Downsizing

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Downsizing

Post by syaigh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:29 pm

So, wonder if any of you have wondered about this.

I've been training and competing in strength sports for well over a decade. I've put on a lot of muscle and a lot of body weight as a result. I don't intend to stop strength training, but I'm thinking about moving on to strength as a maintenance activity and focus on my overall fitness (cardiovascular) and cut down my bodyweight. I'm also really enjoying getting back into more outdoor activities and am hoping to get back to horses full time (I used to train and compete in equestrian events in my teens and twenties, but now just want to ride through the woods).

I've noticed over the years that a lot of older people who are in good shape tend to eat less, and eat more plant and grain based foods. I've been eating a lot of protein for a long time and while I think that's appropriate for the activities I was doing, I'd like to eat a lighter protein diet with more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. My bodybuilding diet is actually not incompatible with this approach although I'd probably reduce my current protein intake from 150 grams a day to 80-100 grams a day.

I'm hoping that in 20 years, I'll still be strong, but be about 20 lbs lighter so that my joints won't suffer as much with age and I'll be able to do cool stuff with my grandkids like hike up mountains and take them surfing.

Anyway, have any of you backed off the orc life and transitioned back to elf? Anyone thinking about it?
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Downsizing

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Muscle or fat, too heavy is too heavy. Setting aside the *ahem* controversial subject of what constitutes an optimal diet, I think that first and foremost you should focus on quantities: how much food, how much strength training, and how much "movement" activities whether hiking, jogging, swimming, etc. Also how much booze. I used that to go from 272 and focused on big lifts to 208 and focused on grappling.

Now, in my gentleman farmer phase, I try to have a nearly balanced 3 strength sessions to 3-4 outdoor movement sessions, which are a mix of the activities I listed above. I weigh myself each day and can rapidly tell if I'm trending one way or the other and mitigate as needed.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 pm

I think each of us has an ideal bodyweight for our frame, and an ideal bodyweight for a given activity.

I'm 6'3" and my lightest was 167lbs. When I started Jiu-Jitsu I was 185, but experimented with different workout strategies and caloric intake and found my best weight for that sport was 215lbs (max was 223 and that extra size was impacting my mobility).

But my ideal weight for my frame seems to be 205lbs, and since I've quit Jiu-Jitsu, that's where I try to hang out.

Mostly just being conscious and keeping an eye on the scale, eating more often to gain weight and cleaner to lose it.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Muscle loss is probably inevitable in old age, but you can greatly mitigate it with lifting. Just look at the pictures of Clarence Bass: https://www.cbass.com/ClarenceBass79.htm

My concern with ageing is mobility and agility, more than keeping muscle. Though obviously they are all related. I live near the ocean, and there are couple of rocky spots around. It hurts me to watch people who look their sixties to use hands on their knees when they have to step onto a rock that is more than a foot high. Similarly, seeing in operating theatre elderly patients with broken bones from trivial falls.

One of the best tests of a patient's general state is to see him or her moving from the hospital bed onto the operating table. One meter, but some forty year olds take a good minute to achieve that, while some in their eighties get across in just one move. I want to be that guy if I make it to eighty.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 am

syaigh wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:29 pm
Anyway, have any of you backed off the orc life and transitioned back to elf? Anyone thinking about it?
It happened to me almost overnight at 41. I took a two-week layoff after a PL meet, and at the end of the two weeks my body said, "Fuck that shit. I'm so over it." Since then, it's been running, rucking, Easy Strength, and now GS. I'm a happier, livelier, more cheerful person now, and it's not a coincidence.
Bram wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 pm
I think each of us has an ideal bodyweight for our frame, and an ideal bodyweight for a given activity.
Amen. This body of mine just loves to be 170. Below 165 I'm weak. Above 175 I'm a little sluggish. Above 180 I'm dyspeptic and tired.
leansoliddogs.blog

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 am

JasonC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 am
syaigh wrote:
It happened to me almost overnight at 41. I took a two-week layoff after a PL meet, and at the end of the two weeks my body said, "Fuck that shit. I'm so over it." Since then, it's been running, rucking, Easy Strength, and now GS. I'm a happier, livelier, more cheerful person now, and it's not a coincidence.
Bram wrote:
Amen. This body of mine just loves to be 170. Below 165 I'm weak. Above 175 I'm a little sluggish. Above 180 I'm dyspeptic and tired.
It's been quite a long time since I gave up on hypertrophy-slash-strength training. Martial arts, kettlebells, calisthenics, Yoga, Original Strength and running are my thing now.

And, I don't know why, I'm developing a taste for the so-called Blue Zone Diet. My body kind of craves for an increased intake of veggies, fruits, legumes, poultry and fish. I won't be quitting meat for good, but I reduced significantly its consumption (not because it's a good idea, but because I don't care much for it anymore).

I'm 47 and maybe it's an age related thing, I don't know...

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:29 pm

I'll be 47 in a few weeks and yeah, I am just naturally craving different things and meat isn't necessarily one of them. Of course, prepping for a figure comp where i ate chicken breast 24-7 probably had something to do with that. I think I burned myself out on the high protein life.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Maybe it’s Maybelline?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 pm

I transitioned to this a few years ago. It became more important to me to move well and feel good...and look good, of course. ;)

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Yeah, this.
JasonC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 am
syaigh wrote:
Bram wrote:

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 pm
I transitioned a few years ago.
Caitlyn, is that you?

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 pm

\:D/
Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm
Mickey O'neil wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 pm
I transitioned a few years ago.
Caitlyn, is that you?

Really Big Strong Guy

Post by Really Big Strong Guy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:53 pm

This sums up exactly what I'm going through right now. Started out at 300+ last July. Now stuck on 265 and upping the movement to get back to my college weight of 240/250.

Still like to lift the heavier stuff, but enjoying challenging myself with maintaining a fast than training progressively heavier. Have cut way back on my caloric intake. Cannot and will never go vegan; but have cut my calories a good 1,000 per day over the past year.

Upping the yoga and other useless shenanigans. Actually going to increase my event volume.

It's the natural progression.
The cool thing about training is that becoming more sexy is just a side effect........

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am

You will not regret downsizing. From my rare salad days @235, I have been down to as low as 208. 215ish now approaching 60. Have greatly expanded my cardio last few years and <200 is the eventual target.

But here is the best part. My cardio, mainly incline treadmill and rucking, gave me the wake up call a few months ago that something wasn’t right. 8 months ago long heavy rucking and doing cardio in cited at altitude was going I noticed some dramatic falloff.

And Friday I had a angioplasty and got a stent put in my 75% blocked widow maker artery. I would have had no idea just lifting. Extended conditioning Saved my life. I had been cleaning up my diet before and was eating 2 meals most days. Dropping even more saturated fats and almost all junk carbs.

Do it.
Last edited by powerlifter54 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:19 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am
You will not regret downsizing. From my rare salad days @235, I have been down to as low as 208. 215ish now approaching 60. Have greatly expanded my cardio last few years and <200 is the eventual target.

But here is the best part. My cardio, mainly incline treadmill and rucking, gave me the wake up call a few months ago that something wasn’t right. 8 months ago long heavy rucking and doing cardio in cited at altitude was going I noticed some dramatic falloff.

And Friday I had a angioplasty and got a stent put in my 75% blocked widow maker artery. I would have had no idea just lifting. Extended conditioning Saved my life. I had been cleaning up my diet before and was eating 2 meals most days. Dropping even more saturated fats and almost all junk carbs.

Do it.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:10 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:18 am

Do it.

Thank you.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 am

How about a low-rep, low-fatigue, low-volume barbell program? All that wiry-strength Pavelisms...

Would that work to maintain a decent strength base while downsizing?

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:33 am

Trained heavy until 46. One day, I popped my sacrum and my body just didn't like it anymore. Moderately heavy kettlebells, a lot more running. Physically for me at 46/47, I finally got old athletically. Played indoor soccer, just noticed I was one step slower and getting calf pulls. Basketball, the body at full speed didn't want to do what the brain knew to do. Baseball, I used was a 3rd baseman into college and had a real good throwing arm. I remember the day it went. I was playing catch with another coach at a distance of about 60 feet and the ball had no snap on it when I threw it.

Good news is at 50, I'm in good shape can run 5 miles at a clip and still do most kettlebell programs, though I don't snatch a 24 as well as I used to.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 am
How about a low-rep, low-fatigue, low-volume barbell program? All that wiry-strength Pavelisms...

At 58, for me, the combination of a minimalist PttP/GtG/easy strength abbreviated routine coupled to Maffetone-esque hill hiking and running has been magical. Resistance stuff is just some form of deadlift, some form of press (mil or, more often, dips) and chins (but trying curls). Leaned out, kept strength, retained decent muscle mass, greatly increased endurance and, most importantly, health and my sense of well being. Best of all, the enjoyment that now comes with it, replacing the dread of near death experience training.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Why doesn't anybody swim? I don't know if this is a regional thing or not but here even the cheap gyms over a given size have a 25 yd pool.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Prefer the outdoors. When it gets too snowy, snowshoeing is still a better choice.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:46 pm
Why doesn't anybody swim? I don't know if this is a regional thing or not but here even the cheap gyms over a given size have a 25 yd pool.
What do you do these days?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 pm

It's hard to beat a good walk in the woods. Apparently there are studies showing that spending even one day in nature improves the markers of immune system. For me there is something metaphysical about the forest, energy, spirit, whatever, nothing relaxes me more for the next few days. And several days of hunting have the effect of several week's holiday.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Very much agree. I get out in the woods as much as possible, either mountain biking or hiking.
Sangoma wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 pm
It's hard to beat a good walk in the woods. Apparently there are studies showing that spending even one day in nature improves the markers of immune system. For me there is something metaphysical about the forest, energy, spirit, whatever, nothing relaxes me more for the next few days. And several days of hunting have the effect of several week's holiday.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Sua Sponte wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 pm
SubClaw wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 am

At 58, for me, the combination of a minimalist PttP/GtG/easy strength abbreviated routine coupled to Maffetone-esque hill hiking and running has been magical. Resistance stuff is just some form of deadlift, some form of press (mil or, more often, dips) and chins (but trying curls). Leaned out, kept strength, retained decent muscle mass, greatly increased endurance and, most importantly, health and my sense of well being. Best of all, the enjoyment that now comes with it, replacing the dread of near death experience training.
I like this a lot and have done the same type of program years ago. May be a good idea to do it again in a few months.