Re: Do you even lift, bro?

Post by terra » Mon May 27, 2019 10:09 am

dkay wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:22 am
terra wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 pm
Sangoma wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:28 am
I find it hard to do any meaningful volume of lifting on top of four sessions of BJJ a week. For now I have stuck to deadlift singles several times a week,
A + A kettle bell stuff when I can and pull-ups. At my level I do use considerable strength in my wrestling, and this little extra seems to keep me a little stronger.
Same here. That 531 wasn’t happening in conjunction with any real BJJ training effort. I was only going once a week, just to stay in touch and have a roll.

Fat Cat wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm
BBB is definitely waaaay too much deadlift volume for anybody but a beginner.
I found it ok. But I also used to do a modified version of Pavels BEAR program against the clock:
5RM @100%, then 5RM @ 90%, then up to 70 reps at about 75% in 15 minutes (in 5 rep sets).
So I kind of trained to do a lot of DL volume over the years.
My god, that is insane volume. How old are you? I'm 54. I recently ditched the 50/20 deadlifts for 4 or 5 sets to failure with the same weight - so now instead of sets of 7 to 50, I'm doing something like 13, 10, 8, 5 and quitting around 30-35 total reps.
Early to mid 40s when I was doing that modified BEAR, but the 531 BBB as mentioned in my earlier post was about 12 months ago at 47 years old.
Those 70 rep deadlifts were with 100kg, not a huge load. Although I’m only a little bloke at 61-64kg, so it was substantial for me.

That sort of training against the clock seems to be the only thing that works for me.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:45 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 pm
No real plan. I'm mostly phoning it in for weights. I am doing some regular type cardio

BASELINE CARDIO - 7 days a week.
I do 3-5 miles of slower rucking with the dog, think 17 minute per mile pace. I'm trying to get that lower, but not having that much luck. Use a 20 and a 30 lb pack. This has almost a tonic effect on me. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and I've gotten dramatic results in 1) Resting heart rate from 54ish to 49ish 2)HRV measurements...they are almost always high and 3) Blood pressure normalization, always comes with cardio.

I can't attribute them to rucking being magical, I attribute it to the hour+ duration of the walks. My heart rate doesn't rise over 103-105 during these rucks. If I feel beat up I will drop the pack and just walk the dog.

OTHER CARDIO
Like Shape, I do like rowing. I'm shitty at it. It's mind numbing, but I've gotten to a (barely) sub 20 minute 5k. I also have a concept 2 skierg in my garage, along with an Airdyne pro. Tom Furman wrote about the "Ultimate Aerobic Protocol" in one of his books, and I will do a version of that using all three pieces for about an hour, using 5 minute rotations on each piece. I keep my heart rate between 130-150 on this stuff.

I will the occasional single piece workout. These are usually 20-25 minutes in duration, with the Concept 2 stuff, it's usually a 5k, with the airdyne it's just 25 minutes of riding.

I'm about ready to start cycling intervals back into the mix, as I feel I've gotten a solid baseline now. For the C2 pieces, it's 2:00 intervals with 2:00 rest in between at a pace that takes both physical and mental work to sustain...right now it's sub 2:00/500m on the rowerg, and it's sub 2:20/500m on the ski erg. With the airdyne it's either 10 minutes of 45 seconds cruise/15 seconds blast, or it's an effort at total calories in 10:00.

RESISTANCE SHIT

Right now I run 2 full day body sessions, no real planned progression or even planned exercises except one day is a squat and overhead type day, and one day is like a pull and horizontal press day, with some variation of bent over rowing on each day. Weights are pretty light currently...I've really got to come up with something better and progressive here, since it's not really getting the job done

Quick edit, because Hanglow Joe mentioned it. Bloodwork is good, except triglycerides...at my T levels were normal for a 50 year old guy and I couldn't talk my doctor to putting me on extra
I recently read this article and though it might interest you:

This Is What Happens to Your Body on a Thru-Hike
https://www.outsideonline.com/2125031/w ... thru-hike

Let me paste some figures from the article :

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I recently read this article and thought it might interest you:

This Is What Happens to Your Body on a Thru-Hike
https://www.outsideonline.com/2125031/w ... thru-hike
There's got to be a component of those results that is the immersion in nature, as much as all the exercise.

I have a friend who thru-hiked most of New Zealand after she graduated college. Seemed like a magical experience. Thanks for the link!
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 pm

I read the article and I believe he does acknowledge the effects of being immersed in the natural environment:

"My cortisol level was at the high end of the normal range before the trip and dropped by 40 percent during the hike—a testament to the stress-reducing benefits of being in nature, even when you’re pushing your body."
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González