IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:37 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Heart Monitors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Johno, what does that mean when you say, "when I'm opening my mouth to exhale, I'm in the base-building zone."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Johno, what does that mean when you say, "when I'm opening my mouth to exhale, I'm in the base-building zone."
When I start to speed walk/jog at a warmup pace, my normal & natural breathing pattern is through my nose, inhale & exhale. As I exert myself, I naturally start to open my mouth for exhalation. If I accelerate my exertions, I will naturally open my mouth for both exhalation & inhalation.

As I understand it, the base-building zone corresponds to the pace/exertion where I'm inhaling through my nose, but exhaling through my mouth. If my body starts wanting to inhale through my mouth, I'm pushing the pace a bit too hard and I back off a bit.
This approach keeps me in the zone without the HR monitor distractions.

BD may wish to elaborate.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:32 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Actully that's really clear, thanks. Good explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 pm 
Lifetime IGer

That's a great description, Johno. Well done.

FWIW, this is not an exact science but as we are learning, energy systems in general are inexact as well. Hence, the advice to eschew a HR monitor in favor of using rules or an attention based practice. So much of my time with a HR monitor was spent looking at the number and comparing HR numbers to output wattage or speed and saying...do I "feel" what this says I feel....?

Little rubrics like the breathing one, focus your attention where it belongs, in the body, not on a screen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Okay, you guys have convinced me to not rush out and get a heart monitor just yet. I'm plugging my way through Maf's "big book" and will try to work with the ideas you guys have shared. Supposed to do 3 to 4 miles tonight and will play with johno's technique.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience using these things? Over time I've become more and more interested in Maffetone shit and of course, one of the key elements is training within your maximum aerobic training heart rate (180 - Age with mods for illness and injury). You guys know all this shit.

I am interested in: have any of you used heart rate monitors for this type of training? Was it useful? What training effect did this approach give you? What device did you use? Do you have any recommendations? Criticisms?
I have a wrist monitor with a chest strap, real simple model, will dig it out and find model no. Only bought it 'cos shop was closing and it was stupidly cheap - it can be set to go 'bing' at a certain heart rates.

I'm not a gadget guy (my cycle 'computer' was a gift, and is only used to look at my current speed, nothing else).

Regarding Maffetone...
My missus, who races triathlon, did a LOT of the maffetone stuff. To rebuild aerobic base etc.
It worked really well for that base... On flat (triathlon-esqe) terrain she can hold a good pace all day.

However, it cost her a lot of hill climbing strength. On any climb or terrain requiring uncomfortable effort, she actually became really slow, surprisingly slow, stupidly slow, like night and day. My take is that she possibly did TOO much Maffetone stuff for too long. Almost like it created a habit of avoiding climbing pain.

Maffetone peeps seem to preach not mixing the Maff cycle with other training intensities. That makes sense, in the early stages, but I would probably bring in some higher intensity stuff asap.
Sure, cycle Maffetone for a while, get a bit of a base. But have a sunset clause, then go and get strong.

To be honest I'm biased as my experience with Maffetone was basically, it's boring. Plus the question over the missus seeming to get weak from it made me think 'fuck this'. It's easier to just pick someone slower and go with them for a 'recovery ride'.

(For Sale: Heart rate watch and chest strap. Used less than half a dozen times. Goes bing at set heartrate. Perfect for Maffetone).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:07 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
However, it cost her a lot of hill climbing strength. On any climb or terrain requiring uncomfortable effort, she actually became really slow, surprisingly slow, stupidly slow, like night and day. My take is that she possibly did TOO much Maffetone stuff for too long. Almost like it created a habit of avoiding climbing pain.

Maffetone peeps seem to preach not mixing the Maff cycle with other training intensities.
Maffetone worshipers don't but the man himself says you need to. He's openly said you don't do MAF training forever and generally when you see your gains taper off (i.e. no improvement from MAF test from month to month) or nearer to a competition, you need to mix in some quality stuff. This should be obvious if a person can think through what they're doing though the caveat is that MAF can be influenced by a lot of factors (i.e. weather, diet, stress) and people are probably able to improve far longer than they believe. If you do a traditional 80/20 program and use MAF for 80 and pay attention to your recovery, you're probably fine.