IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Leangains book
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:15 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Finally it's out. In a few years we can expect Shaf's.

Post subject: Re: Leangains book
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Finally it's out. In a few years we can expect Shaf's.
Jesus coming soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Ok, finished it. Mixed impression. Long introduction telling about his "journey". It includes a lot of bitching about others plagiarizing his stuff on intermittent fasting. Which is surprising, because the core of Leangains method is not IF at all. He himself says that IF is not a magic bullet. He also mentions that he "broke the idea of IF to the world", which is also not true: the first IF diet I have seen was 5-10 (or some other abbreviation, 5ten or five10) which is eating from five to ten in the evening. I was really put off by his other rants in the introduction which, incidentally, is close to 20% of the whole book. Though I must say, he is honest about his breakdown and his ego getting in the way of being productive.

Anyway, the rest is ok. Determine your caloric requirements by the formula he provides then create deficit. Eat high protein. There are couple of interesting things, such as thermic effects of food which can be significant in some situations, but not practical to try to estimate or track. Still, the knowledge may help reducing the hunger of dieting. For example, protein is usually 4 calories per gram; however, when consumed after workout it's closer to 3 calories per gram. There are seven things you can do that together will result in thermogenesis sufficient to make a difference, so that you can eat more than MyFitnessPal tells you to. That's probably the only unique part of this book. How much difference does it make in practical terms? Berkhan says enough to improve adherence to the method, and as he apparently coached lots of clients I guess I believe him.

To be frank, there are books on losing fat that I personally liked more: Anthony Colpo, Mike Matthews, maybe Jacob Lyons to name a few. There is more substance in their books. Matthews has another book where he talks about dietary variations, such as carb cycling and intermittent fasting, discussing pros and cons. To be frank, I didn't expect much from Leangains book, but I don't regret the time spent reading it. I guess you guys can make up your own mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:36 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
To be frank, there are books on losing fat that I personally liked more
You have not enough fat to read such books.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:18 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I just came back from holiday Scotland. Trust me, after that amount of beer and whisky I have enough fat to lose. In any case, this stuff - diets and shit - is my hobby.

Coming back to the actual book... it's not good at all. If you throw out the introduction, bitching about others plagiarizing his stuff and self-praise it could all fit in a little 10 page booklet. There is a little bit of stuff that is kind of new and maybe kinda practically relevant. Kinda maybe that is. Or maybe not. The rest has been known for a long time. As Old Solly would say, ein hadash al ha shemesh. Even then, there are writers that recycle old stuff in an interesting and concise manner. You know how some weight lifting books are fascinating read and some are meh. Well, this one is meh, and irritating for quasi science bit and endless ramblings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
it's not good at all.
Seems a little harsh to me. It's not a Pulitzer-winner, that's for sure, but I thought it had the following good things going for it:

-He pays a lot of attention to properly calculating intake. As he points out, if you get this wrong a few hundred calories one way or the other that will certainly have an effect on at least the start of your program,
-He advocates thinking long-term and understanding how long the road will be and what it will actually take to get lean. I prefer this to ebooks with a picture of 'fat guy' and a picture of 'ripped guy,' with a 6 week diet laid out, implying that somehow 6 weeks gets you there, and
-His training focus is working hard and making progress on deadlifts, squats, bench, overhead press, chins, and rows.

Anyway, I agree with you that the introduction and overall presentation are kind of lacking (I, too, am unmoved by the recounting of social media feuds), but I am a big fan of a book that says cut your calories a few hundred a day, eat mostly protein, in the second half of the daytime hours, and focus on progressing on compound lifts.

I still like "Natural Hormonal Enhancement" and a couple of Shelby Starnes' ebooks better, but I would put this book right up there as a smart way to go about a medium- to long-term fat loss strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:09 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I may be wrong, but pretty much every bodybuilding coach worth listening to will tell you to focus on high protein, long term view, creating negative calorie balance and being meticulous with calories, so what's new in this book? Nevertheless he allows himself the tone of "every one in the fitness industry is an idiot, I am the only one to shine the light" and "how lucky you are I eventually wrote this book" and other pearls of the kind. Moreover, the book has the pretence of being scientific, but in this respect it lacks the depth of research - a few cherry picked references now and then. I would expect more from someone who claims to revolutionize fitness.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 am 
Staff Sergeant

I don't disagree that every bodybuilding coach worth listening to is going to focus on those same principles, but in my own life experience's Venn diagram, the two circles "people giving 'professional' diet advice" and "bodybuilding coaches worth listening to" are orders of magnitude different in size, and there's also not much overlap.

So, I guess if what he's saying is what you've been hearing all along, great. His message seems to be a needle in a haystack amongst US diet industry products, however.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Come on, McGirt, I don't think we should benchmark books by articles in Men's Health or personal coaches certified over one weekend. Anybody reading T-Nation or checking out bodybuilding forums has reasonable idea of the basics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:48 pm 
Lifetime IGer

It's slow going for me. I was there on Lyle's forum when he formulated it, and there is a lot of adjustments he's making to the history of his particular version of the intermittant fast.

The biography was painful, just like all fitness book autobiographies. I don't know why people think a whole lot of meaningless background stuff is necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:00 am 

Quote:
It's slow going for me. I was there on Lyle's forum when he formulated it, and there is a lot of adjustments he's making to the history of his particular version of the intermittant fast.

The biography was painful, just like all fitness book autobiographies. I don't know why people think a whole lot of meaningless background stuff is necessary.
I guess trimming stuff out is a lengthy process. That must be why the ladders book is taking so long to get finished, right?