Occlusion bands

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Occlusion bands

Post by syaigh » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:48 pm

So I do part time work as a fitness writer and consultant. I am currently evaluating some commercially available occlusion bands for both the upper thigh (basically fits where your thigh connects to your hip, not a flattering look, but whatever) and the upper arm (in the space between delt and bicep). So these are neoprene, about an inch and a half wide, and you get a size based on your measurements and desired compression.

So far, I can say without a doubt that whatever the mechanism actually is, they work very well for eliminating post workout soreness on both sides of the band. You dont use both sets at once. Just the legs for lower body and the arms for upper body. I have not noticed the usual soreness I experience after workouts. But the all time test for me that convinced me something was definitely different was using them when deadlifting for the first time in several months. Ordinarily, my hamstrings and glutes would be painfully sore for days afterwards, even with light weight. But after deadlifting bodyweight for 6 sets of 8 working sets, I literally had no pain or tightness at all afterwards. I kept expecting it to show up on day 2 or 3, but it never did. Not sure if it's about blood flow or pressure on the muscle/tendon receptors that trigger muscle relaxation or what. But there is definitely something going on.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Occlusion bands

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 pm

What brand? These look inexpensive.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 pm

I use some I got from Amazon that are made out of knee wrap/wrist wrap material. They work pretty good.

Syaigh, are you using the higher reps recommended for occlusion or did you go your own way like T200 and see the White Buffalo

I get sore using them, but it's not the same kind of sore. Also, when I have the tightness correct, it gets pretty damned painful with regards to burning. PL54 uses them a lot and is super happy with his results

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

I've just been using them without regard to reps, etc. I am doing a hybrid strength/bodybuilding training program right now so assistance work is higher reps, basic strength and power is lower reps (3-6). I've also used them when throwing and noticed a decrease in shoulder soreness and I even used the leg ones when riding (jumping and dressage) and noticed a huge decrease in hip flexor pain. Typically after an hour in the saddle, my right hip flexor feels like its going to tear clean off, but with the bands, this doesn't happen. That's why I thought it might be more of a pressure sensor effect than necessarily occlusion. Either way, I think its a net positive.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:55 pm

It might be time for full on geared powerlifting!

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 pm

I am of the age when the idea of having an exoskeleton. Is mighty appealing.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks for mentioning this, syaigh. I was looking into Kaatsu this week actually.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 pm
Syaigh, are you using the higher reps recommended for occlusion or did you go your own way like T200 and see the White Buffalo
What is T200 up to these days? Last I recall he was moving (i.e., being pursued by law enforcement)?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González