IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

A buddy and I went in together on this:

https://www.torquefitness.com/tank-all- ... gICy_D_BwE

It's a wheeled push/pull device that uses a magnetic reduction system to provide drag. So if any of you have gotten into sled pulling and dragging with a typical sled you know what you're dealing with e.g. noise, wear, lugging weights around etc. This device makes it simpler but it is expensive.

I just thought I'd share a brief wth effect with this thing. I've done about a half dozen workouts with it ranging from 45 minutes to finisher type stuff after a weight workout of around 20 minutes. Multiple reps of pushes and pulls of about 60 yards round trip. Besides a neutral setting, the device has 3 resistance modes, 1-2-3 and the faster you push it the harder the resistance. Weight can be added to it but it's only for stability i.e. if you're a tall guy pushing high on the bars you can lift the back end up if you're pushing it hard and conversely you can lift it up if you're pulling backwards.

My personal experience with this thing is it's just simply brutal but recovery is fast. I have pushed it fast on the lower resistance and I've grinded it out on the higher resistance levels and everything in between. I don't know if I've felt the level of full body fatigue as quickly doing anything else but as I previously said, the recovery is relatively rapid so around two minutes after a trip I could do it again. On the longer sessions I would just keep doing it and mixing up the speed/resistance until I felt a noticeable drop off in strength/speed then I'd stop.

So to get to the point, I went for a bike ride one day last week on a single speed bike I have. I rode for about an hour and I covered every hilly portion that is in my immediate area. What I noticed was a sense of increased leg power and turnover on the hill portions. There were several portions I climbed with no noticeable increase in heart rate. The only thing that's been added to the mix is pushing/pulling this device. I'm going to try this weekend to do a longer ride on a geared bike with all the shit I've accumulated e.g. power meter, gps, hr monitor and compare it to a previous ride around 30 miles, and see what's up. I may be captain obvious but thoughtful and consistent pushing and pulling could add some clear positives to leg strength and strength endurance with limited risk and little disruption to whatever routine you may be following. I'm just sharing you dirty bastages!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Only $1,350? Shiiiiiit. It looks pretty cool, I've always wanted to try a prowler but I live on a mountainside and there's just no place to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mak, yes it was an excessive purchase. We thought another guy would go in on it with us but he pussied out and by then I was just jazzed up to use it so me and the other guy went ahead and got it. We keep it at my place because he also lives in a hilly area and my street has no traffic on it. I have had three different people in cars stop and ask what I'm doing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:20 pm 
Jesus Christ®

I'm sure it's a great tool, I've never heard anyone who had used a prowler or Westside-style wheelbarrow that didn't rave about. And honestly, if it's well made $1,350 isn't all that much for a lifetime of training. Where I live is so steep that any kind of pushing or farmer's walks are out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks for the report, Shape. When I get my new house built and I get moved in, I'll be looking into some kind of push/pull device.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

I remember when Matt Brown started doing a lot of heavy pushing at Westside with Louie Simmons, man he started breaking bones with his punches. He knocked out like 7 guys in a row; not bad for a basic white dude. That got my attention because before that I thought it was just a gimmick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:18 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wish my gym had the space for that, maybe in one of the big ass aerobic rooms. I'm gonna see if the owners will throw down on it. Stuck doing bootleg versions as of now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:43 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Or... You can push/pull a car.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

HEY EVERYBODY, SANGRIA JUST DROPPED THE MIC ON ME!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
Sgt. Major

Here's a cheaper alternative for pulling, especially if you don't have room for a sled/prowler. You might be able to rig something up for pushing. For some reason, I can't get the youtube video to post.

ExerGenie

[youtube]http://youtu.be/sPNmfhB-nio[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 pm 

ExerGenie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

You no ass wiping pre-op trannies (<--- x'2 for Sangria)...this thread is about spending beaucoup monies on a first world non-necessity!! Don't make me tell you where you can put your Exer-Wienee.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:00 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Here's a cheaper alternative for pulling, especially if you don't have room for a sled/prowler. You might be able to rig something up for pushing. For some reason, I can't get the youtube video to post.

ExerGenie

[youtube] http://youtu.be/sPNmfhB-nio [/youtube]

For Ry-Ry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Shape, have you reached your genetic potential with your old favourite?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:06 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Oh holy shit! I fuckin' forgot about the Shake Weight. Can you imagine the synergy of greatness that could be achieved by combining the esoteric beauty of the Shake Weight with the brutal realism of the Tank? WADA would probably have to ban combining the two methodologies because all records of physical achievement would be broken!! Watch me a the next Olympic Games!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:17 pm 
Lifetime IGer

South Park's Shake Weight episode was the best thing about the Shake Weight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Shape is saying "hahahaha, you assholes, I'm loaded"