Rucking Thread

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

newguy

Re: Rucking Thread

Post by newguy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:27 am

At this point I don't see myself going onto the trails with the pack. I may at some point come spring/summer. For now it will mainly be the bike path.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:40 am

newguy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:51 am

...I'm doing more HH work. But as I've done that I've come to question a lot of the conclusions the good doctor Leonard Schwartz came to.
HI Newguy: My sense of Dr. Schwartz is that he was the kind of open-minded guy who, if he was still around, would also be questioning his own previous conclusions. I have enjoyed HH, intermittently, for decades, in a "play" way, not in any formulaic way, and I think simply getting out and walking and pumping DBs and moving our body in many ways, (e.g., squatting, lunging, skipping, duck walks, with flys, presses, shoveling-movements, etc., etc., etc.,) has much to offer, especially to desk-jockey boomers like myself. Starting with a simple, "love of walking" as you describe, I have also, over time, played with Exerstrider poles ("Nordic walking") tire-dragging and weightvests. All good :-) What about Dr. Schwartz's conclusions do you find yourself questioning?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm

Cayenne wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:40 am
newguy wrote:

...I'm doing more HH work. But as I've done that I've come to question a lot of the conclusions the good doctor Leonard Schwartz came to.
HI Newguy: My sense of Dr. Schwartz is that he was the kind of open-minded guy who, if he was still around, would also be questioning his own previous conclusions. I have enjoyed HH, intermittently, for decades, in a "play" way, not in any formulaic way, and I think simply getting out and walking and pumping DBs and moving our body in many ways, (e.g., squatting, lunging, skipping, duck walks, with flys, presses, shoveling-movements, etc., etc., etc.,) has much to offer, especially to desk-jockey boomers like myself. Starting with a simple, "love of walking" as you describe, I have also, over time, played with Exerstrider poles ("Nordic walking") tire-dragging and weightvests. All good :-) What about Dr. Schwartz's conclusions do you find yourself questioning?
He was developing a squat/dip or chin program if I remember right where you were using your whole body that looked pretty sweet.

I've done HH and I think there's a certain amount of genius to it, but I think better things have come along. 5 light swings/snatches on the minute for x minutes just seems like a vastly better way to spend your training time. I don't know why one would specifically recommend HH unless you were dealing with a seriously detrained person, and then I'd probably just have them walk.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Well maybe not. A TRX and strategic use of bands would probably be better.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Cayenne wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:40 am
newguy wrote:

Maybe questioning his conclusions isn't the best way of putting it.....more questioning how replicable his results are in the general population.

What I have found is the what Dr. Schwartz did was NOT in any way "walking" with weights in the hands (which is what I am doing.) That's not what transformed his physique.

The good doctor did a lot of aerobics with hand weights. (I think his video is still online). There is another HH class online too. It looks lame. It feels lame.

And everything he did, all these things are also done at really high cadences. If I recall his double ski poling is at like 35 reps per minute. When he shadowboxed I think it was 100 punches per minute.... and his walking was really fast and double ski poles. A lot of duck walks, all that.

Okay...so what's the problem. Just do that then, right?

Sure. I've tried. It sucks. And not in a good pleasurable way. It's not fun. It looks stupid. It feels stupid.

No one works out this way and there is a reason.

And the reason, I think, is that you can get just as good results in ways that feel better.

I still (obviously) use HH. But this point I am using it solely as a way to burn a little more calories when I walk....which I do mostly for the pleasure of being outside and walking. Fitness benefits are a bonus. I'll also use HH when I am pacing around the house, which I do to both kill some time and make sure I'm not just plopped on the couch.
Last edited by newguy on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 pm

His squat dip thing -

The idea was a bar at chin/chest height that you could squat and pull. Squat down while holding the bar, use legs and arms to drive up. Almost like rowing but standing up. And the same with the dip. People used robust walkers and other stuff to replicate, but as mentioned suspension straps, etc. work. Supposedly he had a lot of exercises you could do like that but he never published his work.

But it's the same thing...when you read what he said the reps per minute were really high and the times were long and it is boring.

Panaerobics or long strength was what he was calling it.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 pm

newguy:

There is some hardgainer type, John Mckean maybe, who has done a lot of stuff with the dip and chin thing that Schwartz came up with, look up "longstrength" maybe?

https://strengthendurance.net/2014/10/0 ... nce-bands/
http://usawa.com/resorteras-rehab-and-records/
https://usawa.com/tag/longstrength/

Also, an indoor version of heavy hands where you step on and off a platform can be useful for winter months. I will go 20-30 minutes stepping on and off a 12-14" step, 14" is about as high as I'd want to go, 12" is better for cadence and smoothness. Step forward, backwards, sideways, do all the shit with the arms...I can get to a 130-140 BPM heart rate and stay there pretty easily for the duration. This can also be combined with a light pack

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Also, an indoor version of heavy hands where you step on and off a platform can be useful for winter months.
When I travel, a go-to workout is to just grab a DB from the hotel gym and do laps in the hotel stairwell. Usually just one 45 or 50, swapping hands and using the free hand to pull on the railings when I'm getting torqued. The grip gets worked too. Never fails to please.
Don’t believe everything you think.