TheHappyBody.com

Post by Cayenne » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Interested in thoughts, experiences, etc. TIA

www.TheHappyBody.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: TheHappyBody.com

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 pm

As I mentioned, I bought their book on a lark and still have it somewhere. There basic deal is moderating diet and lifting weights, but their twist is that while they are Olympic weightlifters--he was on, or alternate for, the Polish weightlifting team back in the day--they recommend a set of almost yoga like movements with dumbbells for their clients. It's been a couple of years since I looked through it. It's not crazy, but it's nothing revolutionary.

What is your particular interest? I can pull out the book and try to answer it.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks. No particular interest, more general interest, along the lines of what you addressed. Probably just my exercise ADD's never ending search for Magic Manna. I'll be 60 y.o. in January, so interested in staying all-around good as long as possible, etc. Also, I sit at a desk many hours daily so the more I can do to counter that effectively, the better.

What do you mean by "moderating" diet?

BTW, I noted in your (I paraphrase) "Aerobic exercise combats aging" thread how this couple eschews "the dishonor of aerobics", etc.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:38 am

Cayenne wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 pm

www.TheHappyBody.com
Jerzy was interviewed on Tim Ferriss’s podcast years ago and I recall him talking about how his long term client recovered so well from a couple hip replacements, and I wondered why a long term client needing multiple hip replacements wasn’t an indictment.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:32 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:38 am
Cayenne wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 pm

www.TheHappyBody.com
Jerzy was interviewed on Tim Ferriss’s podcast years ago and I recall him talking about how his long term client recovered so well from a couple hip replacements, and I wondered why a long term client needing multiple hip replacements wasn’t an indictment.
It could be but mostly those things are a combination of genetics and obesity. I am not aware of a strong correlation between lifting and joint replacements. Also, the type of exercises that they recommend are very low impact and use very light weights. Obv not a doctor... :-"
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:46 am

Spells & Fats, I can't point to any data, just anecdotally, I think many karateka ("many", i.e., disproportionate to % of population, etc.) end up needing new hips. Might a bazillion kicks be bad?

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:09 pm

I think the happy body people are right that strength is important and training to maintain and build muscle is vital to aging well. I think they are right that stretching/flexibility/mobility is important. A good yoga program, or tai chi, or jumpstretch bands, or whatever is also vital to aging well. I think they are completely wrong in regards to endurance training. It doesn't waste muscle. I think that plenty of walking, cycling, elliptical work, swimming, whatever, done at moderate levels is essential to aging well.

Their diet advice seems quacky as well.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:03 am

Cayenne wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:46 am
I can't point to any data, just anecdotally, I think many karateka ("many", i.e., disproportionate to % of population, etc.) end up needing new hips. Might a bazillion kicks be bad?
Incl one of my instructors. Back in the day she used to do sidekicks that were damn near vertical. I guess she's over 60 now? Had one hip replaced about 15 yrs ago, the other about 5 yrs ago. Must have gone well: a couple yrs after the second replacement I saw her sparring. Not kicking high anymore, but still throwing some, as accurate as always.

Bill Superfoot Wallace too, both hips.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:22 pm

I think it depends on hip structure (genetics) and dose of the activity (martial arts, running etc.) over your life.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:03 pm

newguy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:09 pm
I think the happy body people are right that strength is important and training to maintain and build muscle is vital to aging well. I think they are right that stretching/flexibility/mobility is important. A good yoga program, or tai chi, or jumpstretch bands, or whatever is also vital to aging well. I think they are completely wrong in regards to endurance training. It doesn't waste muscle. I think that plenty of walking, cycling, elliptical work, swimming, whatever, done at moderate levels is essential to aging well.

Their diet advice seems quacky as well.
Thanks Newguy. I'm hoping you are right. I have not read their book yet, I hope I can digest enough to fully get the exercise portion over the next few months. I don't see myself foregoing moving (moderate volume / low intensity, i.e. brisk walking and hitting 10K steps daily at minimum,) or changing to their eat in their "eat every 3 hours," way. (I've been an intermittent faster for a few years.) I like the "strength with flexibility" and the emphasis on quality relaxation that their approach offers but echo your sentiments on the rest.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:11 am

One thing I think, but I may not be right.....I've known a few people who have aged what I would consider VERY well. (96, still driving to work, still effective at work, mind sharp, funny, etc.) I've read a bit about it as well.

When it comes to quality aging I don't think exercise is as important as movement. (Not that it is not important as a part of allowing you to keep moving.) I think having a mental purpose and keeping the mind focused, having a proper attitude, etc. is as important as exercise. Have a reason to get up in the morning. Have some something that keeps you excited. Have fun.

I think lowering the calorie intake is as important as both of those.

I think luck and a good set of genes is probably as more important as any of it.

And I am talking about aging well. Not just not being dead. I've known a few of those too (bed ridden, mind gone, etc.) and honestly its not a goal worth having.

None of the people I've know that aged really well were non-drinkers. A few still hit it hard (relative to their size and age) frequently. The lady I am currently thinking of is very fond of margaritas and she is 96.We pick her at home for the office end of the year party, she has two margaritas, and we drive her home after. She is a blast. Same with the what I have found in my reading. Is that part of the luck? The same genetics that let you live long protect you from the ills of drinking? Maybe.... also the people that I have known as well as the one's I've read about are all real cool. Fun. Fun to be around. Great attitudes. Still funny. Still have opinions. The same one I'm thinking about...someone the other day asked her if she was thinking about retiring. "I'd love to but I can't. I'm the only one left that knows how to use typewriter!" And you know what, it's true! We don't know what we would do with out her.
"When I was little, my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire. And he was the Shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a 131 Lords. It was a bad time for the empire."

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Its mostly genetics and we survive in spite of what we do to ourselves, not because of it.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:25 am

^that. One hundred percent. Survivor bias is prevalent in population studies. Old Okinawans eat this and that, and therefore it's good for everybody. But then Australia is the world's fifth longest living country, and local cuisine is pies, French fries, deep fried fish and other nice stuff. Moreover, diabetes and obesity are on the increase, while life expectancy keeps going up. For some reason nobody urges others to get obese or to switch to the Australian diet for longevity.

riotboo
Gunny

Post by riotboo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm

As someone who just had a hip replaced at 49, I probably had the perfect storm for Hip wear
HS/College tae kwon do thin teens
Grad school aikido, got fat 20s
divorced got thin(ner) 30s power lifting, HG, Strongwoman, Oly, off road tris (kayak, mtb, running) during this time blown Achilles, acl, bicep on the left
40s kayaking, Bjj, aikido, mtb, gym rat

and here I am 2 weeks out from THR on the right side. Probably should have seen that coming. I figured my repaired knee would have gone first.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 pm

These people think everyone should fit into a very specific mold, as outlined by their suggestions. And some people just will never fit into that mold.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm

riotboo wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm
... here I am 2 weeks out from THR on the right side. Probably should have seen that coming. I figured my repaired knee would have gone first.
Best wishes for a full & speedy recovery Riotboo. Most folks I've heard from that have had THRs have only one complaint, i.e., that they did not do it sooner. Saw a guy a know who's been a jogger for years, (he's a cardiologist) walking with crutches the other day, asked him what happened and he said he was a few days post THR, feeling great. Most have told me that after awhile, they feel fantastic. Hope that's your experience too.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Hey Cayenne, I did find the book. Let me know if you want to know anything in particular, or if you want to borrow it.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Thank you Fat Cat, very gracious of you. I have access to their material but I do appreciate your generosity. (I may take you up on getting your opinion on their stuff at some future point, we'll see.)

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Sure thing, brah.

riotboo
Gunny

Post by riotboo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Cayenne wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Best wishes for a full & speedy recovery Riotboo. Most folks I've heard from that have had THRs have only one complaint, i.e., that they did not do it sooner. Saw a guy a know who's been a jogger for years, (he's a cardiologist) walking with crutches the other day, asked him what happened and he said he was a few days post THR, feeling great. Most have told me that after awhile, they feel fantastic. Hope that's your experience too.
Many thanks. I'm very happy with my results. So far the hardest thing has been pumping the brakes in regards to getting back to activities while things knit.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 am

Two most common reasons for problems after surgery: patients either not making a decent effort to get back on the feet - or overdoing it.

Be gentle, man. Bone takes a while to heal, and the rest of the transmission needs time to adjust to the new ball bearing. Start low, back down from new heights and deload, figuratively and literally. Eat well, sleep enough.

Get well soon.