IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:12 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Is there a single "big name" out there that hasn't gone the self help route or had a breakdown by 40-45 other than Maxwell?

Maybe it's just recency bias.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Also, lol at me just remembering ~6 or 7 years ago Lyle saying this same thing about Chek and Poliquin while saying he must only have a few good years left.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:57 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Is there a single "big name" out there that hasn't gone the self help route or had a breakdown by 40-45 other than Maxwell?

Pavel. Also, Maxwell did go the breakdown route, remember? Stopped doing BJJ, divorced his wife, sold his business, and lived in a van for several years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:55 am 

Quote:

Ross Enamait and, possibly, Ido Portal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Ross Enamait is a beast!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 am 
Lifetime IGer

Alex Viada is in that range.

In general "big names" in the vanity business all seem to go that route regardless of venue. Yet there are hundreds and hundreds of people working the same ground off of the Social Media path off of IG. These folks do their work in person, in basements, at the track, in the mountains and on the mats teaching and helping people achieve meaningful goals.

People who rely on the sewer to distribute their work product and grow their business tend to reliably smell like shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:50 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Good point. The people attracted to the social media cesspool will almost inevitably end up being influenced by it.

I'll add a name: Mark Bell. He's not nuts, from what I can tell, but fuck if he's not annoying as fuck now. I made it through about 3 minutes of the sermon he did on his podcast after he did that bodybuilding show last month.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:00 pm 
Lifetime IGer

So Alex Viada and Mark Bell are not nuts....

Having met both and worked with one, I'll vouch for that list. Really can't speak to any other names out there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Was Bell this annoying and pretentious when you met him?

I used to think his podcast was pretty good and usually fun, but the last few months he's been insufferable with few exceptions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:

I used to think his podcast was pretty good and usually fun, but the last few months he's been insufferable with few exceptions.

In person he's a solid humble guy. I think the BB thing might be challenging his humility reflexes....I can sort of understand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Feeding the marketing beast is a deal with the Devil. No offense DVS...

When you think your online presence, or even your electronic marketing, drives your product, where do you think you would wisely put your efforts?

When you deliver real results, the word will get around at Starbucks with the Soccer moms, or at competitions where your clients results speak volumes, or where others sing your praises on via the dreaded interwebz.

Programming is an endlessly complicated pursuit. You can easily and often wisely overthink it. My programming is as good as anybody’s for PL. When I have dabbled in LGN or real sports the results have been just as good. But programming is not going to pay the bills. What does is the real life brick And mortar day after day hands on in person real thing. I dig doing it. A lot. And if I could have made a good living training PLers and real sport athletes I would have when I retired. But I would have had to do a lot more LGN and high maintenance/high paying folks to make it viable.

So nope for me.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Feeding the marketing beast is a deal with the Devil. No offense DVS...
None taken. I think in the4 overall you're right. The slingshot and the BFS fame got under his skin a little, his latest campaign made him a little more prickly than not. I'd only interject that when he was nobody, it felt as though he was approachable becuase he was...nobody but a couple thousand meatheads gave a shit. Now that he's got a following, I think that front he puts up to to separate folks out...at least I believe this to be the intention..tho it does turn off those of us who remember what he was about 8 years ago.

But how many times have we seen this? Lie down with Dogs, you wake up with your picture on the KCBB Instagram account.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:02 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:

In person he's a solid humble guy. I think the BB thing might be challenging his humility reflexes....I can sort of understand.
Makes sense. He's also had a ton of people blow smoke up his ass the last year or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:21 am 
Sarge

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense. He's also had a ton of people blow smoke up his ass the last year or so.
The trajectory of Bell’s path was altered significantly after his meeting with Gary V (🙄). It’s been downhill since. Another fascinating case is Brandon Lilly. I can’t tell what the fuck he does now besides parade around like a hillbilly mountain hipster (while pushing hashtags #workdonewhine! #belegendary!) social media is so odd.