Easy Full-Body Workout

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Easy Full-Body Workout

Post by Bram » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:53 am

Had a guy work through this for the past 4 weeks....went well for him. He increased on all his lifts and it's an easy hour workout. Thought I'd share in case people were looking for something general to do. Workouts to be done on non-consecutive days e.g. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

15 reps of each exercise (unless otherwise noted), 2 sets of each...warm-up on squats and push-ups with 2-3 sets of 5-10 light reps (increasing intensity each set), can do the same for any other exercise if you feel like it.

If there's multiple options (e.g. assisted pull-ups or lat pull-downs) pick one for the duration of this, after 3-4 weeks you should be ready for something else.

Dumbbell Goblet Squat
and
Push-Ups

Dumbbell Split-Squats aka Stationary Lunge
and
Assisted Pull-Ups or Lat Pulldown

Dumbbell Calf Raises
and
Seated Cable Row

Flutter Kicks 15-30 each leg: flatten low back, tense abs like bracing for a punch and draw abs towards spine
and
Band or Cable Anti-Rotation 45-60 seconds each side

1-Leg Lying Hamstring Curl
and
Machine or Cable Reverse Fly

45 Degree Low Back Extension or Deadlift
and
Dumbbell Side Lying External Rotation

His goal was to get in better shape for ski season, which starts next week for him.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Easy Full-Body Workout

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:06 pm

This is the kind of workout that I would have scoffed at 10 years ago, but now I think is just right for a lot of folks. Obviously this is not going to prepare you for strength sports, but it's plenty work for someone who wants to look and feel better and build some strength for outdoor fun. I've often thought that pushups, pullups, and deadlifts would make a totally adequate workout for most.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:06 pm
This is the kind of workout that I would have scoffed at 10 years ago, but now I think is just right for a lot of folks. Obviously this is not going to prepare you for strength sports, but it's plenty work for someone who wants to look and feel better and build some strength for outdoor fun. I've often thought that pushups, pullups, and deadlifts would make a totally adequate workout for most.
Swap out dips for push-ups and use a trap bar for the deadlifts and you had me at hello.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Dips are great, but it depends on a person's strength to weight ratio. Pushups would make a good entry point in a progression toward them. I've never used a trap bar so I can't comment on TBDL.

In psychological services, the first thing they drilled into us was, above all do no harm. So many exercise regimes work great for alphas, but can fuck other people up. There's nothing wrong with dips, or any exercise, but the population they serve well can vary. I *think* that pushups are a good choice for a broader portion of the exercising public.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:42 pm

When the shoulders are not hurting I would do dips,right now they feel really beat up and hurting so would go for push ups.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:58 am

Dips....the PT at my gym has worked with dozens of NFL athletes and he says dips are horrible for the joints (something to do with the long head of the biceps tendon tearing away from the labrum if I remember correctly). It's not a matter of IF according to him, but WHEN an injury will happen.

Something to consider and here's his bio if you're thinking "who the fuck is the random PT"

http://dereksamuelmpt.com
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA