Spiritual Well-Being

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Spiritual Well-Being

Post by Bram » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:18 pm

What do you feel contributes to yours?

I asked a friend last night and he said: doing things that make other people feel good, reading, and creating something he's proud to share (he's an artist).

I asked a friend this morning and she said creativity.

With the physical it seems a bit clear: cardio, resistance training, nature, eating well, drinking water, etc.

But interested in what you all find works for your soul/spirit.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Spiritual Well-Being

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:30 pm

For me there's nothing like being out in natural areas, away from the built environment. That, reading a great deal of philosophic literature, and it may sound crazy, but listening to music. Not just any music, mind you, but that which elevates the senses, like so:

The thing they all have in common, for me, is to create a state of deep mental calm. Unharried and outside of time. You can't really access your highest psychic functions in a state of chronic allostatic load. One thing that people have become blind to is the stress-inducing, harassment architecture of the modern world.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Buddhism. As the way to understand where all this mental anguish is coming from. Understanding leads to solutions. Happiness is the quality of the mind; change your mind - change your world.

Nature is definitely awesome. Everything created by men is a poor imitation of the Nature. Nature is where we belong.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:11 am

Just to add a few more from people I asked today:

Good conversations
Interesting places
Water (being in it, being near it, drinking it)
Trying a new recipe that people enjoy
Nature
Balance (between work/play and all your various interests)
Yoga
Sleep

It's been surprising to hear the answers. A devout Catholic woman answered creativity, a dance teacher mentioned yoga....thanks for the thoughtful replies above :)
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:15 am

As for myself....

Friends - make me feel like my "self" is fully expressed
Family - make me feel more loving
Flow - gives a sense of joy. Specifically if I can weave one experience after another together: sunrise meditation, followed by surfing, followed by yoga, followed by reading, etc.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:37 am

When I think of spirituality, I think of it in terms of "the spirit of things" i.e., the essential qualities of a thing. For humans, the most essential qualities are those that arise from our biology, our fundamental characteristics. For that, things like being in nature, being with relatives, preparing food, etc. all share in that quality. When I answered your question, that's where I am coming from.

On the other hand, some people equate it more to a religious mindset which varies depending on the religious tradition. I would put things like meditation and yoga more in that category. "Spiritual" and "spirituality" are much abused terms. What do they mean to you?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:37 am
When I think of spirituality, I think of it in terms of "the spirit of things" i.e., the essential qualities of a thing. For humans, the most essential qualities are those that arise from our biology, our fundamental characteristics. For that, things like being in nature, being with relatives, preparing food, etc. all share in that quality. When I answered your question, that's where I am coming from.
I very much like this. Relating our biology to the need for nature and connection.
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:37 am

On the other hand, some people equate it more to a religious mindset which varies depending on the religious tradition. I would put things like meditation and yoga more in that category. "Spiritual" and "spirituality" are much abused terms. What do they mean to you?
I suppose I was looking at it from a "mind, body, and soul" perspective. Mind would be reading and writing, learning, teaching, etc. Body would be food, exercise, sunshine. But the soul....I think it's very individual, though nature, creativity, and doing good for others seem to be common themes.

But I would fully assume that prayer, yoga, meditation, religious services, and so on, would fulfill both spiritual and soul work in a particular individual.

Spiritual/spirituality for me, if I'm attempting to define it, would be what ever brings joy. Laughter, helping someone, losing yourself to music, sometimes meditation, a great hug or sexual experience, deep conversation. I don't have a religion I subscribe to, but I love the idea of Taoism and Zen Buddhism with their emphasis on following the path of nature.

What does spiritual and spirituality mean to you?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:54 am

My spirit calms down when Fat Cat say he agrees with what I write. Even if I know he is lying.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:24 pm

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:54 am
My spirit calms down when Fat Cat say he agrees with what I write. Even if I know he is lying.
White Buddhists are gay LARPers!

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:47 pm

What do you feel contributes to yours?
Accomplishments leading to satisfaction. For example:
- walking, hiking, rucking, biking up any steep thing where I hit my limit, and then just sitting by myself in the woods or on top of a rock and enjoying the sweat and exhaustion. It’s the best.
- building something that works. Did I mention my pizza oven? I build kayaks too. They are art.
- solving hard intellectual problems that consume thought and require some change in perspective to solve

The best ones are the ones only I know about. I am wary of the effect of any sort of “social acclaim” tied to things. Easy to be dependent on it, but what happens when it is gone, or turns? Be your own ship with an internal compass.
Don’t believe everything you think.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Being alone in the wilderness is the only thing that “fixes” me spiritually.