Meat only, keto etc

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

odin
Sgt. Major

Meat only, keto etc

Post by odin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 pm

I've started following some folk on twitter that I regret, but like driving past a nasty accident I just can't take my eyes off the carnage now I know it's there. Basically, this season's paleo diet appears to be meat only or other ketogenic variations. The followers make vegans seem reasonable and all gather around a variety of non-medical Dr's, (or actual medical, but disgraced and struck off Dr's) who seem to lead the movement. They post compelling anecdotes about individuals excelling with this approach and dismiss any research that may suggest that such practices may not be very good for you. In short, they are utter utter cunts. Worse than the paleo crowd, worse than the vegan zealots.

It is also part of the growing 'anti-science' movement that is really starting to wind me up. Casual internet surfers now consider themselves more qualified than bona fide professionals, usually proving their point by regurgitating some marketing bullshit from whatever celeb trainer they are currently following.

Not a new observation, I know, but I needed to rant.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Meat only, keto etc

Post by Sangoma » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:08 pm

Dietary idiocy is strong. I am as amused as you are. Joe Rogan is partially to blame for the proliferation of keto diet: he converted after the interview with Mark Sisson and keeps raving about the effects since. Usual reasoning: "humans were designed to eat _____ therefore everything else is not natural" etc. Even after the recent interview with Taubes and Guyenet where the former made a complete wanker of himself Rogan is still unsure "who to trust". It's a hard one for sure: Guyenet with scores of references versus Taubes whose main argument is "admit it that it is at least reasoneble to assume this is possible".

I am blown away by the intensity of feelings some people have about right or wrong food. My observation: the slower the "metabolism" 8-[ the stronger the opinion.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:45 am

People are really dumb and the internet allows them to bask in their ignorance.

In indigenous societies that survive off of all meat, they are eating a lot of the organs, tendons, and bone marrow. Organs contain a lot of the vitamins that people in southern climates get from fruits and vegetables.

Most people who want to follow these diets think its all about steak and bacon. They are sorely mistaken.

Its kind of like one of my clients who claimed to be a vegetarian. What she meant was that she mostly ate bread and processed shit. And she was so malnourished, you could see her spine and upper ribs. I'd say that 75% of the "vegetarian" or "vegans" I coached were just anorexic. Its a disorder I despise and I am (Ir)rationally angry towards people who have it.

Ultimately, all this shit is about the abz. They will develop all kinds of cognitive dissonance and bullshit about how its more healthy, but they secretly hope it will give them abz. Kind of like my morbidly obese sister who thinks that home made almond milk and yoga will make her as skinny as her fellow yoga enthusiasts. She doesn't understand that home made almond milk is probably all they eat for the day.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:25 pm

"One of the downsides of the Internet is that it enables like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 pm

I've done periods of keto, all meat and cyclical low carb ever since Mauro DiPasquale put out the Anabolic Diet back in the 90's. It was always for fat loss.

I'm a natural born fatty and have been overweight since I was a kid.

Adherence was not too bad, but eating meat all the time is no fun. I never really lost much weight beyond the initial water weight loss, but it seemed almost impossible to gain weight. At least there was that and that was also the reason why I keep trying different permutations of these diets. One thing that is guaranteed to happen is a decrease in performance. All my lifts go to shit and I have no energy for anything. That's reason enough to avoid anything keto related.
My last attempt was December of '17 through ~May '18. I tried the all meat thing. I lost no weight and gained no weight either. I don't think I made any progress in my workouts either.

FWIW I still think keto and it's derivatives are worth a shot for a lot of people. Some people claim it's improved their lives. I just wasn't one of them.

Also, fuck Joe Rogan. Do you really think it's the keto and the onnit supplements or is it the TRT?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2019 12:39 am

Keto is gay.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 am

Old Mother wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Do you really think it's the keto and the onnit supplements or is it the TRT?
That's a great question. Do we assume the Stan Efferdings of the world have been on gear for so long, that it became a normal baseline for them long ago? So nowadays, when they tout the effects of diets etc. the drug use doesn't play into it?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 09, 2019 7:27 am

It means you assume that they have no relevance to you and only a window licking NEET would reach so hard for a reason to not eat vegetables.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

terra

Post by terra » Fri May 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Rhonda Patrick did a bit of an explanation of how the meat only diets might be helpful (for a while). I think it was on her podcast
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson