Red Meat = Back

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Red Meat = Back

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Is red meat back on the menu?

A controversial study says cutting down on sausages, mince, steak and all other forms of red or processed meat is a waste of time for most people.

The report - which disagrees with most major organisations on the planet - says the evidence is weak and any risk to people's health is small.

"We're not saying there is no risk, we're saying there is only low-certainty evidence of a very small reduction of cancer and other adverse health consequences of reducing red meat consumption."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49877237
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Red Meat = Back

Post by syaigh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 pm

I'd say most of the time red meat consumption is associated with poor health, it comes in the form of fast food cheeseburgers.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:27 pm

syaigh wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 pm
I'd say most of the time red meat consumption is associated with poor health, it comes in the form of fast food cheeseburgers.
It's an important point, one that this meta-analysis makes, that many of the previous studies have relied on very weak correlations with many, many, many confounds. The same Standard American Diet (SAD!) that may include a relatively large portion of red meat also includes the french fries, soda, and other garbage which muddy the analytical waters.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Same story with sodium and links to high blood pressure. Most new data is showing no correlation. The issue all along was probably the food all that salt was covering, not the sodium content.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:23 am

In one of the studies consumption of red meat correlated with many poor outcomes. Among them increased risk of accidental death and risk of violent death. What bewildered me at the time is this connection - which clearly implies that red meat is a confounder in itself - was not even touched upon in the discussion.

Health is complicated, especially when we talk about food consumed by generations of humans since dawn of time. Literally. BTW, is mammoth red meat, like a cow, or white, like pork?