Do you even lift, bro?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice

Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by dingleberry » Thu May 09, 2019 4:47 pm

I've been following the programs from Rob Shaul at Mountain Tactical. He has a series for over 45 year olds. The plans are 7 wee eks long and relatively cheap. They are varied in exercise selection and contain strength and endurance stuff. I've also started playing indoor soccer once a week.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Fri May 10, 2019 1:26 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 am
Ripe Turd, before we get into the direct insults, can you tell me if you had a prior login name? I can't remember who the fuck is who anymore.
Well, yes I had, but eventually changed it not to get fucked with IRL. :axe:

terra

Post by terra » Fri May 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:41 pm
Currently I am in my 3rd 4-week cycle of 5/3/1 Boring But Big. I have pretty much stuck exactly to plan, and then I have been running and swimming in the ocean.
Pretty much what I was doing.
How are you finding the 531 BBB?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 pm

I read the article that Luke mentioned. I did a version of this last night with the viking/landmine press and the wife jumped in too. I didn't quite do it the way it was laid out but I steadily ramped up the weight and after my final heavy set went back to my original starting weight and went to failure. The wife was cracking me up though because she was giving me a little bit of that bro encouragement, YOU GOT THIS...ONE MORE.

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Shapecharge wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 pm
I read the article that Luke mentioned. I did a version of this last night with the viking/landmine press and the wife jumped in too. I didn't quite do it the way it was laid out but I steadily ramped up the weight and after my final heavy set went back to my original starting weight and went to failure. The wife was cracking me up though because she was giving me a little bit of that bro encouragement, YOU GOT THIS...ONE MORE.
Oh that's mint. I'm gotten to that stage in life where a good meal is preferable to sex....a dear country mountain man of a friend referenced a "good bowlla beans" when equating post 50 years of age coitus. However, under those circumstances I believe the appropriate response would have been "damn right baby, you're gonna get one more too."
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri May 10, 2019 2:35 pm

RBSG...the wife wanted us to do one workout a week together of my choosing. She does some Orange Theory a few times a week and some yoga. We do this on Thursdays and we've only missed about four of these since the first of the year. I don't fuck around...I make her bench, overhead press, squat, pullups (assisted) and some type of bent rowing. I also get her ass on the Concept2. Last night we did the viking press supersetted with pullups and some midsection work afterwards. She's made noticeable improvement. It's been a cool thing for us to do together. She further cracked me up by showing me her first "vein" in her shoulder. She was absolutely giddy so that's a good thing. She's been a real trooper and I actually enjoy working out with her.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm

As I confront the reality I am probably not going to compete again, probably, the intersection of a new lifestyle from job to interests with a focus on injury avoidance, long term health, and looking good nekkid, my training is different than in the past but has elements of the old foremost, with added improvements in both lifting assistance work, reps ranges, volume, and an introduction of conditioning.

Since I travel a lot for work, my baseline is my garage gym. I do box squats, fat bar bench, deadlifts from a deficit, and a ton of pull-ups along with rotating arm work. I do a lot of bands for external rotation.

When I travel I do a lot of incline treadmill, occlusion arm work, and walk around a lot of cities.

What has disappeared is heavy, low rep, close to max effort work. My reps per set and volume has gone up.

What has been added is the high doses of pull-ups and chin-ups, direct arm work mostly occluded, some specific stretching and mobility and half yoga ball ab work, rucking, skipping meals, belt squats, and across the board increases in volume over intensity.

Most folks looking in my garage gym comment on how heavy I lift. My neighbors, friends, and family ask why am I still going that heavy. Well those weights are relative and I am doing 5-7 reps with 6-8 RPE weights.

Weight is dropping despite not “dieting”. I am not turning down a few cocktails, a great dessert, or a splurge, but I only do that for stuff I really like. Life is too short short to eat or drink anything I do not love. Rather go hungry than eat crap I don’t like.

Doing what I like and want more than what I need to compete at the table and in the gym.

My cycles have gone from very concentrated loading of 3 on 1 off to 5-6 week distributed loading and hitting a back off by feel or when work or life dictates it.

I have a metal hip, a bad eye, and a lot of wear and tear. But I have a life I enjoy and I have some goals to hit in the next 2.5 years before I hit 60.Then I am planning on transitioning even more to health first. Which means even maybe getting below 200lbs. I am under 220 now. From my 240 competition days.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 10, 2019 6:11 pm

terra wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Currently I am in my 3rd 4-week cycle of 5/3/1 Boring But Big. I have pretty much stuck exactly to plan, and then I have been running and swimming in the ocean.
Well I'm finishing up the third month-long cycle next week and I like it a lot. It solves a lot of problems for me: simple programming, reliable progress, lots of reps in sub-maximal territory, focused on basic multi-joint movements, and I always know exactly what I have to do when I walk into the (home) gym. I also try to do the whole enchilada, which includes the throwing, jumping, running, etc. That plus a couple of swims at the beach and a hike in the mountains and I stay stoked. I hit 5 x 5 on ring chins the other day and pretty much spent the rest of the day flexing in the mirror.

That said, having done three cycles of BBB, I will probably switch to a different template for the summah. I'm looking at various choices and thinking about where I want to be come fall: (i) bodyweight assistance; (ii) bodybuilding template; and (iii) power clean 6-week cycle from Beyond 5/3/1. They all still focus on the four main lifts, so it's just variation in assistance to keep things interesting.
Last edited by Fat Cat on Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Shapecharge wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:35 pm
RBSG...the wife wanted us to do one workout a week together of my choosing. She does some Orange Theory a few times a week and some yoga. We do this on Thursdays and we've only missed about four of these since the first of the year. I don't fuck around...I make her bench, overhead press, squat, pullups (assisted) and some type of bent rowing. I also get her ass on the Concept2. Last night we did the viking press supersetted with pullups and some midsection work afterwards. She's made noticeable improvement. It's been a cool thing for us to do together. She further cracked me up by showing me her first "vein" in her shoulder. She was absolutely giddy so that's a good thing. She's been a real trooper and I actually enjoy working out with her.
You left out the part where you bend her over the C2 for some sweaty post-workout HIIT fuckin'. Inshallah I will kill a puppy every hour until you address this.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri May 10, 2019 9:54 pm

I’m finally getting my motivation back to take powerlifting seriously again after having our first kid a couple of years ago. Lifting 3-4 times a week;

Main lifts work on a 3 week cycle, volume decreasing, intensity increasing weekly. For example squats:

- Week One: 140kg x 6,6,6
- Week Two: 145kg x 5,5,5
- Week Three: 150kg x 4,4,4
- Week Four: 145kg x 6,6,6 etc.

My week tends to look something like:

Session One:
Squats: Heavy Single, followed by 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,5
Pause Squats: 5,5,5/4,4,4/3,3,3
Bench: 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,4
Leg Extensions: 12,12,12

Session Two:
Bench: Heavy triple, followed by 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,4
Squats: 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,4
Incline Dumbbells: 12,12,12
Weighted dips: 12,12,12

Session Three:
Deadlift: Heavy single, followed by 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,4
SLDL: 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,4
Bench: 6,6,6/5,5,5/4,4,4
Lat Pulldowns: 12,12,12

I’ve only been back into it since the start of the year, so numbers have a long way to go but broadly back to 405/315/530.

Heavier than I used to be. Trending around 220 at 5’8”. Could really do with dropping some chub.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sat May 11, 2019 11:23 am

I did 5/3/1 for a couple of years. Favorite templates were first set last and Full Body. Boring But Big was a little too much Deadlift volume.

Currently doing The Long Haul from More Kettlebell Muscle, 3x a week and going to the gym to do chest and back 2x a week. Throw in a 3 mile run a couple of times a week.

DIet is the enemy, though hanging around 190ish at 6 feet isn't bad. Need to get my cholesterol down before my doctor sticks me on statins.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 pm

No real plan. I'm mostly phoning it in for weights. I am doing some regular type cardio

BASELINE CARDIO - 7 days a week.
I do 3-5 miles of slower rucking with the dog, think 17 minute per mile pace. I'm trying to get that lower, but not having that much luck. Use a 20 and a 30 lb pack. This has almost a tonic effect on me. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and I've gotten dramatic results in 1) Resting heart rate from 54ish to 49ish 2)HRV measurements...they are almost always high and 3) Blood pressure normalization, always comes with cardio.

I can't attribute them to rucking being magical, I attribute it to the hour+ duration of the walks. My heart rate doesn't rise over 103-105 during these rucks. If I feel beat up I will drop the pack and just walk the dog.

OTHER CARDIO
Like Shape, I do like rowing. I'm shitty at it. It's mind numbing, but I've gotten to a (barely) sub 20 minute 5k. I also have a concept 2 skierg in my garage, along with an Airdyne pro. Tom Furman wrote about the "Ultimate Aerobic Protocol" in one of his books, and I will do a version of that using all three pieces for about an hour, using 5 minute rotations on each piece. I keep my heart rate between 130-150 on this stuff.

I will the occasional single piece workout. These are usually 20-25 minutes in duration, with the Concept 2 stuff, it's usually a 5k, with the airdyne it's just 25 minutes of riding.

I'm about ready to start cycling intervals back into the mix, as I feel I've gotten a solid baseline now. For the C2 pieces, it's 2:00 intervals with 2:00 rest in between at a pace that takes both physical and mental work to sustain...right now it's sub 2:00/500m on the rowerg, and it's sub 2:20/500m on the ski erg. With the airdyne it's either 10 minutes of 45 seconds cruise/15 seconds blast, or it's an effort at total calories in 10:00.

RESISTANCE SHIT

Right now I run 2 full day body sessions, no real planned progression or even planned exercises except one day is a squat and overhead type day, and one day is like a pull and horizontal press day, with some variation of bent over rowing on each day. Weights are pretty light currently...I've really got to come up with something better and progressive here, since it's not really getting the job done

Quick edit, because Hanglow Joe mentioned it. Bloodwork is good, except triglycerides...at my T levels were normal for a 50 year old guy and I couldn't talk my doctor to putting me on extra

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 pm

531 Forever has some interesting variations in it, Fat Cat, and is a worthwhile read.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat May 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Bodyweight stuff for me for the past 6 months. Skills: working on handstand, back lever and planche, then doing volume. Goals are to be the swollest dad on the school run and impress my daughter with a handstand in the garden. Also pass my annual fitness test and beat the new recruits.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun May 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 pm
531 Forever has some interesting variations in it, Fat Cat, and is a worthwhile read.
Thanks Shaf, I have it but have not put it to the test yet. I wanted to absorb the basic idea for a while before I tried any of its evolutions.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:23 am
I did 5/3/1 for a couple of years. Favorite templates were first set last and Full Body. Boring But Big was a little too much Deadlift volume.

Currently doing The Long Haul from More Kettlebell Muscle, 3x a week and going to the gym to do chest and back 2x a week. Throw in a 3 mile run a couple of times a week.

DIet is the enemy, though hanging around 190ish at 6 feet isn't bad. Need to get my cholesterol down before my doctor sticks me on statins.
BBB is definitely waaaay too much deadlift volume for anybody but a beginner, but I think he's pretty upfront about that. I remember the first or second time through, I actually laid down and took a nap afterward. I've had workouts with like 90+ deadlifts in them, and my back was sore for days. But, I like BBB as a way to get back into barbell training because it forces you to do lots of reps with 50-70% of training max so you get practice and get some barbell-specific conditioning. After three months I am ready for a change of assistance, tho.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Tue May 14, 2019 1:11 am

Shapecharge wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 pm
That's hilarious. For some extra nuttiness, sometimes on the really light set - of Military Presses for example - I use the Spud Inc. Stump Straps which displace the weight plates (similar to a banded KB/DB setup) to make it a bit harder & wholistically better for me i.e. working stabilizers/core etc. and go for less reps than the 25-30.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 pm
BASELINE CARDIO - 7 days a week.
I do 3-5 miles of slower rucking with the dog, think 17 minute per mile pace. I'm trying to get that lower, but not having that much luck. Use a 20 and a 30 lb pack. This has almost a tonic effect on me. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and I've gotten dramatic results in 1) Resting heart rate from 54ish to 49ish 2)HRV measurements...they are almost always high and 3) Blood pressure normalization, always comes with cardio.

I can't attribute them to rucking being magical, I attribute it to the hour+ duration of the walks. My heart rate doesn't rise over 103-105 during these rucks. If I feel beat up I will drop the pack and just walk the dog.
I've had similar results (not doing it as often as you though) when I ruck-- I don't really see any need to go faster.

I recently read Cal Newport's 'Digital Minimalism' (major points I took away from the book-- cut out the digital distractions if you want to be creative and productive; a little boredom can help with creativity; and that regular easy LSD cardio really helps). It made a lot of sense and meshes well this kind of plan.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 am

Over the course of about a week (6-8 days) I do 2 cardio sessions, almost always a 5k with a ski erg. I often do about 40-50 chin ups on those days, and sometimes dips.
Four days of lifting. More or less like so:
Log press/CGBP, box squat/RDL, axle bench press/incline press (dumbbells or axle), TBDL
On the press days, I’ll do rows, facepulls, arms, and abs
On the legs days, sled drags, farmers carries, or heavy kettlebell swings. Sometimes step ups or lunge squats
I also need a minimum of prehabby physical therapy work on leg days
Being a big city guy, I walk an average of 5 miles a day
I still threaten, from time to time, to clean up my diet
Almost two years after knee surgery, I’m still trying to rebuild my right quad, and tomorrow I’ll be calling the orthopedic surgeon to make an appointment to have my baker’s cyst aspirated for the third time since having it removed
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

terra

Post by terra » Wed May 22, 2019 4:21 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:11 pm
terra wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Well I'm finishing up the third month-long cycle next week and I like it a lot. It solves a lot of problems for me: simple programming, reliable progress, lots of reps in sub-maximal territory, focused on basic multi-joint movements, and I always know exactly what I have to do when I walk into the (home) gym. I also try to do the whole enchilada, which includes the throwing, jumping, running, etc. That plus a couple of swims at the beach and a hike in the mountains and I stay stoked. I hit 5 x 5 on ring chins the other day and pretty much spent the rest of the day flexing in the mirror.

That said, having done three cycles of BBB, I will probably switch to a different template for the summah. I'm looking at various choices and thinking about where I want to be come fall: (i) bodyweight assistance; (ii) bodybuilding template; and (iii) power clean 6-week cycle from Beyond 5/3/1. They all still focus on the four main lifts, so it's just variation in assistance to keep things interesting.

Thanks for the reply Fatcat.
Really sounds similar to my experience with it. Including the swimming and running.

But the differences were, I was applying his updated template from the second 531 book. This is where you do the 3 week 531 template twice, back-to-back (with a slight increase in training max IF you hit all your minimums), THEN you do the back off week on the 7th week. Week 8 sees you start the whole7 weeks over again with an adjusted training max etc.

Also, I had access to a really good gym set-up (whilst no one else was using it) which meant being able to set up multiple 'stations'.
This led to me modifying the BBB template thus:
3 days a week.
2 (antagonistic) exercises on each day, 'super setting' (so to speak) back and forth to help compress training time without overloading my system.
Monday - Deadlift and Benchpress
Wednesday - Powerclean and Shoulderpress (as 2 separate exercises, with different bars/loads)
Friday - Backsquats and Weighted Chinups
All basic 531, with BBB volume work.

I made an Excel spreadsheet that calculated everything for the next 3 weeks (including the weight added to the Chin-ups). So, as with your experience, it was plug-and-play. Simply walk in, set up the stations and go.

Also similar to your experience, after doing that 7 week cycle 3 times, it was plateauing and felt like time to shift focus for a month.
An interruption meant that didn't happen, but my plan was to do a more strength focused 3 weeks of wave loading Shaf Ladders (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3). Then come back to 531, test a new Training Maxes and see how many more cycles I could get before it leveled out again. After that I would probably have mandated a heavy kettlebell cycle (heavy for me), using unilateral exercises to integrate/temper the previous progress into more real world athleticism.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Terra, that sounds like a very fun way to do things. Good exercise selection and pairings too, although I am a long way from being able to do that many chin ups.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat May 25, 2019 3:28 am

I find it hard to do any meaningful volume of lifting on top of four sessions of BJJ a week. For now I have stuck to deadlift singles several times a week,
A + A kettle bell stuff when I can and pull-ups. At my level I do use considerable strength in my wrestling, and this little extra seems to keep me a little stronger.

terra

Post by terra » Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:28 am
I find it hard to do any meaningful volume of lifting on top of four sessions of BJJ a week. For now I have stuck to deadlift singles several times a week,
A + A kettle bell stuff when I can and pull-ups. At my level I do use considerable strength in my wrestling, and this little extra seems to keep me a little stronger.
Same here. That 531 wasn’t happening in conjunction with any real BJJ training effort. I was only going once a week, just to stay in touch and have a roll.

Fat Cat wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm
BBB is definitely waaaay too much deadlift volume for anybody but a beginner.
I found it ok. But I also used to do a modified version of Pavels BEAR program against the clock:
5RM @100%, then 5RM @ 90%, then up to 70 reps at about 75% in 15 minutes (in 5 rep sets).
So I kind of trained to do a lot of DL volume over the years.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Mon May 27, 2019 12:22 am

terra wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 pm
Sangoma wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:28 am
Same here. That 531 wasn’t happening in conjunction with any real BJJ training effort. I was only going once a week, just to stay in touch and have a roll.

Fat Cat wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm
BBB is definitely waaaay too much deadlift volume for anybody but a beginner.
I found it ok. But I also used to do a modified version of Pavels BEAR program against the clock:
5RM @100%, then 5RM @ 90%, then up to 70 reps at about 75% in 15 minutes (in 5 rep sets).
So I kind of trained to do a lot of DL volume over the years.
My god, that is insane volume. How old are you? I'm 54. I recently ditched the 50/20 deadlifts for 4 or 5 sets to failure with the same weight - so now instead of sets of 7 to 50, I'm doing something like 13, 10, 8, 5 and quitting around 30-35 total reps.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 am

And that is with about 75% of max.