IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:53 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

You gotta wonder how Conor recovers from being man-handled in that fight. He had no answer for Khabib's takedowns or ground control AND got caught on the feet.

Caught a pretty good shot to the face after the fight too.

Very satisfying. Pettis vs Ferguson was nuts too, a bloody war.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:27 am 
Lifetime IGer

Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan
Quote:
UFC seems pretty meh now besides the Connor spectacle.

The current champs seem inferior to the champs and top contenders a few years ago.
Take Khabib. A stud for sure but I couldn't see him beating a prime BJ Penn or other former champs. His grappling looks great, but he's been having to take down a bunch of BJJ guys and kickboxers. The division has been devoid of elite American wrestlers so long he hasn't had to face any. I couldn't see him scoring a takedown on Sean Sherk or even Frankie Edgar. Against Sherk he would be fighting off his back the whole fight. Against a young Edgar he'd be getting peppered on the feet, taken down, let up, repeat for 5 rounds.

Woodley? GSP would jab him until his left eye fell out.
185? Prime Anderson and Prime Weidman would pee on everyone now
205? That division peaked 10 years ago, then came Jon Jones who was arguably better than all those killers, and he's already old news.
HW? The current champ is a small old dude(who's also the 205 champ lol)
Of coarse, USADA wasn't in the game then. Apples to oranges maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 am 
Jesus Christ®

In 9 months Conor gonna have a baby.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:37 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mak, settle this...what was that that KBoi put on Conner...part cross face/neck crank? Is it pain or is his jaw going to be broken and a vertebrae sheered off if he doesn't tap?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Choke:

Crank:

Although we'd have to ask Conor to be sure. Sometimes cranks are chokey and chokes are cranky.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I made the mistake of not tapping to a rear naked choke across the face once. Lost a chunk of tooth for my naivety.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

From that angle, looks like a jaw lock/face crank, but with enough pressure and twisting there is also trauma being inflicted to the neck.

Nasty.

Combat Sambo, for the win.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:47 pm 
Jesus Christ®

^^^What they said. Tucking your chin is not a defense, you can just get your jaw broken and choked for good measure.

But Conor is a little bitch. Talk shit get hit. Learn that for some people not everything is a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Couple of thoughts on this fight...

The truest adage in the fight game is "styles make fights". Chad Mendes made Conor look bad in their fight until he ran out of gas. Chad took the fight on short notice, and probably just wasn't the caliber of a guy to beat Conor. However, he showed that a brawling, wrestling based style was exactly what Conor was not equipped to deal with. Conor will smoke most in a paced, technical affair (think Holloway, Alvarez and Siver). He is weak on the ground and doesn't have the fortitude to deal with a sustained pier 6 brawl (also, think of the Diaz fights). Khabib is almost the perfect answer to Conor...like Chad Mendes dialed up to 11...fearless hands of stone and maybe the best grappler the game has ever seen.

Also, there is a very short shelf life in high level MMA. This fight might have exposed the fact that Conor's is almost up, or around the corner. By all accounts, he is a jet setter and this has to be exhausting on top of the demands of the fight game itself as well as the pressure of the spotlight. I expected this fight to be way more competitive. Khabib is an all time great, but Conor may also be fading.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Tucking your chin is not a defense, you can just get your jaw broken and choked for good measure.
Truth.
The most brutal RNC I ever experienced was chin-in. The dude depressed my chin to where it was an air choke AND I thought my jaw would dislocate.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Dana White: Khabib ‘probably getting stripped’ if NSAC hands down long suspension for UFC 229 blowup
Quote:
Then Khabib Nurmagomedov, who claimed the crown with his real estate closing last April, executed a bullfrog leap off the Octagon in the wake of UFC 229, which may draw a lengthy suspension from Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).

That’s according to UFC President Dana White, who was “disgusted” by the “The Eagle” and his goon squad for their post-fight attack, taking place in the wake of last Saturday night’s (Oct. 6, 2018) headliner in Las Vegas.
Talk about the hypocrisy.

Sharing a drink with McGregor while he insults Khabib on every level in worst possible manner. That looks like Dana White supports sportsmanlike behaviour of his fighters, doesn't it? The fact that McGregor doesn't want to press charges for being punched actually gives him a little bit of credit. Khabib should tell UFC go fuck themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm 
Jesus Christ®

There's no question that it's hypocritical, problem is Nurmagomedov made it easy for them. They have always excused Conor's antics because they consider him to be highly marketable, Khabib not so much. That and Conor's whiskey brand invested heavily in UFC sponsorship.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Khabib represents Russia and he is a Muslim, both of which are not in favour right now. In any case, the whole affair has been biased towards McGregor. Not only he was allowed to run his mouth before the fight, but Dean Herb also ignored several illegal moves during the fight: a knee to Khabib's head on the ground and hooking the gloves by MG - not even a warning. Should anybody be surprised why Khabib completely lost it after the fight?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

https://sports.vice.com/amp/en_us/artic ... reddit.com

Good write-up of the main event, lots of video of Conor cheating like crazy to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Khabib represents Russia and he is a Muslim, both of which are not in favour right now. In any case, the whole affair has been biased towards McGregor. Not only he was allowed to run his mouth before the fight, but Dean Herb also ignored several illegal moves during the fight: a knee to Khabib's head on the ground and hooking the gloves by MG - not even a warning. Should anybody be surprised why Khabib completely lost it after the fight?
Take a deep breath, Ivan. In this country, everyone is allowed run their mouth, and Khabib is crazy if he thinks that's ever gonna change. Shiiiit. Conor is already selling the rematch and the rubles will flow. What makes it all okay is that Khabib got 18 minutes to show the world exactly who runs shit and he did so in a very memorable, one-sided beatdown on the feet and on the mat. As for the cheating, we all saw it, but in pro sports if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:30 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I am not Ivan by a long shot, and Russia is not my Motherland. I am of a cosmopolitan kind, Russian speaking born in Latvia. Probably that's why I don't have one xenophobic/racist/supremacist bone in me. I am just stating the facts. Running the mouth is fine (to a point), the President of UFC siding with that mouth is not fine. As for cheating - I have no problem with McGregor doing it, the problem is Herb Dean who repeatedly let it slide without even a verbal warning.

Fuck it, I am caught in the illusion that sport is fair. UFC is a privately owned company, so I shouldn't get too excited. Khabib will be fine with or without it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I am of a cosmopolitan kind, Russian speaking born in Latvia.
FYI we don't care. Everything east of the Oder is Ivanistan.
Quote:
Khabib will be fine with or without it.
Exactly my point. He won, everybody saw he won, even with McGregor cheating like a sailor on shore leave Khabib took his lunch money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 am 
Jesus Christ®

Anyway, Khabib has bigger problems than Dana White.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/8/1 ... t-mma-news

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:50 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

I love how Karim slips in the part about wrestling a bear on the last line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:

I love how Karim slips in the part about wrestling a bear on the last line.

It's compelling TV!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

In Russian media when he was asked why he did it, he answered "Eagles do not seat in cages".
Completely crazy guy :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan
Quote:
Sharing a drink with McGregor while he insults Khabib on every level in worst possible manner. That looks like Dana White supports sportsmanlike behaviour of his fighters, doesn't it? The fact that McGregor doesn't want to press charges for being punched actually gives him a little bit of credit. Khabib should tell UFC go fuck themselves.
There's never been fairness in the prizefighting game because the ability to draw money matters. The guys who draw in the biggest three fight markets (US, Russia, and Brazil) will always get favored. Conor will get favorable treatment because he draws the most money. Khabib can't complain too much-- he gets favorable treatment over an arguably equally talented Ferguson who's never connected with fans. Besides he looks to get a chance to fight the second biggest draw in the US market now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Money excuses everything, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:47 am 
Jesus Christ®

They call it "pro sports" because the money comes before the sport. And Khabib is the author of his woe, if he had behaved like something other than a wild animal, nobody would have a leg to stand on criticizing him.

That said, I like him even more now than I did before the fight. Integrity matters to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:50 am 
Jesus Christ®

In this context his favorable treatment was not spending the next several years in a Nevada penitentiary for inciting a riot.