The Destroyer

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

The Destroyer

Post by Turdacious » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Andy Ruiz Jr. is the baddest man on the planet. I only saw the highlights. Thoughts on Ruiz, Joshua, and what this means on the HW division?

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: The Destroyer

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Caught AJ on the ear @ 1:15, that will fuck up your balance. Actually, he's repeatedly punching him in the back of the head. I dunno but I think the baddest man on the planet ought to be able to defeat a taco truck. What a disgrace boxing has become.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 pm

He’s the first heavyweight champ in a while who is definitely not juicing.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Several thoughts...

1. It ain't no bodybuilding contest.
2. The heavyweight division is riddled with some of boxing's most shocking upsets (Spinks/Ali, Douglas/Tyson) simply because those boys hit hard and one punch can make all the difference. Joshua looked like he never recovered after that left hook to the ear in round 3.
3. Ruiz' hand speed is surprising given how he looked. In fact, it looked like he was lulling Joshua at times by modulating his speed. A lot of boxers throw with the same speed and same intention, every punch. To me, Ruiz was taking a page from the greats...showing slow hands as he moved in at times, and then suddenly ripping fast shots from out of nowhere.
4. Joshua got some shots in, for sure. Mexican boxers talk about the "Mexican chin/jaw" like it's a religion. Whether it's psychological or physiological...there's something to it. Ruiz took Joshua's best shots and kept coming. Very disheartening if you are Joshua.
5. Joshua looks great physically. That doesn't always translate to the ring, of course. The fight game is riddled with S&C charlatans, and Joshua may be working with someone who has put a bit too much muscle on him. This can compromise the aerobic base over the course of the fight.
6. Joshua either had the wrong game plan, or he got desperate after he got hurt. He was winging some big shots and expended a lot of energy. He was really leaning in over the front foot at times. Not efficient...takes more energy, kills speed, and muffles power.
7. Sometimes the other guy just believes more, wants it more, has a bigger reason to win, etc.
8. Ruiz looks like the kid from the movie 'Up', but he's obviously harder than a preacher's pecker.
9. Mexican heavyweights are such a rare commodity that it's easy to say "how can this be". Well...you don't think it be that way, but it do.
10. Joshua made Ruiz' job easier at times with his head placement. When pressed or taking hits, the bigger/taller guy should either retreat straight back off the jab/straight arm, or clash and clinch (see Klitschko as the apex example, and engineered by the great Emanuel Steward). When things got heated, Joshua would actually hunker down and put his head right in the firing line for Ruiz' hooks. Getting down in the weeds with the shorter guy is not the way to fight him.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:10 pm

AJ looked way to heavy and muscular. That's fine on the beach but exhausting in a fight, I've seen it over and over. Looks like Tarzan/fights like Jane syndrome. Once he was rocked he never came back.

And no it's not a bodybuilding contest but being a tub of lard does not improve technique, wind, strength, or anything else that contributed to his victory. Ruiz just kept cheap shotting AJ to the back of the head. AJ was stupid not to capitalize on his superior reach.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 am

If it’s Destroyer v Wilder next who y’all got?

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Heavyweight Fuel:
Jarrell Miller-- HGH and gas station dick pills
Tyson Fury-- booger sugar
Anthony Joshua-- some shit that only Lance Armstrong and the Klitsckhos know about
Deontay Wilder-- either that shit Kanye's on or Purple Drank. Or both. Probably both.
Baddest Man On The Planet-- Snickers

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Turdacious wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 am
If it’s Destroyer v Wilder next who y’all got?
Wilder may not have the belts for too much longer.

Wilder's fighting Ortiz next. Ortiz has less of a chance of winning than in his last fight due to his age, but he's still dangerous and if he's a smart boxer will adapt his game plan. He could take the belt from Wilder.

Wilder also has Fury after that. Fury really surprised me in that last fight with Wilder. He did great. His chance of beating Wilder is even greater than Ortiz IMHO. His defensive skills are fun to watch, especially for such a big man.

Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 pm
Several thoughts...

1. It ain't no bodybuilding contest.
2. The heavyweight division is riddled with some of boxing's most shocking upsets (Spinks/Ali, Douglas/Tyson) simply because those boys hit hard and one punch can make all the difference. Joshua looked like he never recovered after that left hook to the ear in round 3.
3. Ruiz' hand speed is surprising given how he looked. In fact, it looked like he was lulling Joshua at times by modulating his speed. A lot of boxers throw with the same speed and same intention, every punch. To me, Ruiz was taking a page from the greats...showing slow hands as he moved in at times, and then suddenly ripping fast shots from out of nowhere.
4. Joshua got some shots in, for sure. Mexican boxers talk about the "Mexican chin/jaw" like it's a religion. Whether it's psychological or physiological...there's something to it. Ruiz took Joshua's best shots and kept coming. Very disheartening if you are Joshua.
5. Joshua looks great physically. That doesn't always translate to the ring, of course. The fight game is riddled with S&C charlatans, and Joshua may be working with someone who has put a bit too much muscle on him. This can compromise the aerobic base over the course of the fight.
6. Joshua either had the wrong game plan, or he got desperate after he got hurt. He was winging some big shots and expended a lot of energy. He was really leaning in over the front foot at times. Not efficient...takes more energy, kills speed, and muffles power.
7. Sometimes the other guy just believes more, wants it more, has a bigger reason to win, etc.
8. Ruiz looks like the kid from the movie 'Up', but he's obviously harder than a preacher's pecker.
9. Mexican heavyweights are such a rare commodity that it's easy to say "how can this be". Well...you don't think it be that way, but it do.
10. Joshua made Ruiz' job easier at times with his head placement. When pressed or taking hits, the bigger/taller guy should either retreat straight back off the jab/straight arm, or clash and clinch (see Klitschko as the apex example, and engineered by the great Emanuel Steward). When things got heated, Joshua would actually hunker down and put his head right in the firing line for Ruiz' hooks. Getting down in the weeds with the shorter guy is not the way to fight him.

1. agree

2. agree

3. I saw his prior fight against Dimitrenko, he really surprised me with his hand speed and volume of punches. The guy looked like a machine, a big, fat machine. That bulk will not serve him well in the future. He's young and can take it, but when he gets to 33-34 his joints will have taken a pounding and his recovery will be hampered by being 30-35% body fat.

4. Don't forget that Joshua put him down first in the third round. I don't think he's been knocked down before, even in his amateur fights. Joshua might want to adapt his game plan for the rematch to include this. "I knocked him down and he got right back up. I should expect that to happen again and again." Joshua can win on points if he has too.

5. Agree to an extent, but not sure. Holyfield looked like a bodybuilder too. Joshua/Wlad was an interesting match-up. Joshua was looking gassed mid way through the fight. I was really surprised that he didn't fall right over, because he looked like he wouldn't be able to take much more.

6. Agree. I don't know why these guys don't go for the clinch until they get their legs back under them. Although, he was concussed, so maybe he just didn't have the faculties to make that decision.

7. Agree

8. Agree

9. Agree

10. Agree. Joshua gets buzzed a lot more than he needs to. He needs to work on head movement. It's tough to say how good of a chin he has because he takes so many shots. In fact, you could make the argument that his chin is actually pretty good because he gets rocked so often and still comes back.

Ruiz is not the second coming. I think he's a really good boxer that is not quite elite status that took advantage of a guy who's got mediocre defense and also didn't take him seriously. The rematch is already planned. I think Joshua definitely can take the belts back, but nothing is guaranteed. You've got some people online calling Joshua a joke and a fraud and all other assorted bullshit. I'm no Joshua nuthugger, but give me a break. Getting up 4 times after being knocked down is not quitting. And going 4 more rounds with someone who wants to tear your head off after suffering a brain injury is a difficult thing to do. I give the credit. Losing is nothing to be ashamed of. He needs to rest, regroup and make a game plan for the rematch.