Exercises for knee pain?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Exercises for knee pain?

Post by Sangoma » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:00 am

I've seen a few books on Amazon, but didn't get to checking the ideas up yet. There are some claims that age related knee pain is due to the imbalances between the quad and the hamstrings, and the solution is butt to the floor squats of any kind. Not sure if this is true. Anybody had any personal experience?

JimZipCode

Re: Exercises for knee pain?

Post by JimZipCode » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm

What kind of knee pain?

I had twinges in my knees when I would bend to do Ippons or Ogoshis in judo class. The twinges were at the top, around the insertion of the quad(s). Simple leg extensions helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQpiTwUeyM

If you got something more serious, I have no idea.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:00 am
I've seen a few books on Amazon, but didn't get to checking the ideas up yet. There are some claims that age related knee pain is due to the imbalances between the quad and the hamstrings, and the solution is butt to the floor squats of any kind. Not sure if this is true. Anybody had any personal experience?
I have worked with maybe a dozen people who've had knee pain and who have overcome it, and I'm on that list as well.

Some general suggestions:

*trigger point work on the vastus medialis and vastus lateralis...start just above the knee and work your way up
*working quad, knee flexion and hip extension in the same workout...this could be lunges, hamstring curls and deadlifts....or squats, glute-ham raises and single-leg deadlifts....I prefer to start with single-leg work to build some stability, then add in bi-lateral work once the knee is doing well.
*vmo isolation work....band terminal knee extensions or ball resisted terminal knee extensions (just put a stability ball behind your knee and straighten your leg out)

Other things I include, but I'm not sure how helpful they are:

*adduction and abduction work
*slow front kicks....this is basically a bodyweight leg extension....I find leg extensions generally piss peoples knees off, but this is a way to work that motion without the downward force of the machine. Lift your knee up, tuck your ass under and straighten your leg.

2-3 sets of 8-20 reps each side for all exercises.

My general knee rehab approach....

Step-Ups (pain free ROM) x 2-3 sets
Hamstring Curls x 2-3 sets
45 Degree Low Back Extensions x 2-3 sets

Then I add in items from the above as needed.

An advanced leg program for a person with a history of knee pain, building from the above:

Wall Sits (or squats) and Calf Raises
Step-Ups (or lunges) and Shin Raises
Band Side Walks and Stability Ball Glute-Bridge Adduction
Hamstring Curls and Slow Front Kicks
45 Degree Low Back Extensions (or deadlifts) and Band Terminal Knee Extensions
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:39 pm

The YRG Stand Up routine (probably mostly the various one legged stands) and the 12 minute foundation training lower back routine have always been magic manna for me. The Ebbets foot drills and the Alfredson Protocol seem to help too.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:05 pm

It's been my experience with knee pain that it stems from poor hip strength/alignment/function of some sort. Doing a general strength routing for the lower body of lunges, TRX glute bridge/hamstring curl combo, squats, swings/DLs takes care of the basic muscle work for the hips. In addition I so a bunch of running specific stuff like TKEs, hip drops, lateral band walks, etc.
Then there are the very running specific routines like the Myrtl Routine or the Ballista Routine that hit hip mobility and strength from different angles than basic squats/DLs.
Myrtl Routine: https://runnyday.in/myrtl-routine/
Ballista Routine: https://s3.amazonaws.com/StrengthRunnin ... ctions.pdf

Of course, none of this applies if you have an acute injury of the knee. This is mostly to prevent or help alleviate knee issues due to repetitive single plane stuff like running or cycling.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.