IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:14 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking 3 Years Younger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:09 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Facial exercises may significantly reduce some of the signs of aging, according to an interesting new study of the effects of repeating specific, expressive movements on people’s appearance.

Basically, a pilot study of women did a couple of 30-minute facial muscle workouts a week for 20 weeks. At the end of it, the women reported a great deal of satisfaction, and even the more skeptical dermatologists independently rated them an average of 3 years younger than their chronological age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/well ... ule=inline

I know that this may be a little too cosmetic for some of you, but for those who are interested in both feeling and looking better, it may be worth a quick glance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 am 
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

I've found that cops seldom give traffic tickets to senior citizens. It's up to you. Do facial exercises and go to jail. Or not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:21 am 
Lifetime IGer

This weirdly dovetails with that study showing people who look young live longer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:40 am 
Gunny

Quote:
This weirdly dovetails with that study showing people who look young live longer.
Heh, I've thought about things along this line recently, e.g., people who regularly feel tired mid day and need a nap to get through apparently have more health problems (I feel the need to nap pretty often). This doesn't mean that trying to stay alert and skip naps will help you avoid those problems. Looking younger is just a symptom of being in better shape internally. I don't expect you think otherwise but I know there are lots of people who do.

I will admit that my neck is starting to clue people in to my age and I don't like it (skin is starting to look loose to me). I'm not going to do anything about it like these exercises but I would prefer to stay looking younger (I did get a speeding ticket last year). Up to now I've been pretty regularly mistaken for someone 10-15 years younger. It tickles my ego to have someone surprised I've got a daughter in her mid 20s...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Interesting. The woman in the NYTimes photos does look more youthful.

My hypothesis: if people see/treat you as younger, you will enjoy greater youth. Essentially, be younger. For that reason, I avoid any kind of "age-appropriate" community or endeavor. I do young man's stuff in measured doses.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:44 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
Heh, I've thought about things along this line recently, e.g., people who regularly feel tired mid day and need a nap to get through apparently have more health problems (I feel the need to nap pretty often). This doesn't mean that trying to stay alert and skip naps will help you avoid those problems. Looking younger is just a symptom of being in better shape internally. I don't expect you think otherwise but I know there are lots of people who do.

I will admit that my neck is starting to clue people in to my age and I don't like it (skin is starting to look loose to me). I'm not going to do anything about it like these exercises but I would prefer to stay looking younger (I did get a speeding ticket last year). Up to now I've been pretty regularly mistaken for someone 10-15 years younger. It tickles my ego to have someone surprised I've got a daughter in her mid 20s...
Neck is actually the easiest limb to train; it would be easy to create muscle that would increase tone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:44 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:

My hypothesis: if people see/treat you as younger, you will enjoy greater youth. Essentially, be younger. For that reason, I avoid any kind of "age-appropriate" community or endeavor. I do young man's stuff in measured doses.
It's strippers and sports cars from here on out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
Quote:
Looking younger is just a symptom of being in better shape internally. I don't expect you think otherwise but I know there are lots of people who do.
The study doesn't claim this, but I think it's very believable that the social benefits of being more attractive, which include income, could contribute to longevity. Especially but not exclusively for women. A lot of blue zone traits are community/social based. As with anything, attempts to appear more youthful can get pretty weird in places like Socal and FL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:

Where's the cocaine?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Get in the car.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Years ago I read a study that hanging out with nubile women is beneficial for men. Or maybe I dreamed it.

But it's true.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:10 am 
Jesus Christ®

I'm willing to bet that having a 20 year old stripper on your arm makes the average man look, and feel, 3 years younger. Actually, a bunch of things like having sex, winning a fight, and hitting a PR in the gym have been shown to raise testosterone levels in healthy men. To the long boats!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:20 am 

Facial exercises are a pretty crucial component of treatment for Parkinsons.

In addition to subjectively "looking younger", I wonder if some of these things assist with speech, and with nonverbal communication (expressions & stuff), in ways that help alleviate social isolation in the aging.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I honestly think that if women shaved their faces they would look younger. Facial exercises plus collagen stimulation. shaven men always have better looking faces than women the same age.