Setting up a half rack...

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

terra

Setting up a half rack...

Post by terra » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:38 am

Brains trust. I have a question...

A while ago I acquired a wall mounted half rack and some equipment at a stupid cheap price. It's a commercial unit 3"x3" with huge catch bars etc. Similar to a Rogue half rack but it also has those two mounting bars to the wall. Like this but with really strong beams instead of plates for the base mount...

Currently those two top mounting bars are 18" (450mm) long. I don't think the rack needs to be that far out from the wall. Rack will only be used for basic exercises such as solo squatting, bench press, shoulder press etc. Cutting those top arms down to 12" (300mm) would free up space in the garage, (and allow a car to fit in the garage on the rare occasion that's necessary).

There is this 'Slim Gym' rack (photo below) that comes with 12" mounting arms. It looks like that would work for me. The 12" long mounting bars plus the 3" upright means that the barbell will be 15" (375mm) out from the wall when sitting in the J hooks. Note, my chinup bar can sit out like the slim gym rack. This amount of space from the wall should be plenty for me, I'm not physically tall.

QUESTION:
Do you blokes know of any good reason I'm unaware of to leave it at the 18" (450mm) distance?
cheers.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Setting up a half rack...

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 pm

I think the only reason would be to have more room for kipping pull ups, since the legs will move more towards the wall. If you don't do them, no reason. I cannot imagine you won't have enough room for pressing and squatting

terra

Re: Setting up a half rack...

Post by terra » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Shaf. If I mount the chin-up bar out from the rack at an angle (which I can do with a bit of mucking around), It gives an extra foot of space. So that should be plenty... Not that I ever plan on kipping. But it will allow me to hang some rings or a TRX etc and still have space.

Just cleaned out the garage this weekend.
Now off to get some 32NB PIPE to shorten those mounting arms.
Then drill and Hilti the whole thing in.

The deal included a full set of brand name bumpers, smaller plates, 2 decent Oly bars, a rack mounted landmine fitting and some wall mounted barbell and plate storage.

Was also given a second pair of catch bars that were lying around. Totally useless to me but I’ll see if they can be used as the foundation for a homemade, rack mounted GHR unit.

Should be a good set-up... once complete.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson