Cluster set training

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Cluster set training

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:03 am

https://simplifaster.com/articles/cluster-training/ or

The principle. In the traditional training for mass you do (say) 4 sets of ten reps. Cluster sets include short intra-set breaks (I think 10 - 20 seconds). So instead of 10 reps x 4 sets you do 5 reps-15 sec rest-5 reps then rest for whatever duration between the next ten reps. Claimed benefits - maintained power throughout the set, reduced fatigue etc. Anybody has experience with this?

newguy

Re: Cluster set training

Post by newguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:12 am

Hmmmmmmm.......there have been variations of this for a long time. If i recall leo costa jr based his Titan Training on this. It is also reminiscent of Dogg Crap training. And to some extant things like Bryce Lane's 50 in 20....I recall one guy writing about doing pushups this way. 3 reps then breathe. 3 reps then breath.

Honestly, in high school we used to curl this way. Do some reps with the bar. Hand it to your friend. They do their reps. Hand it back. Back and forth.

The question is does this really give measurable noticeable results that doing 4 sets of 12 and increasing weight over time?

Who knows???

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 am

Many things were around for a long time, some justifiably so and some not so much. Here is the link to the dissertation by Junathan Oliver: https://simplifaster.com/articles/wp-co ... cience.jpg

According to the results of the study:
The use of intraset rest intervals in programs designed to elicit hypertrophy results in greater gains in
strength and power with no significant difference in lean mass or MHC composition
after a 12 week resistance training program designed to elicit hypertrophy.
Same results in hypertrophy, more strength and power with less fatigue (and therefore mental strain) - I'd say it's worth looking into. Obviously, research is different from real life, hence my question for those who tried it. Out of interest, I am not considering doing it.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:44 pm

Ladders probably fit into this theme as well. Keeping volume high with lower reps per set. The PTTP Bear protocol... it also fits in with PL54's thoughts that 10 sets of 3 is better than 3 sets of 10.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:44 pm

A much smarter fellow than me went through the research.....

https://athleticlab.com/cluster-training-by-ivan-jukic/
All in all, we can say that if minimizing fatigue-induced changes in velocity is not of paramount importance, cluster-set structures can be designed to use greater loads for a given number of repetitions, resulting in greater total volume without sacrificing power. Although both a traditional structure and cluster structures could be prescribed for maximum strength, a traditional structure is likely to provide superior training outcomes. Cluster training does, however, present a viable training option for the development of power at light to moderate external loads and hypertrophy. Therefore, the practitioner should select the training structure that is best suited to the individual training goals of the athlete. If high load performance and maximum strength is the key training objective, then a traditional set structure should be used. If the development of explosive power and velocity at light to moderate loads or hypertrophy is regarded as a more important training goal, then a cluster structure may be preferable. It may be that an integrated approach that uses both loading schemes offers optimal training adaptation or at the very least offers athlete’s variation that can address training monotony. The last thing that we should think about before incorporating this method in our programs is time. Cluster method takes time, much more time than traditional training method. However, if we are not limited by time with our athletes (which I doubt, especially in team-sport settings) by all means, go for it. Like always, it’s not black and white; it’s about making a right decision at the right time with respect to all variables that come into play
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 am

That's some solid shit. Thanks as always, BD.