IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:17 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:20 am 

That's me, I'm the novice lifter. My starting assumption has always been that a recreational lifter like myself should have no need of straps. I'd have no business lifting a weight I can't hold.

That idea is being challenged by where I am in deadlifting. I'm starting to approach 300#, but grip is a real limiter. I hit 275# a couple months ago but could only manage 3 reps. Posterior chain was raring to go, but my grip started to fail before I could attempt rep #4. I feel like I could make a real run at 300#, if I could manage my grip issues. I *do* plan on working on my grip. Bought some Captains of Crush thingies. There's too many side-benefits to ignore it, including pull-ups and Judo and maybe even piano and some sub-chronic elbow pain. But:

Should I wait on deadlifting "heavy", until I can manage to hold it? Or should I just get some straps and continue progressing in the deadlift, while training my grip on a separate track?

Are there safety issues to lifting more than I can hold? Seems to me that I could bail out with straps just as easily as I can without: I've never dropped the bar, I've just sort of relaxed myself back down to the ground with the bar in hand. That should be as easy with straps as without, I think. But I don't know what I don't know; not sure what other concerns there may be, or what hidden ways to hurt myself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 am 
Sergeant Commanding

As someone who is an eternal novice at lifting, personally, I would (and do) use straps. That's because lifting without straps irritates the hell out of my wrists and reduces my ability to lift consistently. And because my primary goal for deadlifting isn't to improve grip strength.

JMO, JME

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 am 
Private

Try improving grip strength before resorting to straps. Do more deadlift volume at moderate weight, if you can. Shrugs (with your deadlift grip and other grip variations) farmer's walks, static holds. The CoC grips are nice, but work a slightly different aspect of grip strength.

If you must use straps, use the short ones so that you can bail out if need be. Otherwise, once you strap up, you're married to that heavy thing. It will drag you down with it and crush something if you lose control.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

As a purist I say no. You can’t hold it with a mixed grip? Then you need more moderate volume. And maybe higher rep sets or pull from a deficit.

BUT, as I have grown less pure, if straps helps you avoid pain or injury or let’s you break a barrier, why not? I almost never used them, except when I used the Marty Gallagher method from PLUSA and did a cycle with them and got my fist and only 3x bodyweight DL. Hmmm....

But I now, due to age and wear and tear and experience, warm up double overhand until I switch to straps. Not because of grip but to avoid twisting and protecting my biceps.

Go for it. But strengthen your grip.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:58 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Jack has nailed my sensibilities here.

Another thing to add to the mix is to remember...straps, suits, wraps, bands, chains, special bars, etc...these are all tools. What is the purpose of the tool? The purpose of the straps is to allow you to lift more weight for more reps without grip being the weak point.

Ok..perfect. use it for that, lift more, heavier than you otherwise could....but recognize grip is a weak point and keep attending to it other ways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:54 am 

Thanks guys. Ordered a pair of straps.

Anything I should be careful of? Seems clear I shouldn't deadlift on a dock over the ocean at high tide, with straps. Explosive exercises with straps seem risky – but also unlikely, I don't see how I could possibly snatch or clean a weight that would require straps. My clean is somewhere around a third or so of my deadlift.

"Don't roll the barbell downstairs while strapped to it" seems to be the only obvious safety rule. Along with, "Bend back down with the bar when you fail a deadlift rep, rather than dropping it." Anything I'm missing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Thanks guys. Ordered a pair of straps.

Anything I should be careful of? Seems clear I shouldn't deadlift on a dock over the ocean at high tide, with straps. Explosive exercises with straps seem risky – but also unlikely, I don't see how I could possibly snatch or clean a weight that would require straps. My clean is somewhere around a third or so of my deadlift.

"Don't roll the barbell downstairs while strapped to it" seems to be the only obvious safety rule. Along with, "Bend back down with the bar when you fail a deadlift rep, rather than dropping it." Anything I'm missing?
Dropping a bar to show how cool you are is going to bend bars. But on some sets I drop it. It is my bar on a platform I built fromcushioning and I use bumpers. FWIW. Explosive pulls are a bad idea over 35. By that I mean pulling something explosively with bent elbows. Speed DLs with 65-85% make me work on my speed best. And leave a rep in the tank on deads.

And do grip work. Farmers walks. One hand hangs. Double overhand rack holds. One hand sleeve holds. Holding a bar is not squeezing a COC gripper. Some carryover, but like in most things, not as much as you would think.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:35 pm 

Quote:
One hand sleeve holds.
What's that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
One hand sleeve holds.
What's that?
Load bar in rack like a rack pull. Then hold the bar one handed by the sleeve outside the plates. Hold for 15-60 seconds.