Do you even lift, bro?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Image

It's been a while since this board was functioning (much like your dicks) so let's have some fucking training discussion. What are you doing now, how is it going, what are your current goals, blah blah blah no collusion.

Currently I am in my 3rd 4-week cycle of 5/3/1 Boring But Big. I have pretty much stuck exactly to plan, and then I have been running and swimming in the ocean. The runs are ~2 miles twice a week, and a longer one in the mountains on the weekend, sometimes on the road and sometimes on trails depending on how wet the weather has been.

The main thing that I have been really working on is dialing in my diet, which has always been a weak spot for me. Not so much in eating the wrong foods, but eating and drinking too much is still too much. The cardio actually doesn't produce much hunger, but by the third week of a lifting cycle: hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

What are you limpdicks doing. Make IGX great again. FIGHT ME.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue May 07, 2019 5:57 pm

My old limp dick is still plugging along. I don't miss sessions. Just not heavy anymore. And I work my way up and down the perspective battle. Still training for my sport. At the moment, I'm following a three day lifting protocol; day one, lower body (squats/pulls/abs), upper body (alternating heavy chest with heavy shoulders, back, then arms), then a third day - one hour on treadmill at max incline, followed by med ball speed throws, etc. etc. I also work into two to three days of event training depending upon work; my event sessions are all high intensity and I wave the volume.

Have no real pain anymore. My one shoulder is a bit weak - ironically, I not the one I had fixed two years. I can't bench press over 225 without feeling something in my bicep/subscap tie in - so I don't bench press anymore. Big whoop.

Getting old is kinda fun. And I have less fucks to give.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Why do you do your throws after endurance training?

And what do you do for "heavy chest" if not BP?

Also, why is your momma so fat?
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Tue May 07, 2019 6:28 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:13 pm
Why do you do your throws after endurance training?

And what do you do for "heavy chest" if not BP?

Also, why is your momma so fat?
I also do throws on the upper body day with bouncy med balls to warm up. I do the throws post endurance training because I became a fatty. Got up to 300 last year and have since dropped 40 pounds following this protocol and a very strict life change on eating.

Heavy chest is now limited to shoulder adduction movements - hands crossing center point. I do it with cable cross overs, hammer strength sideways presses at various angles (incline, decline, flat) to put the shoulder in adduction. I can do overheads without any issues. I can do pulls with no issues.

Momma not fat. But I sure was.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Interesting re: throws. I have started doing jumps for my lower body days and throws for my upper body days as part of my warmup. I never in a million years would have done that if Wendler didn't insist, but I'll be damned, they do seem to tune the body for action. I was watching some cool training camp video of Berestov training in Sochi with the Baza Team and they did the exact same things: jogging, jumping, throwing, etc. Basic athletics.

How did you let yourself balloon up so big? I have started weighing myself and taking my blood pressure every day so that if either starts to climb I know right away and adjust. Seems to be working as there's no room to fool myself.

Overhead pressing is way more awesome than bench anyway so no real loss there. I do each just once a week right now.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Ripe Turd » Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:41 pm

It's been a while since this board was functioning (much like your dicks) so let's have some fucking training discussion. What are you doing now, how is it going, what are your current goals, blah blah blah no collusion.
I have a 35h/week desk job. Exercise for me is just for health and fitness, and blow off stress. A family member got diagnosed with cancer recently and still waiting to know a prognosis, but it doesn't look good so far. I don't do any sports. No time for team sports and no cash for individual sports. Meh.

I've been using various 5/3/1 variations for the last months. I started hating it, but realized it's the only program I can stick to, else I just "change program every week". So far the most effective for me has been variations like that :

A/B/A weeks (Jim Wendler uses this for the new "Beginners" program and a few others I think.)

Week A : Bench and squat twice, Press and DL once
Week B : Bench and squat once, Press and DL twice

I respond really well to squats. I suck at upper body lifts.

Right now I'm starting a program he calls "Krypteia" which is a bit different since you superset the main lift with sets of assistance (e.g. Squat/dips or DB incline press, squat/pull-ups or DB bench rows, etc.). It's more "cardio" and my training is over in about 30 minutes, which is why I wanted to try it.

I'm thinking of starting hiking more (which isn't easy since I live in a city with no mountains). Purchased a backpack and will start rucking in the city a few times a week (I already do all things walking, no car). Then I'll see if I buy "essential" stuff for (multi)day trips (first aid kit, etc.).

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 am

Ripe Turd, before we get into the direct insults, can you tell me if you had a prior login name? I can't remember who the fuck is who anymore.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7817
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by johno » Wed May 08, 2019 5:07 am

For starters, you are "FatCat."
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

machinehead
Corporal
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by machinehead » Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Currently it's all maintenance with no clear goal in mind. I think a lot of people get into "fitness" on the advice of their doctors who say "get some exercise", so they go to a gym and if they talk to a trainer, they'll ask "what is your goal", to which the response is "I didn't realize I needed one other than I need some exercise"...

but I digress.

I saw a Pavel inspired routine I'm kind of hybridizing at the moment which is swings for 10 sets of 7 EMOM, then some free hand squats totaling 250. This is day one. Day two is single kettlebell overhead press (5,4,3,2,1 alternating) followed by ab wheel rollouts. The 5,4,3,2,1 cluster is one "set" -- I do this for 3 sets once every 5 minutes. Here's the complete official breakdown, plagiarized from a synopsis on the strongfirst forum (although I'm just following the 3 sets of presses with rollouts one day and swings/squats the second day as I thrive on repetitive boredom):

"Basically it's 6 days a week, alternating between swing days and press/pullup superset days, with a wavy load. Swings start at 10x7, add 3 sets every other day, and restart the next week at the 2nd day of the week before. Press/Pull supersets are 8 minutes long and I don't know how to summarize their progression.

DIRECTIONS
A - Kettlebell Swings
Each Swing workout starts with 3x5 Goblet Squats, 60s rest.
Swings are seven reps per minute for the prescribed number of sets. Seven swings will take about 10 seconds; rest for the remainder of the time.

B - Kettlebell Presses and Pullups
Set a timer to beep every 8min. When it beeps, start your press set. Clean a 6-8RM kettlebell once and press it 5 times with your left. Drop, switch hands, clean with your right, and do your 5 presses. Without setting the kettlebell down, keep switching hands and counting down the reps: 5-4-3-2-1. This was one set.

Walk around for a couple of minutes, and do the pullups in the same descending rep ladder of 5-4-3-2-1. When the timer beeps, hit your presses again.

Formatting will get screwy when I copy/paste, so I won't label exercises, but should be obvious by A/B as well as format of either ?x7 EMOM for swings or say 3x(5,4,3,2,1) for 3 ladders of 5 rungs. I'm leaving out the Goblet Squats because they are always 3x5

Day 1 A 10x7 EMOM
Day 2 B 3x(5,4,3,2,1)
Day 3 A 13x7 EMOM
Day 4 B 2x(5,4,3,2,1)
Day 5 A 16x7 EMOM
Day 6 B 3x(5,3,2)
Day 7 rest

Day 8 A 13x7 EMOM
Day 9 B 4x(5,4,3,2,1)
Day 10 A 16x7 EMOM
Day 11 B 2x(5,4,3,2,1)
Day 12 A 19x7 EMOM
Day 13 B 4x(5,3,2)
Day 14 rest

Day 15 A 16x7 EMOM
Day 16 B 2x(6,5,4,3,2,1)
Day 17 A 19x7 EMOM
Day 18 B 1x(6,5,4,3,2,1)
Day 19 A 22x7 EMOM
Day 20 B 2x(6,4,2)
Day 21 rest

Day 22 A 19x7 EMOM
Day 23 B 3x(6,5,4,3,2)
Day 24 A 22x7 EMOM
Day 25 B 1x(6,5,4,3,2,1)
Day 26 A 25x7 EMOM
Day 27 B 3x(6,4,2)
Day 28 rest

Day 29 A 20x7 EMOM
Day 30 B 2x(6,4,2)
Day 31 A 10x7 EMOM
Day 32 B 1x(6,4,2)
Day 33 is test day
3 sets of swings to failure, rest as needed
another set of swings to failure, rest as needed
a set of presses to failure rest as needed
a set of pullups to failure rest as needed
Day 34 is to test some other event you've already done to see improvement."

I also toss in some isometrics using a towel for lateral raises, a chest squeeze thing using a couple of books and a pulldown kind of idea where I kneel before a countertop with elbows resting on it and press down for a 100% intensity effort for 20 seconds.

On a side note, what's the opinion on isometrics? 6 second 100% holds every day? 30 seconds at 50%, 30 seconds at 75% 30 seconds at 100% every other day? Anyone try them with any success in the way of size or strength gains?

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm

How did you let yourself balloon up so big? I have started weighing myself and taking my blood pressure every day so that if either starts to climb I know right away and adjust. Seems to be working as there's no room to fool myself.



sincerely, I got lost in the weight room. Kept on lifting heavier and heavier and heavier. Kept on having minor injuries. Recovering from it, and progressing. Justified my over eating to recover and get stronger. My bodyfat got up to about mid 20s. Still had visible abs. Very flooded but still visible. Had a scare at one of my events - an endurance based event - lost about 30 minutes of my life after doing back to back endurance races. Made a life decision to drop weight even if it was muscle. I've leaned out a good deal. Lost 10" off my waist thus far. I'm using a tight belt for the first time in my life; trying to train my waist to be smaller. Still have a decent power belly though \:D/
Last edited by Really Big Strong Guy on Wed May 08, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8427
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Shapecharge » Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Mak, my horny brother, I normally avoid topics like this but you're catching me in a transitional moment so I'll tangle with you. Since I moved into my sixth decade (I'm 61) things aren't the same anymore...but they're close. From an overall fitness standpoint i.e. limit strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular strength/endurance and mobility/flexibility I am perhaps as fit now as I've ever been but the parameters have changed. My limit strength and muscular endurance are better than in my younger years however my ability to run for distance is not nearly the same. Flexibility/mobility relatively unchanged. But, oddly my rowing strength and endurance is right now the best it's ever been. Up into my 40's I could step out the door cold and run a sub 20 minute 5K but I could barely bench my bodyweight. Now, I doubt I could break 24 minutes in a 5K but benching my bodyweight for reps is not a struggle.

I don't think I'm saying anything too weird here but for me now at this age I am even more aware of a symbiotic relationship between my physical self and capabilities and my mental health or maybe better stated, positive self image. If I've been fucking around too much drinking, staying up late, fucking off and eating shitty, I'll go into a little private tailspin...nothing too outlandish but I recognize it. So knowing this I try to keep it together by doing something other than nothing, most of the time. I wave intensity based primarily on how I feel and what I want to do and what I did the "last" time for that particular workout. I'm a big fan of mashing up things...e.g. upper body workout followed by cardio. Or cardio followed by bodyweight work. I try to be efficient and no fucking around with the phone, talking to people etc.

Cardio centers around running, rucking, biking, and rowing. I'm most fond of rowing. Frankly, I'm drawn to the discomfort...the managing of pain. Also, it's extremely efficient and I recover wonderfully from it. I do everything from short sprints e.g. 500-1000 meter repeats, intermediate repeat pieces in the 1500-2000 meter range and simple endurance work in the 8-10k range or a 1 hour row. Rucking is another staple. I use a pack and 45 pounds and I'll do no less than 3 miles up to 5 miles. For awhile I was mildly obsessed with breaking 5 miles in a hour and I got close but what did I get from that other than a little left hip drama? Nothing. I like rucking because I can get in some great steady state cardio after any type of lifting which can be a struggle. Nobody wants to run after squatting. I still run but not as much as I used to and I'm marginally irritated since I'm painfully reminded of my lost abilities. Also, I just don't recover from it like I used to. The bike I also love but I won't ride unless I have at least an hour and a half to do it and the weather is right. Oh, I also have that device called "the Tank" that I went in on with a buddy and I'll push that around in the street like an idiot and it's good to do after lifting.

Weight training and bodyweight work centers around the typical stuff everyone does but I'm more fond of full-body work now rather than a split program. I have also shifted away from working towards limit strength and am more rep focused. I mash up all the usual suspects e.g. flat bench, pullups, overhead press, some form of bent rowing, squat, GHR's. deadlifting (occasionally) and trapbar deads. Also do some arm work and midsection...all the usual stuff.

A typical week for me would consist of two weight workouts and three cardio workouts. As I said I'll wave these depending on how I'll feel and what I did the last time. Sometimes I'll get in a little groove and focus more on something like rowing to push through a sticking point. If I'm feeling particularly frisky I'll do an upper body workout and mash that up with some rowing afterwards...like 1k repeats at a sustainable pace for say 5 pieces. If I've missed a few workouts or I'm feeling sorry for myself, I'll run 3-4 miles and come back and crank out pushups, pullups, dips, and bodyweight squats.

My overall goals are to simply keep moving forward, incremental improvements, and don't get hurt.

User avatar
Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 22021
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Focusing on yoga right now with a 1 day a week Escalating Density 20 minute session of TBDL superset with DB Curl and Press. And still mountain biking as much as possible. I throw in abs and back/rear delt stuff when possible.

My goals are to be as flexible and mobile as possible with enough strength to do what I need to do. I just want to feel good and stay physically young as long as possible. And I love riding trails and being in the woods so much.

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Wed May 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Shapecharge wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Mak, my horny brother, I normally avoid topics like this but you're catching me in a transitional moment so I'll tangle with you. Since I moved into my sixth decade (I'm 61) things aren't the same anymore...but they're close. From an overall fitness standpoint i.e. limit strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular strength/endurance and mobility/flexibility I am perhaps as fit now as I've ever been but the parameters have changed. My limit strength and muscular endurance are better than in my younger years however my ability to run for distance is not nearly the same. Flexibility/mobility relatively unchanged. But, oddly my rowing strength and endurance is right now the best it's ever been. Up into my 40's I could step out the door cold and run a sub 20 minute 5K but I could barely bench my bodyweight. Now, I doubt I could break 24 minutes in a 5K but benching my bodyweight for reps is not a struggle.

I don't think I'm saying anything too weird here but for me now at this age I am even more aware of a symbiotic relationship between my physical self and capabilities and my mental health or maybe better stated, positive self image. If I've been fucking around too much drinking, staying up late, fucking off and eating shitty, I'll go into a little private tailspin...nothing too outlandish but I recognize it. So knowing this I try to keep it together by doing something other than nothing, most of the time. I wave intensity based primarily on how I feel and what I want to do and what I did the "last" time for that particular workout. I'm a big fan of mashing up things...e.g. upper body workout followed by cardio. Or cardio followed by bodyweight work. I try to be efficient and no fucking around with the phone, talking to people etc.

Cardio centers around running, rucking, biking, and rowing. I'm most fond of rowing. Frankly, I'm drawn to the discomfort...the managing of pain. Also, it's extremely efficient and I recover wonderfully from it. I do everything from short sprints e.g. 500-1000 meter repeats, intermediate repeat pieces in the 1500-2000 meter range and simple endurance work in the 8-10k range or a 1 hour row. Rucking is another staple. I use a pack and 45 pounds and I'll do no less than 3 miles up to 5 miles. For awhile I was mildly obsessed with breaking 5 miles in a hour and I got close but what did I get from that other than a little left hip drama? Nothing. I like rucking because I can get in some great steady state cardio after any type of lifting which can be a struggle. Nobody wants to run after squatting. I still run but not as much as I used to and I'm marginally irritated since I'm painfully reminded of my lost abilities. Also, I just don't recover from it like I used to. The bike I also love but I won't ride unless I have at least an hour and a half to do it and the weather is right. Oh, I also have that device called "the Tank" that I went in on with a buddy and I'll push that around in the street like an idiot and it's good to do after lifting.

Weight training and bodyweight work centers around the typical stuff everyone does but I'm more fond of full-body work now rather than a split program. I have also shifted away from working towards limit strength and am more rep focused. I mash up all the usual suspects e.g. flat bench, pullups, overhead press, some form of bent rowing, squat, GHR's. deadlifting (occasionally) and trapbar deads. Also do some arm work and midsection...all the usual stuff.

A typical week for me would consist of two weight workouts and three cardio workouts. As I said I'll wave these depending on how I'll feel and what I did the last time. Sometimes I'll get in a little groove and focus more on something like rowing to push through a sticking point. If I'm feeling particularly frisky I'll do an upper body workout and mash that up with some rowing afterwards...like 1k repeats at a sustainable pace for say 5 pieces. If I've missed a few workouts or I'm feeling sorry for myself, I'll run 3-4 miles and come back and crank out pushups, pullups, dips, and bodyweight squats.

My overall goals are to simply keep moving forward, incremental improvements, and don't get hurt.
But you know we want to hear about the camping trips.........
Last edited by Really Big Strong Guy on Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 pm

johno wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:07 am
For starters, you are "FatCat."
Image
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Wed May 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:12 pm
Focusing on yoga right now with a 1 day a week Escalating Density 20 minute session of TBDL superset with DB Curl and Press. And still mountain biking as much as possible. I throw in abs and back/rear delt stuff when possible.

My goals are to be as flexible and mobile as possible with enough strength to do what I need to do. I just want to feel good and stay physically young as long as possible. And I love riding trails and being in the woods so much.
my fat ass is still doing yoga and tai chi daily. Both before and after strength training sessions. Ironically, I don't do them before my event training sessions. Instead I rely upon GPP or actual work to get myself warm - cleaning up my training area, lugging and peeling logs, setting up the logs, splitting wood, etc. It's consistent with what I do the day of competition days. The only difference is I actually do a version of suns salutation after I've done al that GPP stuff on comp days. And that's more to relieve my pre-comp anxiety than it is anything physical. Actually, I haven't done at all since the amount of fucks I have to give has lessened. There may be some upside to aging.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Really Big Strong Guy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm
How did you let yourself balloon up so big? I have started weighing myself and taking my blood pressure every day so that if either starts to climb I know right away and adjust. Seems to be working as there's no room to fool myself.



sincerely, I got lost in the weight room. Kept on lifting heavier and heavier and heavier. Kept on having minor injuries. Recovering from it, and progressing. Justified my over eating to recover and get stronger. My bodyfat got up to about mid 20s. Still had visible abs. Very flooded but still visible. Had a scare at one of my events - an endurance based event - lost about 30 minutes of my life after doing back to back endurance races. Made a life decision to drop weight even if it was muscle. I've leaned out a good deal. Lost 10" off my waist thus far. I'm using a tight belt for the first time in my life; trying to train my waist to be smaller. Still have a decent power belly though \:D/
Good for you on trimming down. You're obviously a serious athlete but 300 is just too big for anything good.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm

machinehead wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm
On a side note, what's the opinion on isometrics? 6 second 100% holds every day? 30 seconds at 50%, 30 seconds at 75% 30 seconds at 100% every other day? Anyone try them with any success in the way of size or strength gains?
I always thought isometrics were bullshit and even if they weren't sounded boring as hell. I know Maxwell is all hard on for them now, but I assumed that's because he's selling something and his options are limited when he's living out of his backpack.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Wed May 08, 2019 7:16 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:45 pm
[
Good for you on trimming down. You're obviously a serious athlete but 300 is just too big for anything good.
You are so right about that. It was too much. it was so too much. My goal is to get to 250. Same weight I was when I got my MBA 27 years ago. :supz:
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm

How tall are you bruh?
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5594
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Bram » Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 am

Discussion and you can log-in/load screens quickly. Hmm, nice change.

----

Right now, 3 day split

Lower Body - various low body stabilizers + squats, lunges, calves, hamstrings, hip extension

Upper Body - chins, bench or push-ups, rows, abs, obliques + arms or shoulders (optionally), upper back stabilizers

Full-Body - dynamic warm-up, followed by plyometrics or isometrics or a power version of some upper body, core, lower body stuff + a couple extra stabilizers

If I have the inclination, I can repeat any of the above for extra credit, but I would modify them slightly

Surfing a ton, meditating a nominal amount.

I'm fucking with my routines constantly (more sets, less sets, what the order is), but the lower body one seems dialed in and my numbers are going up on all 3 workouts. Surfing is good. Working on some mental stuff to help my surfing focus, but the mental progress is glacial.
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:19 am

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Luke » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 am

I'm having fun with "Breakdowns" as explained by Josh Bryant who got them from Fred Hatfield.

- Work up to a heavy set of 4-6
- Reduce starting weight by 15-20% for 10-15 reps
- Cut starting weight by half and then aim for 20-30 reps.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38152
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 09, 2019 7:24 am

This was the 666th topic in this forum. Pride never die!
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8427
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 pm

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Shapecharge » Thu May 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Luke wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 am
I'm having fun with "Breakdowns" as explained by Josh Bryant who got them from Fred Hatfield.

- Work up to a heavy set of 4-6
- Reduce starting weight by 15-20% for 10-15 reps
- Cut starting weight by half and then aim for 20-30 reps.
Very interesting!

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Thu May 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm
How tall are you bruh?
5'10" But I'm pretty certain I have an over abundance of Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal in my genetic history. Size 14 shoe. 8" wrists. Could palm a basketball before getting into middle school. My arm span is 8" wider than my height - extra long arms. Woulda been nice to have an aesthetic physique, but that sure AF didn't happen. Just something that looks like it could do heavy manual labor. :-({|=
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

User avatar
Really Big Strong Guy
Top
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 pm
Location: Doesn't matter

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Luke wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 am
I'm having fun with "Breakdowns" as explained by Josh Bryant who got them from Fred Hatfield.

- Work up to a heavy set of 4-6
- Reduce starting weight by 15-20% for 10-15 reps
- Cut starting weight by half and then aim for 20-30 reps.
that sounds like both hell and fun. My kinda silliness.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Post Reply