All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:44 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Let's gay this thread up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:39 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Let's gay this thread up.

Amazing what the Iron Game can do for a man's physique.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
The most productive resistance training I’ve ever done with regards to my performance on the mat is a slightly modified version of the Dan Martin’s Program Minimum. Not only it didn’t substract anything, but it had a noticeable recovery benefit.

Mind you, I lost a great deal of strength, but my BJJ sort of skyrocketed and my joints have never felt better. In a way, the DMPM is like taking long walks or doing mild Yoga.

This is what I was doing back then: Monday to Friday.

- Goblet squats: 1/2/3/4/5

- TRX rows: 1/2/3/4/5

- Push ups: 1/2/3/4/5

- One KB, two hands, clean (a swing that ends up in a goblet position): 1/2/3/4/5

- Sixty minutes walking in the evening.
Could you elaborate? Are these reps, ladder style? Same weight for all?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:40 am 

Quote:
Could you elaborate? Are these reps, ladder style? Same weight for all?
I went by feel completely. Sets, reps and load didn’t really matter, as long as I did something (anything) every day.

I was literally trying to lift like a somewhat active retired senior, so I could completely focus on my BJJ. And it worked.

Disclaimer: unless you are racing against the clock, preparing for a competition, this kind of (way too much) mild training gets boring rather soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Competition? Me?! Are you kidding?

Thanks for the reply. This is my plan anyway, just to lift as often as I can. Every day is not practical for me, so it will be something like Pavel's/Dan John's 40 day program, but dragged out. On non-BJJ days. I really got bitten by the bug and want to get better at BJJ.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:23 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

My experience is with PTP was it was not enough volume for upper body and 5s were too much in the deadlift. Also every day workouts, for me being an explosive lifter and with a lot of muscle, were too much. So I changed 5x2 to 3X3 in the deadlift. And progressed the first set linearly but the next two were by feel. In the BP I agree with BD and DJ on 10 being a great guideline daily but for me 3-4x a week 15 was about right in the upper body stuff, 25 way too high. 25 is great at about 2x a week. But I wasn’t pajama wrasslin either.

If you want too look good pull-up, chins, weighted dips. Stop eating so much.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Jack, what do you think of Steve Justa deadlift singles routine? Too much volume?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Jack, what do you think of Steve Justa deadlift singles routine? Too much volume?
I love singles in the deadlift. dLing every day, with a real job and BJJ mixed in, except for a fortunate few, is too much. I like 5-7 singles in a DL workout. Sometimes at 70% speed style, not jerking it off the floor but breaking it off then accelerating it, with a fixed weight, is great. I also love fun with quarters and do it starting at about 70%. I have gone as high as about 90%. So when I was pulling in the low 600s I would do post heavy squatting 405-425x1x5-8 singles about on the minute. Key point is 405-425 was easily loadable and I just checked the percentage in my head. Or 425-475-525-425-475-525-565 on a heavier day. Goal was still to keep rep under a second. Fun with quarters was a little longer rest breaks but not much.

I found DLing 2-3x a week worked fine. If I was doing BJJ I would DL 2-3x a week, and do pull-ups and KB double clean and press 2-3x a week. 5-10 reps a Workout in DL, 15-25 in the pull-ups and C+P. Easy strength here. You are training to be good at BJJ. Don’t be afraid to push the weight on a great day but don’t go crazy. Same with back down if you are beat up.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks, Jack, very helpful. Couple of my friends' kids are doing rugby, and I shake my head when they tell me about their crazy S&C sessions. Even some BJJ guys don't get it, that additional strength sessions should not try break you. Anyway, thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:24 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
If I was doing BJJ I would DL 2-3x a week, and do pull-ups and KB double clean and press 2-3x a week. 5-10 reps a Workout in DL, 15-25 in the pull-ups and C+P. Easy strength here. You are training to be good at BJJ. Don’t be afraid to push the weight on a great day but don’t go crazy. Same with back down if you are beat up.
Thanks.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

...I just would like to lower my body fat somewhat.

If I wanted to lean out, I'd hit the mats more often. (I can't think of anyone in my gym that this doesn't work for, except maybe one of our heavyweights.)

3X per week would probably do that for me.

IMO, the weights are to help maintain muscle mass.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:03 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Somebody Ping Jack to unfurl his Box Periodization model....It's an elegant way to describe holistically something we have been intuitively doing for years.

If you cannot win by one means, win by another- DVS*

(*probably stolen but cannot for the life of me find the place to attribute it.)