Of Pistols and BW Squats

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Post Reply
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:34 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:55 pm
Now go to Google and search: pistols hurt my knees, pistols hurt my back.
We are tallking about back, so i googled "pistols hurt my back" :finga:
I agree, such pistols are really hurts.
Attachments
Снимок.JPG
Снимок.JPG (110.56 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:38 pm

It seems that there are zero results for "pistols hurt my back" :)

About knees, yes, many result in English, but zero in Russian.

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6993
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Sangoma » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:19 am

Now go to Google and search: pistols hurt my knees, pistols hurt my back.
The problem with Google is you can find anything. For example this:

THE SINGLE LEG SQUAT IS THE BEST EXERCISE FOR KNEE INJURY PREVENTION

I don't really care about pistols or this argument, but I find it strange that one moment is singled out of many unilateral exercises as useless and dangerous. If you do pistols according to Crossfit philosophy then sure, you are likely to get injured. But then you can get injured with anything.

The reason athletes don't do pistols is because they are too damn difficult. Most athletes don't do one legged BW squats either, as you can hurt yourself with them too. Once I inadvertently did it to someone: I showed it to a guy, he tried it and smashed his knee (unloaded leg) against the floor. That's why most trainees prefer lunges and split squats - they are not true one legged exercises. And, by the way, flexed lower back in pistols is irrelevant because they are not loaded.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:56 am

Westerners are very fragile. If they sit down, they will hurt their knees.
If they do a pegtop, they’ll break their backs :)

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:39 am

Sangoma wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:19 am
The reason athletes don't do pistols is because they are too damn difficult.


You know that's not true.

Barbell snatch is one of the most difficult lifts to perform and many, many, many athletes do it. Why? Because it fucking works!

Mike Boyle is widely known for having ditched barbell squats and favor unilateral leg work for all his athletes. And guess what? They all do all kinds of single leg exercises... but no pistols.

RFESS is a tried and tested exercise, practiced all over the world by a WIDE array of athletes. So is the step up. So is the lunge.

And the reason athletes don't do pistol squats is because you can't load the pistol appropriately: doing so with a flexed back is a very bad idea and, anyways, having to balance the load would turn the exercise into a circus trick.

There is nothing to be gained by doing pistol squats than any other safer, smarter and less idiotic single leg variation doesn't exceed by an enormous margin.

Stop playing the Devil's advocate, you know I'm right on this.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:57 am

SubClaw wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:39 am
...you can't load the pistol appropriately...
It as already had been said several times Pistol is a best choise for those who have not external weights, but your argument again and again "you can't load the pistol" ](*,)

Your lovely PRESS or lunges its just a girl's exercises without external weights.
But pistol can be done by itself (without external weights), and load will be more than enough for average person.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:57 am
It as already had been said several times Pistol is a best choise for those who have not external weights, but your argument again and again "you can't load the pistol" ](*,)
I know what you said. Still doesn't care for it.

Why and how is better a squat pistol than an unloaded RFESS? I'm not asking for your opinion, I'm asking for biomechanical reasons.

You don't even know how to respond to that.

Just because you like an idiotic exercise, it doesn't magically make it useful.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:50 am

SubClaw wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am
Why and how is better a squat pistol than an unloaded RFESS?
Unloaded PRESS just too easy to spend training time on it.

But it can be good for girls, who want to "tone" their asses.
Or maybe as warmup.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:50 am
SubClaw wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am
Why and how is better a squat pistol than an unloaded RFESS?
Unloaded PRESS just too easy to spend training time on it.

But it can be good for girls, who want to "tone" their asses.
Or maybe as warmup.
Does your bodyweight magically increase when you do pistol squats? No, it stays the same. So your leg moves the same load. Period.

You find it pistols harder because it's a balance exercise, not a strength one.

Do you want to make pistols harder and way more idiotic?

Image

The load stays the same, but the difficulty is way, way, way harder. And your leg muscles will be underworked exactly the same.

I'm sure you will like it.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 am

SubClaw wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 am
Does your bodyweight magically increase when you do pistol squats? No, it stays the same. So your leg moves the same load. Period.

You find it pistols harder because it's a balance exercise, not a strength one.
I did both. Your PRESS and pistols.
Pistols are phisically harder.
Its not balance thing, its just because PRESS is two legged exercise, and because of that it is much easier.
You need to do 20-30 those PRESSes to feel something is training.

In pistols there is no any balance challenge, its pure strength exercise.
Yes, i can not increase load, it is always will be the same, but it is enough for my goals.

Again, i did both, and i saying that the Pistol its more strength exercise than PRESS.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:21 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 am
In pistols there is no any balance challenge
Unfuckingbelievable!

Up until now I thought you were just an imbecile, now I'm pretty sure you suffer from Fragile X syndrome.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:25 am

SubClaw wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:21 am
Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 am
In pistols there is no any balance challenge
Unfuckingbelievable!

Up until now I thought you were just an imbecile, now I'm pretty sure you suffer from Fragile X syndrome.
Shit, just staying on one leg is a balance challenge for you???

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:25 am
Shit, just stay on one leg is a balance challenge for you???
Lifting your starved, little, and skinny body using one leg is a challenge for you? =D> =D> =D>

Man... it must suck to be you.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:32 am

I thought that staying on one leg should not be a balance chalenge for any healthy man.

And yes, lifting my skinny body using one leg is a strength challenge for me :)

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:34 am

But at least i can stay on one leg :)

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by aussie luke » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:02 am
aussie luke wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm
I’ve never managed pistol squats
Try this preparing exercise (at 0:28) at first you will drop on your ass, just keep trying.
I do it in warmup before pistols.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_gvXvqNbA&t=28s
I just tried this. Was hard at first. Couldn’t do it on my right leg at all. But after a few mins could do both sides ok.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 pm

aussie luke wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:16 pm
Wild Bill wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:02 am
aussie luke wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm
I’ve never managed pistol squats
Try this preparing exercise (at 0:28) at first you will drop on your ass, just keep trying.
I do it in warmup before pistols.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_gvXvqNbA&t=28s
I just tried this. Was hard at first. Couldn’t do it on my right leg at all. But after a few mins could do both sides ok.
So pistols should not be a problem.
But i still do this before pistols, for warmup.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 pm

I mean you have enough flexibility for them.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by aussie luke » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 pm
I mean you have enough flexibility for them.
I’ve always been able to do them assisted with a trx for balance but never tried without

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:07 pm

aussie luke wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:22 pm
assisted with a trx for balance
Why? According to some retarded...
Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 am
In pistols there is no any balance challenge
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Well, very little balance challenge.
Not enough to count it :)
Or at least not enough to call it balance exercise.

SubClaw, seriously, do you think pistol is highly coordinated move with complex balance?
Last edited by Wild Bill on Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:15 pm

In any case, balances on one leg is highly benefitial for knees health.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Ok.
I am stopping it.
Maybe I am wrong, and people will get injures because of my words.
Each should think for himself of course.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:58 pm

I mean, stop discussing, not doing the pistols :)

User avatar
newguy
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2528
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by newguy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:07 pm
aussie luke wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:22 pm
assisted with a trx for balance
Why? According to some retarded...
Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 am
In pistols there is no any balance challenge
Wild Bill is russian. Or something like that. For russians pistols are nothing. Absolutely nothing. No balance challenge. It is a whole different world there. In order to move from 2nd to 3rd grade you have to be able to do 50 pistols on each leg standing on a horse.

They only reason it is a strength challenge is because he is so malnourished. He only got an skillet a few weeks ago for gods sake. Give him some time to eat again.

So stop being judgmental assholes, check your privileges, and cut him some slack you well fed pricks.

Post Reply