Max recoverable volume - thoughts?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

dkay
Sarge

Max recoverable volume - thoughts?

Post by dkay » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:14 am

I know this question can be swatted away as being context dependent, but thoughts?

I'm not training for a sport now but for most of my "training" life I have basically beat the shit out of myself with lots of weekly volume in lifting, running hills etc. I've tried to do something almost daily for the past 35 years. A lot of sub max junk volume that probably just beat up my joints.

If we all face inevitable decline should we be doing the most or least to stave it off?

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Max recoverable volume - thoughts?

Post by powerlifter54 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Some movements and body parts and conditioning hits you harder than others. I can do a lot more upper body volume than squats, and much fewer deadlifts. But I can train upper back 4-5 times a week.

This is also dependent on how in shape you are, years of training, and bodyweight/type.

I used the working theory of 5:4:3 for ratio of bench to squat to deadlift. I now approaching 60 am more 4:3:2. I have an extensive training history and am over 200lbs. Using Alex Viada’s stuff, I am challenging my beliefs in order and frequency of lifting/conditioning done frequently. Doing something everyday or at least 6 days a week is a good idea.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Yeah, my general approach has been to do a lot of volume, which has lead to good work capacity - although probably at the expense of more pounds on the bar (and more reps with those pounds).

I'm not a strong guy and so I don't think that I am capable of systematically overtraining myself- when I look back at my logs, my poundages have been pretty stagnant since my late 30's but I am now capable of doing a lot more reps with those weights - all while gaining or losing the same 20 lbs over and over again. I've always used the same basic moves (squats, front squats, dips, pullups, incline benchs, DL, OH, behind neck presses, laterals, curls, dumbell pullovers, rows).

I've recently moved from decades of full body to push/pull/legs (every other day so working everything twice in 7 days), which has been something of a revelation in terms of how fresh I feel going into every workout, and the joints are feeling less cranky. This split has greatly reduced bodypart/movement frequency and overall volume on the big exercises. We'll see how it goes.

I'll always do something everyday - I try to walk for an hour early in the day plus either a later weight session, or hill running (or a short clusterfucky HIIT thing). It feels "right" to do something daily, but I'm also feel like I've spent a lot of time working hard but not smart - do you believe that volume is still a driver when it comes to maintaining/keeping what you have, or at least, does volume slow down inevitable decline?

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:43 am

Btw, thanks for your input on providing on shifting training proportions on work on the big 3. That was great. I have always enjoyed your input on this board and that was good information.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:34 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:59 pm
I used the working theory of 5:4:3 for ratio of bench to squat to deadlift. I now approaching 60 am more 4:3:2. I have an extensive training history and am over 200lbs. Using Alex Viada’s stuff, I am challenging my beliefs in order and frequency of lifting/conditioning done frequently. Doing something everyday or at least 6 days a week is a good idea.

+++++++++^^^^^^^^^^^

Same exact experience. The ratios are solid. I can squat maybe a little more frequently but it is not much more useful. 6 days a week of moving is legitimately a game changer.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Most or least? Neither. Nature is always evolving and overall, always a balance.

This is my keep it simple formula...
If your goal has nothing to do with winning a masters championship or setting a record, find your version of the following:

1) Train a challenging activity 3 days a week. Not ‘balls to the wall’ all 3 days, but it doesn’t have to be ‘heavy, medium, light’ either. More like, just shy of balls to the wall on one day, then a bit less than that but still stimulating and tough on the other two days.

2) The other 3 days a week do medium to light, lower impact activities in nature that get your heart rate up, your lungs full and your full body moving. A mix of cycling, rowing, swimming, trail running, rucking, solid yoga class etc.

3) At least one day a week do absolutely no training. Ok, meditate, or a short sunrise/set walk on the beach, detail your motorbike etc, but no exerting or joint loading at all.

4) Every 6 weeks or so, only do half of everything (load, volume, etc). For the week.

5) it’s ok to have a goal(s), but prioritise the overriding principle of ‘Sustainability’.

6) Think in terms of your life having seasons. Work out what season you are in and ratio your activities accordingly.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson