doing farmers walks/sled, but I don't.
Personally I am more interested in the wristwatch type models; I don't like to carry things as I run and I definitely don't want to take my phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:36 pm 
Gunny

I use a garmin for running. I don't really train by heart rate except on recovery and easy days for the same reason you'd use one for maffetone, to avoid going too hard. They work well. I like gadgets and statistics so I've got a forerunner 935. I'd had a 235 before that and it worked fine too (gave that to my daughter). I really like the wrist HR measurement and I've got lilly white skin so they have an easy time reading my HR. You don't need much in the way of bells and whistles just to avoid letting your heart rate get too high. You can spend much less than $250 unless you want other features.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 am 
Jesus Christ®

Kirk, if you were gonna recommend a specific one, what would it be? There's so many options it's a little overwhelming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 am 
Lifetime IGer

I’ve been looking at this as well, and was settling on a budget Polar for starters and upgrading if I took to it. The quality wrist stuff is expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 pm 
Sgt. Major

It depends on what you're looking for. You can go cheap if you're only interested in watching your heart rate. If you want GPS, calories burnt, distance ran, downloading info, etc. then go more expensive. I would get one with a chest strap because they tend to be more accurate for exercise than the wrist ones, unless someone here has experience with one that works well.

Polar and Garmin are 2 top brands.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:09 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
That and the Garmin one of a similar caliber are ones I am looking at but I don't wannt drop $250 if it has limited value. I'm not a gadget type person, but at the same time, I sure as hell can't estimate my heart rate.
All you really need are a good chest strap and a watch that makes a bit of noise when your heart rate gets too high or too low. I think the lower end polars do that too. There are free apps, like Strava, that can do the analysis for you if you want that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Another thing I like about the polars— they look decent enough that I can wear it at work or casually.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:06 pm 

Quote:
All you really need are a good chest strap and a watch that makes a bit of noise when your heart rate gets too high or too low. I think the lower end polars do that too.
Are the chest strap and the wrist part separate products? Like you buy a strap, then have to get a wrist device to pair with it?
Or do they come together?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:21 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
It depends on what you're looking for. You can go cheap if you're only interested in watching your heart rate. If you want GPS, calories burnt, distance ran, downloading info, etc. then go more expensive. I would get one with a chest strap because they tend to be more accurate for exercise than the wrist ones, unless someone here has experience with one that works well.

Polar and Garmin are 2 top brands.
The differences between the chest strap and wrist ones is not enough to make me want to put another piece of gear on. I only wear the chest strap if I want to do an anaerobic threshold test.

Check out https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ for good reviews on these sorts of things. I see reviews on cheaper garmin models like the forerunner 30, vivosport, etc as well as polar, timex, etc. He gives straight reviews, compares things like chest strap HR vs wrist HR, and on and on ad nauseum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 pm 
Jesus Christ®

God bless each and every one of you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:55 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Quote:
All you really need are a good chest strap and a watch that makes a bit of noise when your heart rate gets too high or too low. I think the lower end polars do that too.
Are the chest strap and the wrist part separate products? Like you buy a strap, then have to get a wrist device to pair with it?
Depends. They can come together or separate. Make sure you read what you're getting before you buy.

I have a Garmin Vivofit 2 that was given as a gift w/o a chest strap. I happened to have an old Forerunner that didn't work anymore, but the chest strap did and was compatible. That eventually shit the bed and I got a new chest strap (which also happens to be compatible with my Concept 2 rower monitor). If the Vivofit stops working, I'll probably go with another compatible Garmin product.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Check out https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ for good reviews on these sorts of things.
This is good for comparison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Not worth it.

I've got 25+ years on and off with an HRM. For what you're talking about, you'd be better off focusing on breath and body scanning rather than HR.

HRM's are great for highly replicatable interval work. For steady state zone 2 it's a waste of your effort. If you still want to try get a wahoo, strap that will connect to your phone. The app is solid and the otehr features are quite decent. Again...it's better to focus on the body awareness not a number that shifts around radically.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
I bought them as a package deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Not worth it.

I've got 25+ years on and off with an HRM. For what you're talking about, you'd be better off focusing on breath and body scanning rather than HR.

HRM's are great for highly replicatable interval work. For steady state zone 2 it's a waste of your effort. If you still want to try get a wahoo, strap that will connect to your phone. The app is solid and the otehr features are quite decent. Again...it's better to focus on the body awareness not a number that shifts around radically.
This is what my gut was telling me, but I don't have any experience relating body feels to specific heart rates. I think if I could borrow one for two weeks I would never use it again, but I'm not sure how else to develop a frame of reference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
Not worth it.

This is what my gut was telling me, but I don't have any experience relating body feels to specific heart rates. I think if I could borrow one for two weeks I would never use it again, but I'm not sure how else to develop a frame of reference.
That's probably about how long you'd need to borrow one. 5-8 sessions and you'd have it dialed. That said, the wahoo has some good pedometer features that can be useful if you like keeping track of such things. Connects to GPS in your phone to track elevation etc. I found these parts very interesting...maybe not useful. But that's a whole other line of discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:02 am 
Jesus Christ®

That's what I figured. I already have GPS, etc. for the work I do so it's really just to teach myself: "this is what X heart rate feels like."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I have Mio Alpha. It's strapless and when I got it I was surprised at the unexpectedly better than expected quality. Works well most of the time, but not when doing snatches with the same arm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:20 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I use a Polar H7 though they've replaced (or updated?) it with the H10. I've been through several and need to head out and pick up a new strap, which only lasts a year or so, this evening. I use it each morning for HRV and have it strapped on for 12-24 hours per week and it generally works as promised. If you are doing Maffetone kind of stuff and if he's correct about the need to keep your hr under your MAF pace, it's a useful tool, especially if you live some place that gets really warm in summer months or run in a variety of conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:35 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks. It certainly does get pretty warm in Hawaii in the summer, and I do run in all kinds of conditions from beach to alpine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:58 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I have a basic Polar HR monitor and I dislike wearing it - it's fussy beyond my patience level.

So I abandoned it and simply have followed BD's advice for locating my Maf zone: When I'm opening my mouth to exhale, I'm in the base-building zone.

W.B. Yeats