IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 am

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 am 
Private

In the past, I've purchased increment plates during my short-lived attempts at following linear progression programs. I was pushed towards this purchase because, over several work-related moves, I encountered gyms wherein even 2.5lb plates were nonexistent or kept under lock and key. I still use the little plates despite moving away from linear programming.

Why? Simple. I indulge my inner autist/obsessive by making my working weight as close as possible to the percentage of max I intend to work with for any given workout. I've gotten away from really geeking out (breaking out .5lbs and smaller plates!) and have taught myself to be content with 1.25lb plates. Necessary? No. Do I like it? Yes.

I haven't yet bothered with calculating total volume using it for planning (i.e. rotating between power, hypertrophy, and strength microcycles whilst increasing volume at a constant rate throughout the whole meso/macrocyle a la Morrison's stuff), but the idea of manipulating volume through minuscule weight increases appeals to me.

Any other OCD types insist on using the tiny plates? Do we have anyone on the board who has managed to maintain (albeit slow) linear progression by slowing down and using the little plates?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Yeah, I have .5 lb plates as well as 2.5 lbs. I mostly used these in volume progressions on bench because for people who are literally struggling with 65 lbs, a 2 lb increase means a lot. I sometimes use them on cleans and snatches to get people through a mental block when a 5 lb jump seems to be a bit too much (literally one weight flies and 5 lbs more looks like total shit). Now I see things a little differently, ie, if I can't make a 5 lbs jump, I'm not ready for it and no need to be impatient. But, I think whatever motivates you is good. If adding small bits keeps you progressing, keep progressing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:35 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Poliquin was into this micro loading stuff.