IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:45 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gym hacks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 am 

Like Lifehacker but, you know, for training.

Post subject: Re: Gym hacks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 am 

Gym hack: Google Keep
If you're on your computer during the day, open Google Keep and make a memo called "Gym", and put today's (or tomorrow's) lifts in it. What exercises, what weights, what sets. Then forget about it. When you get to the gym, pull out your phone and open up Google Keep to see your plan. Do as RX'd. Or don't: if you make a change, update the memo in Google Keep. Then forget about it. When you get home, if you have a training journal online or on your computer, open up Google Keep and copy/paste your workout from there into the journal. Then blow it away put your next workout into the memo. Then forget about it.

What makes this cool is the ease of transfer from your planning to something that you have with you at the gym, and then again the transfer from your workout results to your training log. For me this replaces the use of index cards, which seemed like a good idea but had some drawbacks. I spose any memo tool on your phone would work fine. Keep is nice because of how it persists across devices, so you can update it from one device and have the info on another.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:45 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Don't sweat it.

I don't write anything down, because I'm doing simple periodization and I don't need something to think about. When I hit 5x10 with good form upper body stuff, I go heavier. 5x10 is memorable, so I come in the next lift and get a heavier thing to do. Same for deads, just with a different rep scheme. No need to think about it. I've got a toddler, another on the way, and a full plate and I've never sat back and gone through all my old logs to review them, so I'm just going to try and get stronger with as little thought as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:41 am 

Quote:
Don't sweat it.

I don't write anything down, because I'm doing simple periodization and I don't need something to think about.
Yeah.

I'm doing this complicated (for me) program, where I start with sets of one "primary" lift, heavy for low reps; then sets of a couple "secondary" lifts, medium with medium reps; then a couple of single-joint assistance exercises, light for high reps. Then some shoulder rehab exercises. The primary-secondary-assistance lifts rotate every workout (though the shoulder stuff stays the same). It's fun and I'm making progress, but there's a fair amount of details. Having it all written down helps.

Thinking & remembering become tough for me when the sets become challenging. There's a lot of "Now where was I?" or "What was I supposed to do next, again?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 am 

Here are a few off the top of my head:
*Use a slow cooker to prepare meals
*Front load your training week
*Train more often than not
*Choose exercises and modalities that you don't hate
*Have a "workout you do when you don't want to work out workout" http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2018/06/the ... nt-to.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:39 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Test

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:57 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Don't sweat it.

I don't write anything down, because I'm doing simple periodization and I don't need something to think about.
Yeah.

I'm doing this complicated (for me) program, where I start with sets of one "primary" lift, heavy for low reps; then sets of a couple "secondary" lifts, medium with medium reps; then a couple of single-joint assistance exercises, light for high reps. Then some shoulder rehab exercises. The primary-secondary-assistance lifts rotate every workout (though the shoulder stuff stays the same). It's fun and I'm making progress, but there's a fair amount of details. Having it all written down helps.

Thinking & remembering become tough for me when the sets become challenging. There's a lot of "Now where was I?" or "What was I supposed to do next, again?"
That’s why I like simple programs: load the bar with a weight you positively know you couldn’t do five reps with and do a bunch of singles and doubles with a fair amount of rest between sets. That’s it.

The next few sessions you won’t have to worry about any details at all. You just repeat the same workout until, say, ten sets of doubles becomes way too easy. And you don’t even try to beat your previous records; just let progress ebb and flow and it will happen naturally, eventually.

Then you start the process all over again, this time doing triples and sets of four with the same load you used with singles and doubles. And you keep doing it until, say, six sets of four becomes too easy.

And you keep working with that same load until you can do with relatively ease four sets of eight reps with a weight you barely could do a double when you started. Thing is, it’s been months since you last had to think about weights, sets and reps, you didn’t need to wonder what’s next or check your previous session’s numbers.

Then, you pat yourself on the back, bump the load substantially, and start all over again. Mindless lifting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 pm 

Quote:
Mindless lifting.
Lazy strength! Coming to an ebookstore near you in 2076.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 pm 

Judo hack: Caffeine
Drink a ton of iced tea / lemonade before class. One Saturday last yr I took my stepdaughter & her friend to lunch before Judo, sandwich place, and had like 3 iced tea / lemonades before class. I was positively peppy and bouncing when class started. Had good energy all the way thru.

I normally avoid caffeine: don't drink coffee or tea or iced tea, or even Coca Cola and similar. So a little bit goes a long way with me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:33 pm 

Gym hack: Pennies.

Sometimes I have trouble remembering where I am if I'm doing a "high" number of sets of one exercise, like seven. "Wait, is this set 3 or 4?" One easy thing that helps: Stash a few pennies in your pocket. Finish a set, fish out a penny and toss it on the floor next to your stuff. Then forget about it. When you go for your next set, you can see at a glance exactly how many you've already done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:18 pm 

Quote:
Drink a ton of iced tea / lemonade before class. One Saturday last yr I took my stepdaughter & her friend to lunch before Judo, sandwich place, and had like 3 iced tea / lemonades before class. I was positively peppy and bouncing when class started. Had good energy all the way thru.

I normally avoid caffeine: don't drink coffee or tea or iced tea, or even Coca Cola and similar. So a little bit goes a long way with me.
One caveat, though: last time I drank a copious amount of iced tea before training, I had to run for my life for the bathroom during a hard ‘randori’ session. Then I spent the next twenty minutes shitting like there was no tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:31 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Mindless lifting.
Lazy strength! Coming to an ebookstore near you in 2076.
I thought I coined that phrase a while back: http://worldsstrongestlibrarian.com/492 ... -and-life/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:03 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:

I want to offer a cautionary caveat; back in my 20's when I was doing submission wrestling I drank 3 cans of red bull to try and compensate for my sluggish energy levels. I felt like I was on phet. I was shaking so fucking much I inadvertantly eye gouged 3 of my training partners just trying to get some neck control. I was just acting like a total spaz and had to sit out in the end for the good of everyone. Maybe I needed a little chaser to bring me down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:18 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Gym hack: Pennies.

Sometimes I have trouble remembering where I am if I'm doing a "high" number of sets of one exercise, like seven. "Wait, is this set 3 or 4?" One easy thing that helps: Stash a few pennies in your pocket. Finish a set, fish out a penny and toss it on the floor next to your stuff. Then forget about it. When you go for your next set, you can see at a glance exactly how many you've already done.
Good stuff. I have some wood blocks in my garage gym I do this with. I also used to make a chalk mark on the gym floor. Pennies are a great idea.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex