IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:30 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help me read my labs!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm 
Jesus Christ®

I had blood work done for the first time because I was switching my primary care physician and she asked me to. I got the results back, and I haven't a clue what they mean. I imagine some of you do, though, so help me interpret what I am seeing. Here's "da lipids":

Cholesterol: 187 mg/dL
Triglyceride: 112 mg/dL
HDL: 68 mg/dL
LDL: 97 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Risk Factor (RCHD): 1.42

Mahalo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Cholesterol Panel
You’ll also get your cholesterol panel taken: this test measures the different fats in your blood. You need some fat in your blood for your body and organs to work, but doctors are specifically looking at the good fat and bad fats to make sure there is a balance in the ratio.

Just to be clear, this isn’t a ratio of fats in your diet – your body makes cholesterol in your liver and that process is influenced by your genetics, age, lifestyle and other factors. Too much bad fats (LDL and triglycerides) in your blood will make your arteries hard and can be responsible for heart disease and stroke. The good cholesterol (HDL) are responsible for undoing some of the damage from the bad cholesterol and support your body’s health.

Total cholesterol: <200mg/dL – measure your combined LDL & HDL
LDL cholesterol: <100 mg/dL is optimal – your “bad” cholesterol
HDL cholesterol: >40-59 mg/dL (>60 considered protective against heart disease) – your “good” cholesterol
Triglyceride: <150 mg/dL – measures a different kind of fat in the blood
Cholesterol ratio: Divide HDL cholesterol into your total cholesterol. So, if your total cholesterol is 200mg/dL and your HDL cholesterol is 50 mg/dL, your cholesterol ratio is 4-to-1. According to the American Heart Association, the goal is to keep your cholesterol ratio under 5-to-1. The optimal ratio is 3.5-to-1. A higher ratio indicates a higher risk of heart disease; a lower ratio indicates a lower risk.

https://nutritiouslife.com/nurture-your ... ults-mean/

----

Just a little googling for ya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 am 
Sergeant Commanding

As an aside, I stumbled across this article a few weeks ago on the benefits of eating walnuts/walnut oil:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/LindaPo ... nefits.htm

Consumption of walnuts or walnut oil has been shown to lower total cholesterol, LDL (bad cholesterol) and the ratio of LDL to HDL (good cholesterol). Furthermore, regular walnut oil consumption reduced triglyceride levels 19 to 33% in a 45-day study.

And a study for the scientific minded on the benefits of Walnut and Flax oils on cardiovascular health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3862179/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:17 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
I had blood work done for the first time because I was switching my primary care physician and she asked me to. I got the results back, and I haven't a clue what they mean. I imagine some of you do, though, so help me interpret what I am seeing. Here's "da lipids":

Mahalo!
You gonna die.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:30 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:

Mahalo!
You gonna die.
Am I dead?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mahalo!
You gonna die.
Am I dead?
Soon.

Your lipid profile is actually very good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:31 pm 
Jesus Christ®

That's good to hear. It's proof that a diet of ribeye, vegetables, and vodka martinis is the regimen for perfect health and prosperity.