Only endurance exercise slows down ageing

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:11 am

Running, swimming, cycling and other types of endurance exercise can slow cellular aging, but strength training may not, a new study suggests.

Researchers looked at how different types of exercise affected telomeres in 124 inactive, young, healthy adults.

Telomeres are protective caps on the ends of chromosomes. As you age, telomeres shorten and result in cell ageing. However, an enzyme called telomerase can counteract the shortening process and even add length to the telomeres.

The study participants were randomly assigned to six months of either: endurance training (long sessions of running); high-intensity interval training (high-intensity running alternating with slower running); resistance (weight) training; or no changes in activity (the control group).

Telomerase activity

The participants' telomere length and telomerase activity were assessed at the start of the study, and two to seven days after the final exercise session, according to the authors. The study was published in the European Heart Journal.

"Our main finding is that compared to the start of the study and the control group, in volunteers who did endurance and high-intensity training, telomerase activity and telomere length increased, which are both important for cellular ageing, regenerative capacity and thus, healthy ageing," said study leader Ulrich Laufs, a professor at Leipzig University in Germany. "Interestingly, resistance training did not exert these effects."

Compared to the resistance and control groups, telomerase activity increased two to threefold and telomere length increased significantly in the endurance and high-intensity training groups.

"The study identifies a mechanism by which endurance training – but not resistance training – improves healthy ageing. It may help to design future studies on this important topic by using telomere length as indicator of 'biological age' in future intervention studies," Laufs said in a journal news release.

Endurance and high-intensity training could increase telomere length and telomerase activity by affecting levels of nitric oxide in blood vessels, which produces changes in cells, the researchers theorised.

"From an evolutionary perspective, endurance and high-intensity training may mimic the advantageous traveling and fight-or-flight behaviour of our ancestors better than strength training," said study co-author Dr Christian Werner, from Saarland University in Germany.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Only endurance exercise slows down ageing

Post by nafod » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:29 pm

I think you need to change the thread title to include HIIT too.

They got their HIIT fix from running, but I assume you can the same from more strength training-related regimes too.

All good news...
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm

I don't think you can replicate maximum effort of HIIT by lifting weights close to max. Can you do Tabata template with squat or deadlift? I think it is a sure recipe for injury. Why not pick up couple of endurance sessions once or twice a week instead, HIIT or LSD?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37 am

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm
I don't think you can replicate maximum effort of HIIT by lifting weights close to max. Can you do Tabata template with squat or deadlift? I think it is a sure recipe for injury. Why not pick up couple of endurance sessions once or twice a week instead, HIIT or LSD?
Agreed. And, I think, the conclusions are unsurprising. However, there are a lot of ways to measure "aging" including loss of balance, range of motion, and sarcopenia; all of these markers benefit from strength training and given how easy it is to pick up a barbell a couple of times a week, there's no need to choose.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 am

Weight lifting in what I’ve seen in older folks fixes many of the visible aspects of aging. Seems like the endurance work fixes the actual aging.

Good argument for both.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:38 am

IMHO flexibility/dexterity and bone density are factors that are also pretty important as we age-- endurance training doesn't necessarily address them as effectively as other forms of training.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 am

This study addressed telomere length, which is an intermediate measure of longevity. To make things more confusing, there is no proven connection of diet and telomere length, though we know that reduced intake is associated with longevity. So no, this study is not the final answer. But it adds to the common sense that doing both lifting and cardio is probably better for the average Joe than one of them exclusively.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 am
This study addressed telomere length, which is an intermediate measure of longevity. To make things more confusing, there is no proven connection of diet and telomere length, though we know that reduced intake is associated with longevity. So no, this study is not the final answer. But it adds to the common sense that doing both lifting and cardio is probably better for the average Joe than one of them exclusively.
Agreed. Common sense and experience has shown me that a lot of physical movement (cardio) plus a few hours of strength training a week can take you pretty far towards fitness, physique, and longevity goals. Pair it with decent nutrition and recuperation and you are golden.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Fat Cat, please check out link in new thread I just posted in this forum, www.TheHappyBody.com. Those authors knock endurance exercise as part of healthy aging.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:34 pm

I'll check it out. I actually have their book. They both come from a Polish weightlifting background and are very down on endurance exercise.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:03 am

Weightlifters are usually crappy runners, hence their denigration of endurance. A life long marathon runner will put down weight lifting as unnecessary and harmful. Chose your love and run with it. Figuratively speaking.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 am

Sangoma, I have only perused their website and book offerings on Amazon, not read their book(s), but from what I glean, they feel endurance exercise overall is not good for aging well, not just running. Yes, your comment, i.e., "not being good at it", might still apply but, and I say this as more of an endurance oriented than strength training oriented person over the decades, while it can be argued they are wrong, it seems their beliefs are sincere rather than motivated by a mere, "We're not good at it". My impression anyway.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Moderate endurance exercise is superb for its "anti-aging" effects, but any form of very high intensity work--strength or endurance--will usually have the opposite effect. Phidippides cardiomyopathy being a well-known example of that.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Cayenne, I am not putting down their book or work in general. The debate of lifting vs. running has been around forever. I can debate at length why my favorite sports are the most superior, but there won't be any truth in it. Research suggests that both lifting and endurance activities have benefits, so why omit either? BTW, not being good at something or disliking it is way more honest reason of avoiding something that trying to pull together supporting facts.

High intensity/volume anything is detrimental. Most obvious - hard manual labor, while glamourized, has the ability to destroy the body in the long term. There are many examples of broken ex-pro's after their careers run out. But I don't think I need to argue the benefits of sports here.

Lifting builds muscles and bones, jogging strengthens the heart, HIIT makes utilization of oxygen more efficient- and all have mental value. So why dis one for the other?

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:03 am

Thanks Fat Cat & Sangoma. All good points.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:17 am

I completely suck at distance running (I'm a natural sprinter/naturally good at moving heavy things) yet here I am toiling away trying to make 50 mile weeks a regular thing. A certain amount of that is stubbornness and it'd be cool if the running slows down aging for me so I can be stubborn longer...

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 am

Kirk, why are you putting in that kind of mileage?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:37 pm

To me, there is a relatively optimal middle ground of lifting moderate weights and running middle distances that is probably best for most guys who aren't preparing for some specific event. I look and feel better when I do both, and I don't see why most other folks wouldn't have the same results.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Cayenne wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 am
Kirk, why are you putting in that kind of mileage?
I signed up for a marathon. When I started at my job (28 years ago) my boss at the time did his first marathon around the same time. He was 50. I thought that was a cool thing. Here I am at 50 so might as well. I'm also giving some thought to doing a 50 miler next year (with the marathon as a test to see if I might like this sort of thing or not). I can't see myself repeating these things but who knows... Maybe after one or both of these I might feel like a runner.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Kirk, this is crazy. In a good way. I have tremendous respect for people pushing themselves for the sake of nothing else but to do something difficult. "Why would you do such a thing?" - "Because fuck you, that's why". Cool stuff, man, good luck.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 am

Heh, I don't know if it's worthy of respect or just boneheaded. I generally run because I believe it's good for health. If someone asked me the why question, since I do more than what is required for health, I would probably say because I suck at it. ;)

I fell on friday and bruised or cracked some ribs (I found out tue that they are just bruised). The fall was not due to running but, apparently due to not knowing how to go to the bathroom without passing out while prepping for a colonoscopy. I still ran friday and saturday. Then on sunday I sneezed hard, which was every bit as painful as kidney stones or a ureteric stent, and my ribs felt even worse. Later that day I ran about half a mile before the muscles around the rib injury spasmed so bad I couldn't continue (I did try). I rested for about an hour before I went running again. ;) I'm currently at 661 days in a row of running at least 1 mile (avg is 4.9 miles). So, yeah, maybe more boneheaded than anything.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:34 pm

For me boneheadedness is respect worthy. As per Charles Bukowsky: Find what you love and let it kill you. Let it drain from you your all. Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness. Let it kill you, and let it devour your remains. For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it's much better to be killed by a lover.

Apparently it's not Bukowsky's quote, but a good one nevertheless.

Another one - my registrar told me: she refused to eat some food cooked by her Russian grandmother, as it was "not healthy". Grandmother said: "One day you will feel silly at the hospital, dying of nothing..."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Lifting builds muscles and bones, jogging strengthens the heart, HIIT makes utilization of oxygen more efficient- and all have mental value. So why dis one for the other?
Rucking tells the others, “hold my beer”
Don’t believe everything you think.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:37 pm
To me, there is a relatively optimal middle ground of lifting moderate weights and running middle distances that is probably best for most guys who aren't preparing for some specific event. I look and feel better when I do both, and I don't see why most other folks wouldn't have the same results.
You are absolutely right. We are all human and while different, we all have the same essential needs. Endurance work. Strength work (part of which should be moving an external weight). Mobility/flexibility.

And in this middle ground there is a lot of variation where a person can still be healthy and happy and age well while achieving their own particular goals based on culture, genetics, personal interests, etc. It doesn't have to be balanced. A person who loves weight training and is looking to get big and strong will benefit by doing some walking/elliptical work a couple of days a week and stretching. A runner putting in 5 to 6 runs a week will feel better and run better if they add a couple of days of strength training and yoga.

I'm at the point now where I think the key is 2 -4 days of endurance work, 2-4 days of strength training, 2-4 days of flexibility/mobility work in any combination that lets you achieve your goals.