Coach says...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Coach says...

Post by seeahill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:35 am

Did a coach ever say anything memorable, good or bad? My high school swimming coach said:

There is no barrier.

Pain is the purifier.

Speed is a gift, endurance is an achievement.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Coach says...

Post by Bram » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:13 am

We need some Greggy Glassman quotes here
"Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there its sits nevertheless, calmly licking its chops." - H.L. Mencken

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:20 am

Here's a couple from the Coach G

"We’ve weathered attacks against every single facet of this concept from academia, commercial fitness, athletic training, and Internet turds with no athletic training or experience beyond Internet posting (DD, IronGarm, T-Nation)."

“Triathletes are sorely lacking in strength, speed, power, flexibility, accuracy, agility, and coordination, but they’ve sure got a lock on malnutrition”

"With high carb diets you either get fat or weak"

"Penetrating so many secrets, we cease to believe in the unknowable. But there its sits nevertheless, calmly licking its chops." - H.L. Mencken

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:41 am

The thing that stuck with me the most was an athlete, not coach. My HS wrestling coach was a minor local legend for being a hardass and was able to field competitive teams despite a lack of any feeder program the other schools had. Partly it was a huge high school, but we trained very, very hard. By far, all-time favorite feeling as an athlete was losing badly after two periods to more athletic and skilled wrestlers who got tired in the third, and pinning them.

The workouts were brutal though. The smell of the room still makes my stomach sink, and he'd pretty much yell at the final run/sprint sessions as people just kind of suffered through it with the heat cranked up. No water allowed during practice.

At one point junior year everybody is grinding through the last couple minutes of the finisher when some folks would try to slack and everybody is in zombie mode, and a senior yells out "Work me hard, coach! I want to win!" I could not believe that shit, he was also a higher weight class and those guys had a harder time with cals/running. Everybody sped up. The coach let out a whoop, "DID YOU HEAR THAT? TORY IS A WINNER."

Maybe the ex-military folks have seen such things, but it was a crazy experience to see someone assume a leadership role (he was probably 17) and exhort truly exhausted kids to work harder when they were already being pushed to as hard as the coaching team thought could be done.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:52 am

My friend's coach: if sport interferes with school - drop out of school.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:52 pm

"Start slowly, then ease off" -Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm

My father gave me some wonderful words of wisdom when I was a child. Didn't realize the profoundness of it until I was older and had kids of my own. To understand, I must give some background. My father is not an educated man; he grew up during the depression. He stopped going to school at grade 3 because he had "to work." He worked in the fields while his older brothers went off to WW2. He started working in the woods at age 14 as a "notcher" on the felling crew. He used a double bitted axe to notch the trees for directional falling. He did that until he saved up enough money to buy a car. He then bought a car and went to Pittsburgh to work in the steel mills. He saved that money so that he could buy two one person chainsaws to come back up and start contract falling. Eventually he saved up enough to buy a dozer. Then saved up enough to buy a log truck. Ended up buying a ton a property over the years and was very successful in business.

Anyway, he was always a person who believed in, what he called - "Sweat Equity." "You want something, you work for it. You live by the sweat of your own brow."

Beyond those two beauties I often say things he said to me when I was working in his firewood business as an adolescent...

"Son, Now is not the time to be a pussy"
"Son, you're not tired yet."
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm

My father gave me some wonderful words of wisdom when I was a child. Didn't realize the profoundness of it until I was older and had kids of my own. To understand, I must give some background. My father is not an educated man; he grew up during the depression. He stopped going to school at grade 3 because he had "to work." He worked in the fields while his older brothers went off to WW2. He started working in the woods at age 14 as a "notcher" on the felling crew. He used a double bitted axe to notch the trees for directional falling. He did that until he saved up enough money to buy a car. He then bought a car and went to Pittsburgh to work in the steel mills. He saved that money so that he could buy two one person chainsaws to come back up and start contract falling. Eventually he saved up enough to buy a dozer. Then saved up enough to buy a log truck. Ended up buying a ton a property over the years and was very successful in business.

Anyway, he was always a person who believed in, what he called - "Sweat Equity." "You want something, you work for it. You live by the sweat of your own brow."

Beyond those two beauties I often say things he said to me when I was working in his firewood business as an adolescent...

The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:57 pm

That is a great story! Props to your dad!
Really Big Strong Guy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm