Help me read my labs!

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Post Reply
User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37528
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Help me read my labs!

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm

I had blood work done for the first time because I was switching my primary care physician and she asked me to. I got the results back, and I haven't a clue what they mean. I imagine some of you do, though, so help me interpret what I am seeing. Here's "da lipids":

Cholesterol: 187 mg/dL
Triglyceride: 112 mg/dL
HDL: 68 mg/dL
LDL: 97 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Risk Factor (RCHD): 1.42


Mahalo!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: Help me read my labs!

Post by Bram » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 am

Cholesterol Panel
You’ll also get your cholesterol panel taken: this test measures the different fats in your blood. You need some fat in your blood for your body and organs to work, but doctors are specifically looking at the good fat and bad fats to make sure there is a balance in the ratio.

Just to be clear, this isn’t a ratio of fats in your diet – your body makes cholesterol in your liver and that process is influenced by your genetics, age, lifestyle and other factors. Too much bad fats (LDL and triglycerides) in your blood will make your arteries hard and can be responsible for heart disease and stroke. The good cholesterol (HDL) are responsible for undoing some of the damage from the bad cholesterol and support your body’s health.

Total cholesterol: <200mg/dL – measure your combined LDL & HDL
LDL cholesterol: <100 mg/dL is optimal – your “bad” cholesterol
HDL cholesterol: >40-59 mg/dL (>60 considered protective against heart disease) – your “good” cholesterol
Triglyceride: <150 mg/dL – measures a different kind of fat in the blood
Cholesterol ratio: Divide HDL cholesterol into your total cholesterol. So, if your total cholesterol is 200mg/dL and your HDL cholesterol is 50 mg/dL, your cholesterol ratio is 4-to-1. According to the American Heart Association, the goal is to keep your cholesterol ratio under 5-to-1. The optimal ratio is 3.5-to-1. A higher ratio indicates a higher risk of heart disease; a lower ratio indicates a lower risk.

https://nutritiouslife.com/nurture-your ... ults-mean/

----

Just a little googling for ya
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

User avatar
Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: Help me read my labs!

Post by Bram » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 am

As an aside, I stumbled across this article a few weeks ago on the benefits of eating walnuts/walnut oil:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/LindaPo ... nefits.htm

Consumption of walnuts or walnut oil has been shown to lower total cholesterol, LDL (bad cholesterol) and the ratio of LDL to HDL (good cholesterol). Furthermore, regular walnut oil consumption reduced triglyceride levels 19 to 33% in a 45-day study.

And a study for the scientific minded on the benefits of Walnut and Flax oils on cardiovascular health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3862179/
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Ryan
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2916
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Help me read my labs!

Post by Ryan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm
I had blood work done for the first time because I was switching my primary care physician and she asked me to. I got the results back, and I haven't a clue what they mean. I imagine some of you do, though, so help me interpret what I am seeing. Here's "da lipids":

Cholesterol: 187 mg/dL
Triglyceride: 112 mg/dL
HDL: 68 mg/dL
LDL: 97 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Risk Factor (RCHD): 1.42


Mahalo!
You gonna die.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37528
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Help me read my labs!

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:30 pm

Ryan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm
I had blood work done for the first time because I was switching my primary care physician and she asked me to. I got the results back, and I haven't a clue what they mean. I imagine some of you do, though, so help me interpret what I am seeing. Here's "da lipids":

Cholesterol: 187 mg/dL
Triglyceride: 112 mg/dL
HDL: 68 mg/dL
LDL: 97 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Risk Factor (RCHD): 1.42


Mahalo!
You gonna die.
Am I dead?
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Ryan
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2916
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Help me read my labs!

Post by Ryan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:30 pm
Ryan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm
I had blood work done for the first time because I was switching my primary care physician and she asked me to. I got the results back, and I haven't a clue what they mean. I imagine some of you do, though, so help me interpret what I am seeing. Here's "da lipids":

Cholesterol: 187 mg/dL
Triglyceride: 112 mg/dL
HDL: 68 mg/dL
LDL: 97 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Risk Factor (RCHD): 1.42


Mahalo!
You gonna die.
Am I dead?
Soon.

Your lipid profile is actually very good.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37528
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Help me read my labs!

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:31 pm

That's good to hear. It's proof that a diet of ribeye, vegetables, and vodka martinis is the regimen for perfect health and prosperity.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Post Reply