IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Money is often before everything and seems to justify almost everything.

Inciting a riot? Don't be silly, fighting with someone insulting you doesn't constitute inciting a riot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:46 am 
Jesus Christ®

It almost sounds like you know something about Nevada state law. Except, no, you don't. The legal definition of a "riot" in Nevada is when "two or more persons do an unlawful act of violence in a violent, tumultuous and illegal manner."

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-203.html

Which pretty much exactly describes what happened, no? Anyway, I have no problem with it so don't get me wrong, it made for compelling television to watch him go ape.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 am 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Quote:
UFC seems pretty meh now besides the Connor spectacle.

The current champs seem inferior to the champs and top contenders a few years ago.
Take Khabib. A stud for sure but I couldn't see him beating a prime BJ Penn or other former champs. His grappling looks great, but he's been having to take down a bunch of BJJ guys and kickboxers. The division has been devoid of elite American wrestlers so long he hasn't had to face any. I couldn't see him scoring a takedown on Sean Sherk or even Frankie Edgar. Against Sherk he would be fighting off his back the whole fight. Against a young Edgar he'd be getting peppered on the feet, taken down, let up, repeat for 5 rounds.

Woodley? GSP would jab him until his left eye fell out.
185? Prime Anderson and Prime Weidman would pee on everyone now
205? That division peaked 10 years ago, then came Jon Jones who was arguably better than all those killers, and he's already old news.
HW? The current champ is a small old dude(who's also the 205 champ lol)
Of coarse, USADA wasn't in the game then. Apples to oranges maybe.
There might be some truth to that, but besides the PEDs, I think the skill is overall lower.
Look at 155. The guy who just lost the title is a 145'er, and the guy Conor won the title from was already past his prime. Neither of the two guys who just fought for the title have beaten a single good wrestler at 155.
The same night, the #1 contender barely beat a dude that was champ like 4 years ago and is now fat and out of shape.

Demetrius Johnson is the only champ better than the champs of 3-5 years ago(which was still him LOL)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:15 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
I think the skill is overall lower.
Doesn’t make sense. Larger pool of athletes and more money to be made. More likely there is increased competitiveness and you’re less likely to have a standout in a division.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:22 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
It almost sounds like you know something about Nevada state law. Except, no, you don't. The legal definition of a "riot" in Nevada is when "two or more persons do an unlawful act of violence in a violent, tumultuous and illegal manner."

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-203.html

Which pretty much exactly describes what happened, no? Anyway, I have no problem with it so don't get me wrong, it made for compelling television to watch him go ape.
Actually, I looked up definition of "inciting riot": https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2102
Quote:
As used in this chapter, the term “to incite a riot”, or “to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot”, includes, but is not limited to, urging or instigating other persons to riot, but shall not be deemed to mean the mere oral or written (1) advocacy of ideas or (2) expression of belief, not involving advocacy of any act or acts of violence or assertion of the rightness of, or the right to commit, any such act or acts.
Inciting means to encourage, urge or persuade someone to act in a violent or unlawful way. He did none of that. Did he actually commit the crime of a riot? You can argue these were several fights rather than the organised group violence.

But as you said, we are on the same side. Khabib will be probably suspended for several months, maybe McGregor as well. At the end of the day both will be taken back with warm embrace to make more money for UFC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 pm 
Jesus Christ®

^^^You are looking at the US Code, not the laws of the State of Nevada.

AT ANY RATE, can you imagine the heat this makes for a rematch or two? Dana is swimming in his gold like Scrooge McDuck thinking about it as I type.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Rematch is pretty certain. They may have to get the Army guard the premises though. And this time the will most certainly break 3m pay per view mark.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Do you know what the numbers were for UFC 229?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:39 am 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn’t make sense. Larger pool of athletes and more money to be made. More likely there is increased competitiveness and you’re less likely to have a standout in a division.
You're talking theory, but in reality, its common in combat sports for there to be periods of time in which talent is lower. Take many of the divisions in boxing for instance compared to the 70's and 80's. USA Freestyle Wrestling hasn't gotten back to the talent levels of the 80's and 90's yet, though this years world team looks tough.

A while back you saw more BJJ world champs, All American wrestlers, stud kickboxers. Now you have guys learning all those arts at an "MMA gym". Specialization is important in sports, but too much in mma creates a generation of crappy wrestle-boxers.

Meanwhile, the recent challenger to the welterweight division, formerly the toughest division in mma, was some unknown British shiturd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:45 am 
Jesus Christ®

It's a mixed bag, and I haven't been watching enough recently to really have a meaningful perspective. I will say UFC 229 was pretty entertaining. I do have some suggestions tho:

1. Get rid of WMMA.

2. Get rid of WADA.

3. Have fewer weight classes.

4. Switch to Pride rules. No elbows but allow kicks to downed opponents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Rematch is pretty certain.
I am not sure.
Khabib said he will cancel his contract with UFC if they cancel his brother's fight.
He said he already defended his honor, other just do not matter much for him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:06 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're talking theory, but in reality, its common in combat sports for there to be periods of time in which talent is lower.
K, citing your specifics:
Quote:
Take many of the divisions in boxing for instance compared to the 70's and 80's.
Boxing was the second most popular sport in America behind baseball in 1950. An amateur golden gloves boxer in Chicago was a big deal. The talent pool has shrunk tremendously. MMA has moved in the opposite direction.
Quote:
USA Freestyle Wrestling hasn't gotten back to the talent levels of the 80's and 90's yet, though this years world team looks tough.
Super-niche sport where ups and downs are to be expected.
Quote:
A while back you saw more BJJ world champs, All American wrestlers, stud kickboxers. Now you have guys learning all those arts at an "MMA gym". Specialization is important in sports, but too much in mma creates a generation of crappy wrestle-boxers.
This evolution has happened quickly enough to see what has become of specific pure wrestlers, BJJ'ers, and striking sports. This doesn't make me happy, but it's real. In what I'd expect, Jon Jones and Conor McGregor should not be able to stand and bang with elite striking athletes. Womp womp.

The striking is substantially better than it was, on average. Chuck Liddell was considered a good striker and had the head defense of a totem pole. On the wrestling/grappling side, grappling success is not an indicator of MMA success any more, or Demian Maia and Marcelo Garcia would have won belts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Mak, I saw yesterday 2.4 million ppv buys...at 65.00 per is $156M.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:21 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
Mak, I saw yesterday 2.4 million ppv buys...at 65.00 per is $156M.
Hubba hubba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Dana White confirms UFC 229 pay-per-view numbers as new record after McGregor vs Khabib chaos

"Way over 2 million" is what's cited.

Edit. Spoke before reading Shape's post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov suspended for ten days after UFC229 brawl

Khabib Nurmagomedov threatens to quit UFC after brawl

I don't think it is an empty threat. It is pretty plausible that UFC will "accomodate" for 3m PPV. Either way Nurmagomedov is a hero in Russia and I suspect his fortune is considerably higher than McGregor's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 pm 
Jesus Christ®

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nurmagomedov wasn't offered some extra cheese to settle scores with McGregor. I know Kadyrov rewards his Chechens when they win and I wouldn't be surprised at all if similar things happen across the Russian Federation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:13 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I think a rematch is pretty certain. In the next few weeks there will be a lot of talking and speculating, but eventually everything will settle. I think they can also find the way to let Zubaida fight and at the same time make it look that he was punished for his part in the brawl.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Came across this, it's a guy who didn't have much of a chance of tapping to a neck crank and had his jaw broken.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Full fight in Italiano