Of Pistols and BW Squats

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Post Reply
aussie luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by aussie luke » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm

I’ve never managed pistol squats, but shrimp squats/airborne lunges/skater squats I worked at and got fairly strong with - 10 sets of 5/5

But, they cause me upper oblique/side abdominal pain on my right side - every time. I thought it was overuse but even trying one rep now the same happens.

Would love to be able to do them but not sure what I could do to not injure myself.

So for now they’re on my never again list.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39987
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:24 pm

newguy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:07 am
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:32 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Isn't it the little Fagin himself, Freido?
OLD Friedo is considered a sage and a wiseman over at strongfirst, as well as their 'enforcer of standards'
He gets a strong and sweet shout out in "The Quick and Dead. Be a leopard or be a bitch."
Well, we know which option Freido chose.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 pm

I dunno.
One legged squat its the same as two legged, but done with one leg :)
So all dangers theoreticaly must be the same as of two legged squat.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 pm
I dunno.
One legged squat its the same as two legged, but done with one leg :)
So all dangers theoreticaly must be the same as of two legged squat.
This is NOT the same:

Image

As this:

Image
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:59 pm

well... :))
I do not see much difference in angles.
But I admit, I am am an amateur.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:16 pm

btw, on this pistol picture he leans forward too much.

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4965
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:42 pm

Without some counter weight held out in front, I don't see how you can do a rock bottom pistol and not lean forward a good bit.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:59 pm
well... :))
I do not see much difference in angles.
But I admit, I am am an amateur.
To name a few key differences...

Rounded lower back. That's a BIG NO.

Lack of tension at the bottom of the pistol. Second BIG NO.

The great trochanter of the femur is grinding the hip.

Pistols are a useless circus trick. If you want, for whatever wrong reason, build your legs using calisthenics movements, you better do this:

Image
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:42 pm
Without some counter weight held out in front, I don't see how you can do a rock bottom pistol and not lean forward a good bit.
on previous page I posted example without leaning forward.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:07 pm

Rounded lower back its just mistake of this guy.

As for this "Lack of tension at the bottom of the pistol. Second BIG NO."
I did not understand it :(
What tension is lacking in one legged squat, and why its not lacking in two legged?

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:10 pm

Pistol is not a trick.
Its just a squat on one leg.
You guys are tallking about it as so its really some trickly coordinated move.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:11 pm

I did shrimp squat but did not like it.
The feeling of half move.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39987
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Pistol is not a trick.
Its just a squat on one leg.
You guys are tallking about it as so its really some trickly coordinated move.
This is a long discussion (read: hateful argument) on this board. I am not all that coordinated and I can easily do pistol squats with a warm up. It's not tricky, it's not a skill, it's just a shitty one legged version of a regular squat. It has its place where there aren't better alternatives, such as when you are working out without access to weights, or have a particular imbalance.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Pistol is not a trick.
Its just a squat on one leg.
You guys are tallking about it as so its really some trickly coordinated move.
Pistols are shitty, useless and injurious one-legged squats.

Same thing applies to bench dips, behind the neck anything and olympic lifts for high reps.

Calisthenics are more than adequate for the upper body, but it won't be nearly enough for the legs. The only lower body bodyweight exercise worth its salt is the Nordic hamstring curl.
Image

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm
This is a long discussion (read: hateful argument) on this board. I am not all that coordinated and I can easily do pistol squats with a warm up. It's not tricky, it's not a skill, it's just a shitty one legged version of a regular squat. It has its place where there aren't better alternatives, such as when you are working out without access to weights, or have a particular imbalance.
Rear foot elevated split squats are WONDERFUL.

Spine, knee and ankle friendly, they allow the use of significant loads and you can extend the range of motion quite a bit if necessary.

Pistols are just plain stupid.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 pm

SubClaw wrote: Pistols are ... injurious...
I heard about a lot of injured barbell squaters. Some even need of implants or other shit.

But not heard about such problems with pistol squats :)

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 pm

And what you mean by "useless"?
How squating can be useless?

I mean I liftin my weight with one leg with full range of motion... how it could be useless?
I agree its not as usefull as barbell squat, but not useless.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39987
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm
This is a long discussion (read: hateful argument) on this board. I am not all that coordinated and I can easily do pistol squats with a warm up. It's not tricky, it's not a skill, it's just a shitty one legged version of a regular squat. It has its place where there aren't better alternatives, such as when you are working out without access to weights, or have a particular imbalance.
Rear foot elevated split squats are WONDERFUL.

Spine, knee and ankle friendly, they allow the use of significant loads and you can extend the range of motion quite a bit if necessary.

Pistols are just plain stupid.
I'm not quite sure how you missed the part where I said that pistols make sense when you can't access weights. You should probably see an optometrist.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6993
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 am

One legged deadlift, one arm pushup, one arm pullup are all useful movements. But one legged BW squat, the pistol, is "absolutely useless". One armed barbell deadlift is useful, but loaded one legged squat is not. One arm snatch, one arm jerk or clean and jerk are fine. One arm swing is good. Any lift is fine in its unilateral version. Not BW squat. The pistol exception.
Image

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:31 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 pm
I'm not quite sure how you missed the part where I said that pistols make sense when you can't access weights. You should probably see an optometrist.
You don't need "weights" to do RFESS.

You can do them using your own bodyweight, you can fill a backpack with books, rocks or whatever...

You are not usually this dense. Is that some side effect of the coronavirus?
Image

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:32 am

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 am
One legged deadlift, one arm pushup, one arm pullup are all useful movements. But one legged BW squat, the pistol, is "absolutely useless". One armed barbell deadlift is useful, but loaded one legged squat is not. One arm snatch, one arm jerk or clean and jerk are fine. One arm swing is good. Any lift is fine in its unilateral version. Not BW squat. The pistol exception.
Unilateral movements are generally useful, but not all of them are.

Shrimp squats are one legged squats too. And they are not useless. Pistols are. And dangerous.
Image

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:35 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 pm
And what you mean by "useless"?
How squating can be useless?

I mean I liftin my weight with one leg with full range of motion... how it could be useless?
I agree its not as usefull as barbell squat, but not useless.
You should join a Xfit facility. You would fit perfectly there.
Image

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:41 am

I did pistol squats long before X-fit was invented.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:44 am

And honestly, considering the number of injured, barbell squat is more dangerous.

User avatar
SubClaw
Top
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Of Pistols and BW Squats

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:53 am

Wild Bill wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:41 am
I did pistol squats long before X-fit was invented.
I was referring to your inability to think for yourself.
Image

Post Reply