Diet and Training Programs of the World's Greatest Chess Players

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Diet and Training Programs of the World's Greatest Chess Players

Post by Bram » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:32 am

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27 ... ying-chess

"In October 2018, Polar, a U.S.-based company that tracks heart rates, monitored chess players during a tournament and found that 21-year-old Russian grandmaster Mikhail Antipov had burned 560 calories in two hours of sitting and playing chess -- or roughly what Roger Federer would burn in an hour of singles tennis."

"Robert Sapolsky, who studies stress in primates at Stanford University, says a chess player can burn up to 6,000 calories a day while playing in a tournament, three times what an average person consumes in a day. Based on breathing rates (which triple during competition), blood pressure (which elevates) and muscle contractions before, during and after major tournaments, Sapolsky suggests that grandmasters' stress responses to chess are on par with what elite athletes experience."
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Diet and Training Programs of the World's Greatest Chess Players

Post by Sangoma » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:51 am

Given the advantage of the time zone of my residence I am proud to be the first to say that this is utter bullshit.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:51 am
Given the advantage of the time zone of my residence I am proud to be the first to say that this is utter bullshit.
Good, I like when you Hulk out on methodology. Go on.
leansoliddogs.blog

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:31 pm

It probably is bullshit, a cursory look for Robert Sapolsky and chess research includes only a anecdote he included in a Stanford commencement speech.

Link here:

https://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/jun ... 61709.html

"You have two humans, and they are taking part in some human ritual. They are sitting there silently at a table. They make no eye contact; they’re still, except every now and then one of them does nothing more taxing than lifting an arm and pushing a little piece of wood. And if it’s the right wood and the right chess grand masters in the middle of a tournament, they are going through 6,000 to 7,000 calories a day thinking, turning on a massive physiological stress response simply with thought and doing the same thing with their bodies as if they were some baboon who has just ripped open the stomach of their worst rival, and it’s all with thought, and memories and emotions. And suddenly we’re in the realm of taking just plain old nuts and bolts physiology and using it in ways that are unrecognizable."

The only evidence for the heart rate/calorie claims (from the article) I can find is this photo off of twitter:

https://twitter.com/photochess/status/1 ... a-sport%2F

I could find no studies conducted involving chess players and increased heart rates. I did find one very small study indicating higher heart rate variability (HRV) in higher-level chess players during complex problems vs. lower-level, but that is merely a potential indicator that HRV levels might be correlated with chess performance and not an argument that chess burns tons of calories.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00409/full
"Nothing is harder / on the soul / than the smell of dreams / while they are evaporating." - Mahmoud Darwish

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:10 pm

The poker tournament community has had a big LOL at this report.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:51 am
=D> =D> =D> =D>
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule