Re: Pavhole's new book is out today

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:50 am

Good stuff, Sangoma. =D>

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm
If you don't feel the urge to punch this face you have fragile telomeres.

Is he doing the splits in that pic?

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:30 pm

leansoliddogs.blog

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Still doing this about twice a week along with heavy bag work twice a week, and I feel like I'm getting great results. I feel good, and I like where some things are headed in the mirror. Eventually, the monotony will probably force me to abandon this or take an extended break from it. Right now, I just put on some tunes, start the clock, turn off the brain, and let it rip.

Forgetting the prescribed movements for a moment, I think the intentional avoidance of lactic acid is what will most inform and improve my training for the rest of my days. Seriously, I hit this thing hard last night, and I feel like a million bucks this morning. Contrast this with my past of manic "let's dry hump the world into submission" man-maker style training that would leave me dragging ass for two days and dreading the next time I looked at a kettlebell or hit the deck for a push-up.

Yeah, Pavel's best talent is on display in this book, imo. And by best talent, I mean the ability to take a simple idea that could be conveyed over a cup of coffee and inflate it into a white paper that looks worthy of a $10 price point from a distant. Honestly, I'm glad he wrote the fucking thing, and I'm glad I bought it. Don't see myself at a strong endurance seminar anytime soon, though.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:45 pm

I think I will go against newguy's advice (no offense) and order this just for the hell of it. It's only $15 for the paperback.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:30 pm

To be frank Selouyanov's lectures are all over the place in terms of the quality of information. At times he says things that make me cringe. We can argue about his ideas of how to train various muscle fibers and mitochondria in them - I couldn't find publications under his name on this topic, but he claims to have fixed lots of athletes in his laboratory. I guess it is a possibility - not every training methodology is published, especially that which produces champions.

The theme that goes through his every lecture like a red thread: avoid excessive acidosis, it destroys the muscle. He said many times that Crossfit is a horrible idea for the average individual. He mentions many examples where people trained less and achieved more.

The particulars of his method are many and they are scattered all over the place. I will do more posts on the blog as I find more credible information.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Croatoa wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 pm
Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm
If you don't feel the urge to punch this face you have fragile telomeres.

Is he doing the splits in that pic?
No, he watching his forum to catch the perpetrators of ungentlemanly behavior.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:30 pm
To be frank Selouyanov's lectures are all over the place in terms of the quality of information. At times he says things that make me cringe. We can argue about his ideas of how to train various muscle fibers and mitochondria in them - I couldn't find publications under his name on this topic, but he claims to have fixed lots of athletes in his laboratory. I guess it is a possibility - not every training methodology is published, especially that which produces champions.

The theme that goes through his every lecture like a red thread: avoid excessive acidosis, it destroys the muscle. He said many times that Crossfit is a horrible idea for the average individual. He mentions many examples where people trained less and achieved more.

The particulars of his method are many and they are scattered all over the place. I will do more posts on the blog as I find more credible information.
So...as far as Crossfit goes, I know many people who have successfully and dramatically improved their health and endurance doing organized crossfit. One guy I know was able to drop every medication he had been put on...diuretic, statin, and some other thing just related to aging and gaining weight.

So I'm not buying the whole line of "lactic or anaerobic exercise ruins you." Because it doesn't necessarily do so.

That's not saying an aerobic-alactic type approach is not worthwhile, nor is it saying maffetone style cardio is useless.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 am

As far as I understand from what I hear from people Crossfit has changed quite a bit in the last few years. Selouyanov was referring to balls to the wall every session - high intensity and high volume every time you enter the gym. Recently there is programming and variation of variables. I know of people who joined Crossfit and were given instruction to take long breaks between sets and build the load gradually. Common sense and basic principle of training.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 am

Vasily Volkov, Selouyanov's former student and follower, coaches high level boxers. His info is more organised and is taken further in terms of practicalities for various sports. His way to summarise endurance training makes sense. Endurance lies in the muscle and is quite specific to the sport. You can try fill oxidative muscle fibers with mitochondria all you want, but there is a limit. Therefore it makes sense to prioritise building slow muscle fibers. That is done by using low weights to the sensation of "pumping" in the muscle. Several sets performed as the series, several series in one session. Importantly, this concept of building slow fibers in this particular way has been confirmed in one of the latest Schoenfield's articles (2014 if I am not mistaken).

Mitochondria grow whenever the training stimulus predisposes the muscle to do so - the presence of optimal acidosis, reduction in ATP and KP and the increase in free Kreatine. Another piece of research Volkov was quoting in his Youtube channel demonstrated optimal number of high intensity intervals in a training session: more that optimal may impede progress.

He is also the proponent of the slow lifting endurance protocols. Circuits of two or more exercises, duration of one set 1 minute, rest one minute, intensity - 20-30% 1RM. Repeated 5 - 10 times. Shouldn't be done to severe fatigue. Exercise selection - in context of the sport.

Lots of interesting stuff.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:03 am

As far as I understand from what I hear from people Crossfit has changed quite a bit in the last few years. Selouyanov was referring to balls to the wall every session - high intensity and high volume every time you enter the gym. Recently there is programming and variation of variables. I know of people who joined Crossfit and were given instruction to take long breaks between sets and build the load gradually. Common sense and basic principle of training.

And, of course, in response to "I know many people who got better with Crossfit" - I know quite a few who are chronically injured. As well as overweight, in spite of training every day.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Of course, although I do know far more people who have been injured doing crossfit than injured olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, or doing strongman combined

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:02 am

Selouyanov insisted that hypertrophy of the glycolytic muscle fibers requires different loading parameters. Growing glycolytic fibers wa the purpose of his static-dynamic method. As the reminder, this method is similar to the method of Serge Nubret (according to some BB bloggers out there) - laughter weights to the pumping effect. Exercise is performed in reduced range of motion, which excludes the possibility of a neutral position which allows for some sort of rest. If you do squat this way, for example, you don't get to fully extend your knees, so that the muscles are constantly contracted. This is done with light weights (30 - 50% of 1RM) for 25-30 reps, to failure, several sets in the series.

One of the Selouyanov's students and followers, Vasily Volkov, has an interesting reference in one of his presentations. While the jury is still out and the evidence is not conclusive there is some evidence that Selouyanov could be correct, that glycolytic fibers need different stimulus to grow - is now supported by practical science.

Ogborn D., Schoenfeld B. J. (2014). The role of fiber types in muscle hypertrophy: implications for loading strategies. Strength Cond. J. 36, 20–25. 10.1519
Based on the current body of research, there is emerging evidence indicating that type I fibers can substantially contribute to overall muscle CSA. Research also suggests that low-load resistance exercise may help to maxi- mize type I fiber hypertrophy, pro- vided that training is carried out to concentric muscular failure (24).

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm

For those who have read Pavel's latest work, a question that is beside the point of whether the methodology works well or not. Since departing Dragon Door, has the over-the-top "Comrade," ("Evil Empire," "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...One Volga, Two Volga") and, "X is for sissies", etc., sort of writing style, diminished or changed?

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Cayenne wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm
For those who have read Pavel's latest work, a question that is beside the point of whether the methodology works well or not. Since departing Dragon Door, has the over-the-top "Comrade," ("Evil Empire," "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...One Volga, Two Volga") and, "X is for sissies", etc., sort of writing style, diminished or changed?
Less over the top, but still easy to read and entertaining. I think there are a few cracks at yoga and aerobics, but not many.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 am

Lee's of that, but it has Pavel's translation of Russian poetry. I will reserve the assessment.